Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stetson - What the....?!

Saw a small bottle of Coty Stetson Cologne Spray on Ebay for very little money so I thought, what the hell, let’s see what smelling like a cowboy is all about and WHOA! What the….!? Now don’t get me wrong - I had read that this was quite an unusual fragrance in that it was considered by some to be quite ‘androgynous’ but I wasn’t quite ready for this!!

The picture on the bottle is a cowboy with a lasso – I expected a little bit of sweaty leather or a splash of civet but, no, what I got was lemon, bergamot then powdery sweet vanilla, amber and musk – this doesn’t conjure up images of dusty plains and cattle ranching – this is more sipping Pastis in a Parisienne café!

Am I really expected to believe that this is what the traditional all-American cowboy would wear to the local saloon - I can never watch John Wayne again, although, hang on…wasn’t he really called Marion? This is starting to make sense….!

Joking apart, I quite like Stetson – It seems to have great lasting power and I kept getting little whiffs of all kinds of things, Patchouli, Vanilla, Musk, Citrus notes – it’s certainly not dull!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stetson - What the....?!

Heh heh, young feller. You jess keep a-wearin' that there Stetson and your corral'll be filled with fillies in NO time! (This filly's been wearin' it for YEARS!!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

Stetson is a fabulous scent and horribly underrated. I think the whole cowboy image nonsense is done to get macho guys to buy it. I don't think Stetson is a macho-smelling scent, but I do find it to be very masculine smelling (there is a difference). I find it to be extremely floral, and that of course opens the floodgates for jokes about it being a feminine in disguise, etc... I love floral fragrances, so naturally I like Stetson.
    Last edited by shamu1; 15th April 2010 at 02:06 PM.

The scent and the image are hilariously mismatched in my opinion.

I find the powdery scent of Stetson to be like a feminine Guerlain!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Stetson is one of the industry's inside jokes... this is an example of gender being marketing.

Tania Sanchez says, "as rugged and masculine as the lingerie level at Saks Fifth Avenue . . . I'd truly love a man who wore this, but in the absence of one, I'll gladly wear it myself."
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Stetson is a fabulous scent and horribly underrated. I think the whole cowboy image nonsense is done to get macho guys to buy it. I don't think Stetson is a macho-smelling scent, but I do find it to be very masculine smelling (there is a difference). I find it to be extremely floral, and that of course opens the floodgates for jokes about it being a feminine in disguise, etc... I love floral fragrances, so naturally I like Stetson.
    I agree completely Shamu1 - just some tongue-in-cheek fun! I've wanted to sample Stetson since I missed out whilst in the States last year. It was everywhere, drugstores, convenience stores etc. I bought Dana English Leather and a few other 'cheapies' but somehow missed Stetson....anyway - got a 35ml cologne spray on Ebay for just £1.65!!!! It seems to be quite old - it's not the current bottle design. The drydown reminds me of Guerlain Shalimar to some extent and I like the slight muskiness and the way different notes seem to keep emerging - it's very moreish! It's certainly not a macho fragrance as you said but it has a certain confidence and a smooth assertiveness and I imagine it could be very versatile. Possibly the best value purchase to date!

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

After days and nights on the trail with cows, coping with wood smoke and the usual scents (odours) of saloons, etc, i am not too sure cowboys would want their frags reminding them of the hardship of life. Stetson smells like a good escape from what we know of cowboy life.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Stetson - What the....?!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    Tania Sanchez says, "as rugged and masculine as the lingerie level at Saks Fifth Avenue . . . I'd truly love a man who wore this, but in the absence of one, I'll gladly wear it myself."
    Which makes one think what kind of attire Luca must wear at night for her?

mrclmind, I've come to the conclusion that nearly all of Coty's offerings for men nowadays are an inside joke.

*sigh*

Pax, Purdners!

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 16th April 2010 at 06:34 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    After days and nights on the trail with cows, coping with wood smoke and the usual scents (odours) of saloons, etc, i am not too sure cowboys would want their frags reminding them of the hardship of life. Stetson smells like a good escape from what we know of cowboy life.
    you ever thought of being their PR guy? damn that's good.

Post Thanks / Like

The marketing of this as a "rugged" scent is such a joke. Whenever I see this one advertised with the cowboy photos (in magazines) I have to laugh! Having said that, I really like Stetson, even though the advertising had originally led me to believe that it was going to smell rather austere, like Yatagan by Caron. The first time I sampled this one, I couldn't believe it was so non-masculine, which is not a bad thing. To me, Stetson is a very nice floral-dominated chypre, and one which I really enjoy wearing (anyway, I'm an urbanite - the antithesis of an American cowboy).

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the world would be like if Acqua di Gio was marketed like Stetson, and vice versa... ?
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Well, the opening is quite animalic, so it might remind cowboys of certain aspects of their normal life that they would rather not step in. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Stetson is for girls. Real men wear Carnal Flower.

