Code of Conduct

Default Polo Black confusion..

I'm 99.9% sure I tried Polo Black when it first came out at Macy's, but I really just can't remember the smell at all. With that in mind I was at Dollar Tree and saw a knock off of Polo Black by Jean Philippe. They actually make Silver Jeans I believe which I've never tried, but they make a ton of knockoffs that Dollar Tree sells. Anyways.. to the point; When I spray it I get this insanely creamy and fruity aroma.. the fruits smell like mango and cantaloupe from what I can get, it's hard to sniff out notes on a knockoff of a frag you've never tried (or at least don't remember at all) and pinpoint just what's going on -- especially on a knockoff that costs a buck. Anyways.. what really intrigues me is this creamy-ness, I mean it's insane! Like nothing I've ever smelled. Does this sound like Polo Black? Or is it just an appealing knockoff with its own little thing going on?
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 15th April 2010 at 11:14 PM.

Default Re: Polo Black confusion..

It sounds as if the knockoff achieved greater depth and intrigue than the mediocre fragrance it was aspiring to be. I find that most knockoffs shoot for the top notes and lose any lasting resemblance to the original towards the heart and base notes (hell, most knockoffs don't even come with base notes!). The mango-fruity vibe is definitely reminiscent of Polo Black, but I don't recall Polo Black having much creaminess to it. In fact, it's rather synthetic and wears kind of thin on the skin, if you can understand the imagery. It smells as if its thin, sharp, or something to that effect. That was just my experience with Polo Black...

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    It sounds as if the knockoff achieved greater depth and intrigue than the mediocre fragrance it was aspiring to be. I find that most knockoffs shoot for the top notes and lose any lasting resemblance to the original towards the heart and base notes (hell, most knockoffs don't even come with base notes!). The mango-fruity vibe is definitely reminiscent of Polo Black, but I don't recall Polo Black having much creaminess to it. In fact, it's rather synthetic and wears kind of thin on the skin, if you can understand the imagery. It smells as if its thin, sharp, or something to that effect. That was just my experience with Polo Black...
    Thanks, that's kind of what I thought.. I don't remember this creaminess, it's actually quite good. (In its 10 minute lifespan) I do agree 100% on the knock offs just going for the top notes. They often have horrible longevity and just dry down to a faded version of the top notes.

I found Polo Black to be moderately pleasant. It's a different type of fruity than I am typically into, but it wasn't bad. The dry down reminded me a bit of the dry down of AdG, actually. I also wouldn't call it smooth or creamy. I bit 'sharp' makes sense, but really not that bad at all. If I received it as a gift I'd wear it.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Polo Black is one of the most chemical, synthetic smelling things I've ever encountered. It smells like some sort of rancid watermelon vodka slushy to my nose, and only gets worse as it settles in. I made the mistake of buying a 10ml bottle for $5 and splashing some on before playing golf. I ended up using half my water trying to scrub it off when my friends wernt looking!

That said, I don't think theres much for a knock-off to live up to, so I'm not surprised they did a better job than the original.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 16th April 2010 at 12:57 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576