Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Indoles.. love them and hate them... now I know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I think I know what you two mean about this. A strong indolic note invades the whole head.

Wow, Actiasluna, that is one healthy Photinia! We have them, too, but they've not had that many blooms, at least in recent years. I don't love or hate indoles, but what I find is that I crave them in small doses from time to time. That is when I get out my Amaranthine decant (must get a bottle!) or my Saffron James Nani.

Regarding the cat pee and male juice (!) smells, I'm OK with them in small doses or from a distance. Interesting discussion here!
    The photinia in my yard must be special. (actually, I believe it's been left to its own devizes for several years, the landscaping here has the earmarks of my old horticultural science landscape architect teacher's plant choices, and she was known for SHOWY. That, it is. In the rain, now, it's not as pronounced but the wet-mushroomy smell is still detectable.) Honestly I haven't seen another like it in this town (which is a "tree city" and a lot of the homeowners go kind of wild).

I can see how those "heart notes" of the Photinia would be nice with an oakmoss, with cedarwood... with vetiver... it would make a lovely earthy smell.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Here in the Pacific Northwest, photinias are trees. 20 feet is nothing. The rhododendrons here also grow to be 20 feet tall. So do the Himalayan blackberry vines, one of the 10 plagues of the Pacific Northwest. When I moved out here, I employed the strategy I had learned elsewhere of planting 20 things for every one that will survive. Here, I plant 20 things and, not only do they all survive, they produce 40 more within a year. Garden plants seem to spontaneously generate. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    Here in the Pacific Northwest, photinias are trees. 20 feet is nothing. The rhododendrons here also grow to be 20 feet tall. So do the Himalayan blackberry vines, one of the 10 plagues of the Pacific Northwest. When I moved out here, I employed the strategy I had learned elsewhere of planting 20 things for every one that will survive. Here, I plant 20 things and, not only do they all survive, they produce 40 more within a year. Garden plants seem to spontaneously generate. LOL!
    Yes they do. I miss that, living in OK. The Scotch broom and blackberries, on the other hand, I can do without, PNW-style. It's like a horticultural land of the giants up there, compared to Oklahoma!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

I've a bottle of 10% Indole in Isopropyl Myristrate. Believe it or not, it does not smell fecal or rotting as you thought it would. Although recently, I recognize it as part of the smell that you get when "you walk by a street on a warm evening and someone just been washed off horseshit off the street with water so a bit of it still lingers."
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Just a FYI... my Photinia passed the phase where it starts to smell strongly and is now nearly unnoticeable. I DID notice that the Photinia bushes at work are in their full-on-glorious-stink phase (sewer + skank deluxe) right now, so I am wondering whether the apparent Photinia I have is just a "more-cultured cultivar" or another thing altogether.

And I believe that the lily-of-the-valley in Anthracite may be what turns to athletic pong + white floral skank on my skin. (reminded me SO much of the stink of a soccer pal who wore a LARGE scent that turned very unpleasant on his soccer-sweaty skin)...annoying because I adore Anthracite's top and heart. (may just have to find a scent to make it all better when the Anthracite reaches the base.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 24th April 2010 at 02:51 AM.