Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Newbie asking for a recommendation - in a weird way

It will be a while until I can test most of them.

This forum looks dangerous though. For my wallet.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 17th April 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Hillaire

Querelle by Parfumerie Generale

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    +1 Quoted for truth. LOL.

This is a very interesting question indeed!

The fragrance that immediately comes to mind for me is Parfumerie Generale L'Eau Guerriere
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    It will be a while until I can test most of them.

you are right you have to have a lot of self control be afraid very afraid lol

Ok, an update. I'll be writing this with as much objectivity and honesty as possible.

After seeing the most common element was vetiver, I took off to get to know it. I realize now it's not easy to understand it completely as I've already seen so many different faces of it.

My first stop was L'occitane. I tested their "vetyver" In retrospect I'm glad it was the first scent I smelled, this was the greenest, most herbal vetiver of all.

My second stop was guerlain's vetiver. I think I had high expectations of it. I thought it was good, but very focused to do its job, being a functional fragrance. If that makes sense. It wasn't as raw as L'occitane's vetyver either.

Then... I tried Encre Noire. I was literally blown away. It was like a simple sentence with deep implications. I don't know if it's just the vetiver, but the quality I attribute to it is definitely a whole new face of the ingredient. I bought it, just because it's already an excellent fragrance, and suits my usual tastes perfectly. But by itself, it was not what I set out to find. There is barely any sky, or wideness. It's distant but tight. Though I digress, any review I can make can wait until I wear it for a while.

According to my list, and the boy at the shop, I had exhausted my options available there. So I hung around a bit, smelling my wrist drenched in encre noire.
    While checking the shelves, I saw an intriguing bottle. It was named Kenzo Air. Huh, I said. Maybe I should check this as well. I sprayed some on my available inner elbow... And nothing? All I could smell was vetiver, probably due to a fatigued nose, and the scent I was already wearing. I waited a while, smelled my inner elbow again. No. I had it sprayed to a card before I left.

We sat at a coffee shop to rest. After drinking my coffee and being confident that my nose was probably ready for action again I smelled the card and wow. Vetiver. And a great smell overall. I decided to give it another shot from beginning to end another time.

Next day, which is today, I visited another shop just to try Kenzo Air again. To cut to chase, I loved it more than I though I would. A very open and totally great scent. The vetiver was much more similar to Encre Noire than the other ones, but with a much different feel to it. If it had some dirt to it, and some misty air, this could be perfect. Kenzo? I thought. I don't know how it's perceived in other places, but the Pour Homme was today's Gio back at times. That made me remember Kenzo pour Homme. I loved the scent when it was around despite the stigma attributed to it. And if I remembered correctly, it definitely had a "reverbed" misty high altitude (or ocean) air.

I went and sprayed some Kenzo Pour Homme on my Kenzoair'ed wrist. I thought, and I still think, it's a great combination, albeit makeshift and uncontrolled. Which I don't like. I humbly think some attributes of Kenzo Pour homme combined with most of Kenzo Air, with a part of moist soil and mushrooms sitting close to skin would be almost perfect.

After I came back home, and found out that Terre d'Hermes is also a vetiver including scent, and earthy enough to deserve a Terre in its name. I will check it out as well. I will also do my best to hunt down at least some samples of the rarer fragrances mentioned here in the mean time.

I already got myself a great fragrance out of this, and got to know a wonderful ingredient, so thanks a lot. I'll keep updating this.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 20th April 2014 at 08:42 PM.

Very Irrésistible for Men (2005)
    by Givenchy

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124468.html

Dirt ozone dry grass puts me in the mind of vetiver...but which one will suit is the question.

Tauer's Vetiver Dance has a very earthy opening and felt very raw to me.

Creed's Original Vetiver with which I am not personally familiar has many fans.

Gueralin's Vetiver maybe to subtle and refined for you. (NOT meaning you're not refined!)

Encre Noir I see you liked. It's unique.

Creeds Vetiver (1948) might be a bit too elegant; not earthy enough.

I do like Green Irish Tweed, but it seems less deep and friendlier than what you seek.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th April 2010 at 01:31 AM.

DIOR FAHRENHEIT is what you are looking for.

Nice notes about those three you tried and I generally agree with your assessment of them.

- I found the L'Occitanes in general a little harsh and sharp, like home-ade chemistry. I think its got some clove or nutmeg or something in there. Not well rounded, but they are affordable and surprisingly good. A little too rugged for me though.
    - The Guerlain Vetiver I also really like, it's much more complex and at times I find it a little dirty and ashy (tobacco notes).
    - The Encre Noire is probably the most unique IMO, but too cold for my tastes. To me it's a wood fire on a cold crisp night. PS, scentedmonkey had 50ml bottles for under $30... the 100ml is $37, plus add a discount... http://www.scentmonkey.com/product.php?code=M-3128

Lastly, if you want a touch of sweetness, and you don't really like money, have you tried Chanel Sycomore? also a smokey Vetiver, lasts pretty well, sweet and smokey.

As for Terre D'Hermes, yes it's got vetiver and it's "earthy", but I feel like it's fundamentally a warm frag. like I picture a warm sunbaked stone in the sand. To me it's a dry heat with a little spicy and some sparkling orange to begin. Your picture makes me think of cold and damp. Still a great frag though, so maybe you'll like it.

I'd still suggest trying out GIT if you can, just because it's generally so well recieved.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I guess what you're are looking for doesn't really come in one fragrance only. It seems you can get different aspects of it from different scents. Another one I can recommend is S-eX by S-Perfume if you looking for space or vastness. Though, it doesn't have the green grassy or dirt earthiness you're looking for.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 22nd April 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Master-Classter thanks for your reply. I like money, but it doesn't like me too much. Still I will try to test Sycomore as well.
    Some of the perfumes previosly mentioned, including GIT, are hopefully on their way to me in sample bottles. I don't have high hopes for it really, but maybe that's for the best.

I think fireplace on a cold night is a very apt description of encre noire. I love it. I already bought a 100ml of it, but that price is very good. Thanks for letting me know.

Guerlain vetiver, well.. I think it's a perfume for men that wear suits. I don't wear suits. And I don't get dirt at all. It's squeaky clean for my nose.

I haven't tested Terre D'Hermes yet, but I will soon. Thanks a lot.

@nsamadi:
    I'm still hopeful that I can get near. But I DO get different aspects of it from different scents. Time will tell

@adesor: I've been wearing fahrenheit for 13 years or so. I love it. And I think I get why you recommend it. It has a cold, distant breeze to it, even though it is not a fresh scent at all.

@stylinLA: thanks for the reply and recommendations, and lol. I absolutely understand what you mean by that refinement remark.

I think you'll find that Sycomore is very similar to Encre Noire, though Sycomore is a touch more refined (and a LOT more expensive)

KOUROS.