Code of Conduct

Default Forums display problems since yesterday?

Anyone else having to deal with some issues with unusual display on the board???

In all the sections, the threads appear to be loading normally but then as soon as they all load up for display, the gap between the threads doubles up or something and consequently the page looks unbalanced.

I thought it was my browser issue, so I cleared up the cookies but the problem persists.
    Then I tried opening the page in Mozilla Firefox but the display is just like it is in Google Chrome.

It's just making it a wee bit difficult to focus due to the unwieldy way the thread titles are displayed.

Default Re: Forums display problems since yesterday?

I am using Chrome on a PC and can report no such issues. Perhaps the Saturday forum update has something to do with it.

Did you also clear your browser's cache? It also might be worth checking your thread display settings by going to the top of the page and clicking through the green Forum --> Forum Actions --> General Settings --> Thread Display Options area and tinkering.

That's all I've got mate, sorry.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Same thing happens to me,
    I just remove the 'Recent Articles'
    thingie to the right, and it's all good!

Thanks for your help guys. I did clear the cache too but it didn't resolve the issue.

But yeah, shifting the recent articles thingy to the right helped, DUC..

I don't know if this is related, but I am now having a spot of trouble with the log in function. The "user name" prompt no longer automatically disappears as I am typing in my user name so I have to do a backspace and delete before I can finish logging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I don't know if this is related, but I am now having a spot of trouble with the log in function. The "user name" prompt no longer automatically disappears as I am typing in my user name so I have to do a backspace and delete before I can finish logging in.
    Same problem here.

Also having the same problem as gupts and Duc..removing the Recent Articles thingy helps though.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Although I am now on a fiber optic 6000+ kbps U-verse line pages from (only) this site have loaded slooooooooly on and off for the past few days--up to 2-3 minutes for some. A few times I had to just click out and go surf normal fast speed elsewhere for a while. Then, returning in 10-15 minutes or so things get back to normal.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Although I am now on a fiber optic 6000+ kbps U-verse line pages from (only) this site have loaded slooooooooly on and off for the past few days--up to 2-3 minutes for some. A few times I had to just click out and go surf normal fast speed elsewhere for a while. Then, returning in 10-15 minutes or so things get back to normal.
    Yeah, I have experienced that too!
    And like you, I sometime give up,
    surf a bit, and return after a couple
    of minutes!

Another thing that happened to me a couple of times today is that the site suddenly started loading again and it sent me to the homepage. Never happened before.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Houston, we have a problem.
    I have noted since the last update:

1. inconsistent wait times for full loading of new pages or switching forums or posting in Basenotes of from 1 to 4 minutes. Other times almost instant, but maybe the next change of page is right back to the long wait or the never will change mode. I was previously on AOL 9.0 Dialup at never more than about 49,000bps with a slight wait from time to time but nothing like the wait time now.

2. Sometimes pages 'never' load and I have to exit Basenotes and re-enter to get anything close to a decent load time.

I am on ATT Uverse 6000+ kbps. access the Internet via AOL 9.5 and have no problems with almost instant loading of any other site I go to. What gives?

Typical of the screen views while I wait for minutes for loading if I dare move the right side slide bar before fully loading:

Last edited by kbe; 15th April 2010 at 12:45 PM.

I've noticed an intermittent lag since Grant moved the site back to the UK. It was formerly hosted not even 20 miles from me in Portland so everything was lightning fast. Now that the site is across the pond it is noticeably slower. I use Opera as my internet browser which displays the download speed as pages load and I've seen Basenotes temporarily slow to only a 20kb/second. This page itself is 549,847kb and others similar so I definitely notice when it happens.

That and I hate the bar on the right. It starts in the "open" state every time then executes it's collapsing script only once the page is completely loaded so the page is jumping all over until it's finished rendering. The Twitter feed script executes after the collapsing script which makes the sidebar open back up then close again when Twitter is finished. The occasional delay above exacerbates this annoyance. I've taken to blocking as many scripts as possible, and Twitter entirely (i'm sooo not web 2.0), to minimize these problems

The summary at the bottom of the old forum layout was far less intrusive. I wonder if Grant has the ability to view statistics on how often the sidebar links are clicked? Is it actually useful or liked by anyone? Maybe but for me personally I almost always forget to view blog entries since the system upgrade. I wish they were linked to somewhere other than the damned sitebar.

/end rant
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 15th April 2010 at 02:57 AM.

The last couple of days we've experienced
    that we cannot get to BN at all.
    This last for 20 minutes upto several hours
    ... whats up with that?!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    The last couple of days we've experienced
    that we cannot get to BN at all.
    This last for 20 minutes upto several hours
    ... whats up with that?!
    I agree, what's the deal with that? It's been maddening.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I'm on cable modem and using Chrome (on a new iMac) and I had problems yesterday, BN just seemed to be down for several hours in the afternoon.
    Usually is lightning-fast.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

From my end BN has had frequent hick-ups for weeks. Maybe someone thinks there are too many new threads on the male fragrance board than fit on a days page ???

Sometimes breaks last so long that I forget about timing them and close the connection for the day. Fortunately this is the only site I have had problems with during the past 12 months. (Flickr used to be the other candidate.) When things are fine, connections are fast and moving around is no problem at all. I have none of the specific problems KBE describes.
    Last edited by narcus; 17th April 2010 at 01:16 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Yeah, that's been happening to me too. Sometimes I can't get on the site for 30 minutes or so, or when I post it doesn't post and firefox tells me it can't connect...?
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Yes, that is happening here as well. Not being able to post for extreme lengths of time, or actually, having posts not quite making it through even after I see the "redirecting" page.

Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 18th April 2010 at 01:47 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Grant I hope you read this. I don't know what the heck is going on with the site but gettin on and navagating on Basenotes with a very high speed connection has been like shuffling my feet along the Autobahn. Agonizingly slow.

If I were a new visitor to this site and didn't know how wonderful this site is, and encountered this incredible slowness, I don't think I would come back. If it is just me then I have the problem, but it is only this site so I doubt if it is just me.

Really. You should look into this. I am about to take a sabbatical as I cannot abide the time it takes to navigate.