Code of Conduct

Default Best sites to buy samples/decants for niche fragrances?

Hello! I'm a newbie in the world of niche' fragrances. I've mainly bought designer fragrances in the past and only recently bought my first bottle of SL Un bois Vanille That and AG Le Jasmin are the ones I've been using lately. There are so much out there that I'd love to try but I'm unsure of which sites to order from.. I've heard of the Perfume Court and the Posh Peasant, but that's about it.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The notes that I love so far are Vanilla, Jasmine, and Tonka bean. I also like light floral scents. Scents that I've liked in the past are Calyx, Lalique Flora Bella, Stella Nude, Lush Vanillary.

Please feel free to suggest any other niche fragrances that I should try as I need all the help I can get!

Thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best sites to buy samples/decants for niche fragrances?

Hi and welcome to Basenotes!

Samples are the way to go. Few of us buy full bottles without smelling it first. Even though the price per ml of perfume is far more expensive than full bottles, you can try out a far greater variety of perfumes for your money. There was a thread about where to buy samples a little while ago. See it here, lots of good links.

fragrancenet.com is nice, even amazon but you have to be careful

Right, and don't forget to check out the BaseNotes sales forum, where many of us (including myself) have extra samples we are willing to swap or sell.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

www.theperfumedcourt.com huge inventory but a bit exensive
    www.decantshop.com good selection and good prices
    www.surrendertochance.com good selection and good prices
    Last edited by Attila; 2nd February 2014 at 06:24 PM.

Lots of good advice already given above from the links.

Aedes de Venustas have a generous sample program from their collection (good niche coverage, esp 'basic' niche like L'artisan and Serge Lutens), $15 for any 7 1-ml samples of practically any scent, inc S&H, within the US.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

if u like MFK fragrances check out their official site.
    very cheap, 12 euro for a set of 4 2ml sprays delivered.

actually cheaper to buy from the official site than it is to get in on a MFK split here on BN !

Quote Originally Posted by cjcrute View Post
    The notes that I love so far are Vanilla, Jasmine, and Tonka bean. I also like light floral scents.
    Try Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower / Dior's Jadore / Guerlain's Samsara & Shalimar / Chanel's Coco Chanel & Mademoiselle / Poeme by Lancome...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Parfum1.com has a deal going on...buy 'discovery sets' get a free metal atomizer I bought samples of every Ramon Monegal scent.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Parfum1.com has a deal going on...buy 'discovery sets' get a free metal atomizer I bought samples of every Ramon Monegal scent.

Post Thanks / Like

essenza-nobile.de retails decants of almost any of the designer and niche scents they regularly have in stock, plus they also offer international shipping.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhbhatti88 View Post
    Aedes de Venustas have a generous sample program from their collection (good niche coverage, esp 'basic' niche like L'artisan and Serge Lutens), $15 for any 7 1-ml samples of practically any scent, inc S&H, within the US.
    thumbs up for this one. I also just got a bunch of samples from them with my carnal flower order.

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to add that I recently purchased from Decantshop.com and had a very good experience. Order took a bit long to ship, but when I emailed them about it, they apologized profusely, explaining they had just run out of one of the fragrances. They sent a coupon for 10% off as well as a free sample of a scent of a my choice from a list they gave (I went with Green Irish Tweed, though Aventus, Dior Homme, etc. were on the list). Just great customer service and very reasonable prices. Can't compete with the selection of surrendertochance.com, but I'd definitely recommend them if they have what you're looking for. For me, it was perfect - able to sample some Acqua di Parma's I'd been after, as well as Sycomore and Montale's Red Vetyver. Thumbs up!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I ve spent 50 dollars on samples lately. maybe within the past month. comparing it to the money I lost on a few blind buys I did a year ago, it comes out to be cheaper. especially if you are spending over 150 dollars for a new bottle of fragrance that you dont know what it smells like.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Check BN split board, I bought a bunch there when I started. Best part is if some of the decants grow old on you, you can swap them with tons of samples on BN, just watch the boards of who is interested in what.
    Else, I find luckyscent a very reliable source, even though the samples are quite tiny (0.7ml).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    Check BN split board, I bought a bunch there when I started. Best part is if some of the decants grow old on you, you can swap them with tons of samples on BN, just watch the boards of who is interested in what.
    Else, I find luckyscent a very reliable source, even though the samples are quite tiny (0.7ml).
    they do give you a bagfull of other samples free too
    I once ordered a sample of heeley sel marin from them and got like 6 other ones that I have never heard of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    they do give you a bagfull of other samples free too
    I once ordered a sample of heeley sel marin from them and got like 6 other ones that I have never heard of.
    I wouldn't count on this being the norm. I have purchased samples from luckyscent on a couple of occasions and was sent only exactly what I ordered.