Personally, I really can't stand it - way too powdery. I think if you like it and want something more rich, rugged, and animalic in a similar vein, try Shalimar in extrait. No, I'm not poking fun here, I'm serious!

Post Thanks / Like

I started a thread a few months ago proclaiming that Stetson is the greatest joke ever played by a perfumer. I've always felt the imagery is more suited for Aramis than Stetson. If you're ever in the mood for a big, shoulder-padded, powdery jasmine buttressed by some nice musk, Stetson is your man or should I say woman!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Takes all kinda cowboys to make a ranch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajTNlooZKE

No big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Stetson - What the....?!

"But the ones that brag loudest are the ones that are most likely queer..." Awful but Willie's delivery is so deadpan I can't help cracking up.

I haven't smelled it in a while but my recollection was that Stetson smells great in the powder-bomb mold for an hour or two and then completely falls apart before vanishing into nothingness.

The Shalimar extrait suggestion is interesting...

Post Thanks / Like

This is one pretty good Frag. It's an underated masculine Floral

How many of you who also tried Lutece think that they are very similar?

Post Thanks / Like

Weird stuff. The "Woods & Spice" they advertise is there to last, if you apply copious amounts. Actually if you apply a lot it takes a very very long time for it to fade to the powder or so it seems. Of course my nose could be desensitized to the powder since I've been wearing Royal Copenhagen at least once a week.

What was weird is I purposefully tried to wear something annoying to work about two weeks ago, then wore this the next day and was getting compliments that it smelled good.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Stetson - What the....?!

Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    What was weird is I purposefully tried to wear something annoying to work about two weeks ago
    Dunno about anyone else but I know *I* would like to hear the prologue on this...

Post Thanks / Like

I had started a thread about wearing something annoying to hopefully provoke a reaction out of this old guy I work with. Anyway I still hadn't gotten out to buy anything so I just wore a lot of Royal Copenhagen that day (which got no reaction from anyone, either that or they wouldn't say anything). So I wore Stetson the day after, and a lot more than I'd usually wear of a cologne. Aside from getting complimented on it (surprising as I wore a LOT), the woods and spice they like to advertise are there seemingly as a middle note, if you wear enough so that it takes long to get to the powdery drydown. Actually though if it stays at this phase it is more masculine if you ask me. Regardless I tried again today with English Leather, but the modern version is just too short lived and weak to provoke a reaction unfortunately. I just hate to use something expensive for a joke, I'll try Brut on Wednesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a small spray today on a whim. An old guy I used to lift weights with wore it years ago, and I always liked it. Anyway, it's really a nice masculine scent and I am enjoying it. Besides, you can't beat the Beaver and Eagle Crest on the box! It's in the powdery genre and a designer comparison might be RL Safari.

I'd compare it to JHL, if you want to compare it to a high-quality "designer" frag. I will wear JHL, but I don't think I'll wear Stetson any more, other than a dab on the wrist to sample it for reference purposes. It's got a weird progression and I'm not sure of the quality of the ingredients, but the main reason is that there are alternatives I much prefer, and I'm not a big fan of this kind of frag in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Stetson is great!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Takes all kinda cowboys to make a ranch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajTNlooZKE

No big deal.
    Wow! that's hilarious. I'm a fan of Willie Nelson but I never heard that one.

As to Stetson, I used to have it when I was younger and didn't know better. The girls all liked it and said it smelled "manly". I liked it ok but secretly thought it smelled flowery. Now years later, after discovery of basenotes, I finally get the joke.

"Studson" as I've heard someone say, long ago, I think is not evocative of a cowboy or his way of life -- it's the fragrance of the apparel company. Stetson is known for their hats. They have also had their name on other wearable goods like shirts & boots. While the fragrance is not my cup of tea, I think it goes rather well with those who wear that style of clothing.

I've heard of many women falling for men who wear this fragrance. Not all of them were cows either nor were they featured on the "people of walmart" site.

Stetson is not bad, but it's not very good either. It's also not a very good value; if you want an inexpensive Woodsy Oriental you can get the Lauder Mustang or YSL Opium for not much more money.

Even if I liked Stetson I could never get past the photos of Tom Brady going all Brokeback Mountain.
    Last edited by ubergeek; 21st June 2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: changed comma to semicolon

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a bad value if you get it on sale but the price has gotten into the realm of not being cheap anymore. $10 a bottle? Pretty fair. Getting upwards of $20, expensive. I bough some in giftsets at Christmas, I've worn it. It isn't bad, sure there are better deals though. I'm wearing Jade East Musk today and while not the same lines as this, it can be had for $15 a bottle and smells like it uses higher quality ingredients.