Code of Conduct

Default Montana Parfum d'Homme

I'm on a blind buying spree lately! I just ordered Montana Parfum d'Homme but I need someone to set me straight on this fragrance because I'm a little unclear about the multiple versions. My understanding is this:

There is the vintage Montana Parfum d'Homme designed by Edouard Flechier released in 1989, now discontinued, made in France that comes in a red box. This version I see going on eBay for as much as $80 a bottle.

I also see another version of the classic Montana Parfum d'Homme in a red box however this one appears to be made in Italy and not in France and can be had for $30 or less. Apparently there is no difference in smell or the difference is nearly imperceptible. The only visible differences to me based on my extensive searching are their manufacturer origins and the spelling of "Natural Spray". On the vintage version I believe it says "Naturel Vaporisateur".

Then, there is the reformulation brought into production in 2001 that comes in a blue box and is called Montana Pour Homme.

Can anyone else expand on this or correct me if I'm wrong?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Montana Parfum d'Homme

Quote Originally Posted by stoavio View Post
    I'm on a blind buying spree lately! I just ordered Montana Parfum d'Homme but I need someone to set me straight on this fragrance because I'm a little unclear about the multiple versions. My understanding is this:

There is the vintage Montana Parfum d'Homme designed by Edouard Flechier released in 1989, now discontinued, made in France that comes in a red box. This version I see going on eBay for as much as $80 a bottle.

I also see another version of the classic Montana Parfum d'Homme in a red box however this one appears to be made in Italy and not in France and can be had for $30 or less. Apparently there is no difference in smell or the difference is nearly imperceptible. The only visible differences to me based on my extensive searching are their manufacturer origins and the spelling of "Natural Spray". On the vintage version I believe it says "Naturel Vaporisateur".

Both Montana Parfum d'Homme versions (Red Box) are virtually indistinguishable from one another. Buy and use the less expensive one.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Also, Adidas Sport Field seems like an attempt to do something very similar, so that's another, "super cheapo" option.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 9th April 2013 at 07:27 AM.

Thanks guys.

kbe, I'm glad you responded because I had read some of your opinions of montana elsewhere here (or perhaps another forum) and I'm glad you cleared that up. I was a little worried my version wouldn't smell as good as the vintage so thank you for assuaging that concern.

Bigsly, I think I remember you (or maybe someone else) saying the same thing in another thread. Without a doubt I would give preference to Montana before Adidas simply because I view Adidas as the el cheapo, readily available, drugstore option for 8th grade boys whereas I see Montana as a scent with a history and a talent behind it. I also like that it's more obscure because I enjoy the mystique of wearing a fragrance that first of all, most people wouldn't have heard of and secondly, can't be had by just going to the nearest department store.
    Last edited by stoavio; 15th April 2010 at 03:57 AM.

Yet another option is Z-14.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 9th April 2013 at 07:28 AM.

I can't compare the two red box versions. I only have the second version, the one made in Italy.
    I can say that it differs significantly from the blue box version. See my BN reviews for original (red) and current (blue).
    "By way of comparison, the revamped Montana pour Homme in the blue box is a simpler, more translucent scent. It is drier, more lemony. It is more fresh and greener than the original – and thus I prefer it. But the original is a very worthy scent."
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Just got mine in the mail today. While I like it alright to me it smells like it's straight from the 80s which obviously it is (to me, at my age...this isn't a good thing). Although it was formulated in the 80s, I didn't know if it would smell more modern. Anyone else feel this way? At 22, should I be wearing this or do you think it's too dated smelling? I think it could be great for my Dad (he's 51).
    Last edited by stoavio; 16th April 2010 at 03:31 AM.

It's too old for me and I'm considerably older than you. Like I said, Sport Field seemed to be an attempt to "modernize" this kind of frag, though on the cheap, of course.

A similar, and in my opinion better choice would be Havana from Aramis... Take away the leather, and add rum & tobacco, and you have Havana... The same perfumer created both scents... Havana should be available in most major department stores, so do take it for a spin...

**EDIT**

Havana has leather in it as well, but it is much less prominent...
    Last edited by KMF; 16th April 2010 at 03:46 AM.

Thanks Bigsley and KMF. So... who wants to buy a brand new bottle of Montana Parfum d'Homme (red box) for $22.00 shipped? :P

Bought it blind about a year ago,it was very cheap and at the moment it's still available for almost nothing.
    Soon I disliked it and I gived the almost full bottle away.The box was ugly,the bottle made me depressive,it seemed like a little horror castle to me,and the scent itself was stuffy and boring. So I regretted I bought this Montana.

I know what you are saying, stoavio. In my opinion, the blue box version is an example of a successful reformulation, actually zeroing in on elements I like, increasing them, and toning down the 80's vibe.
    But the red box version has its fans. For that, I apply in pretty small doses and can appreciate it in that way. Sit on it for a while, try it occasionally. You may (or may not) change your mind.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thanks for the feedback guys. My mind is already made up I'm afraid. The scent just isn't me. I don't think it's bad by any means...but I just don't think I can identify with it.

It's looking for a new home if anyone's interested.

I also agree that the blue box version (reformulation) is my favourite - I too have both and prefer the 2001 version - much fresher and long lasting !

Well, I've changed my opinion on this one, but that seems to be due to my sensitivity changing over time. I try to avoid the opening blast of lavender as much as possible, and that seems to help considerably. I also changed my opinion on Sport Field, which I now think is a bit too "cheap" for me to enjoy, though it deserves some credit for "going old school" while retaining a bit of uniqueness. Blue box has too much lemon/orange up top and I don't find the base to be that interesting, nor superior to frags I have with similar bases. However, Red Box is definitely "old school" and not at all for the younger crowd, unless they understand these old frags and don't mind wearing them, of course. Mine says Made in Italy.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I do not think that Montana pour Homme is/was meant to be a reformulation of Montana Parfum d'Homme. The only things they have in common are the shape of the bottle and the Montana name. "Montana" aside, their names are not even similar. I doubt that a lemon-prominent frag would be issued as a re-introduction of a leather oriental.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I do not think that Montana pour Homme is/was meant to be a reformulation of Montana Parfum d'Homme. The only things they have in common are the shape of the bottle and the Montana name. "Montana" aside, their names are not even similar. I doubt that a lemon-prominent frag would be issued as a re-introduction of a leather oriental.
    I agree. The Blue Box "Montana Homme" is the Montana Luca Turin reviews in his book Perfumes: The Guide as a two-star woody, dry lemon work of little interest and 'not as he remembered it to be'. Was he remembering the Parfum d'Homme? Probably not as he would almost certainly know the two are very different scents.

I have both the original French production and the later Italian production of Montana Parfum d'Homme. I find the two versions to be identical for all practical purposes and one of my long time go-to favorites. I have yet to try Montana Homme.
    Last edited by kbe; 7th December 2010 at 12:13 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I too got caught up in this web of confusion.

I really dig Aramis Havana. After reading some reviewers favorably comparing Montana Parfum D'Homme to Havana and because it was a cheap blind buy, I ordered what I thought was the real deal from one of the common, run of the mill onliners. It came sans box. The bottle was pretty much the same (I thought) to the pictures. Nevertheless I was unimpressed with the bland citrus and that bottle was discarded.

Recently, I'd stumbled across those old reviews and some relavant threads here. Don't know why, but back then I'd missed the cogent distinction between Montana Pour Homme (blue box - which is the juice I'd obviously been sent) and Montana Parfum D'Homme (red box - which shares common character with Havana). Becoming straight on this, I prompty ordered Parfum D'Homme, which coincidentally just arrived and is sitting before me. Yep, close enough to Havana at least on the open. I am old school and I endorse the spicey Parfum D'homme! Pour Homme, meh.

I also have the second release of the red box and I enjoy it immensely. Saw a Made in Italy box but hesitated to buy it. Still curious to check if they are any different.

I also have Havana and Havana Reserva but it seem to reach more often for this. I find it more similar to the Reserva than the original.

People say they find this dated but I'm not so sure about it. It is definitely less dated than scents like Giorgio for Men, Versace l'Homme, de la Renta Pour Lui, Fendi Uomo, Lauder for Men and maybe even Azzaro Pour Homme. It is ironic how the box is red but the juice to me smells smells quite blue. I like this!

The original Montana Parfum d'Homme is a classic IMO.

The blue box Montana is not a reformulation, is just another different (and really excellent musky/floral) fragrance that i kept to really appreciate "at distance" in the time. The dry down is incredibly refined and timeless.

Hi guys,

On the subject of the red box, where does it indicate where it was made - France / Italy?

Kind regards

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    Hi guys,

On the subject of the red box, where does it indicate where it was made - France / Italy?

Kind regards
    Mine shows it on the bottom portion of the back box panel.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Okay thanks. Much appreciated.

Best wishes.