Code of Conduct

Default With Le Labo, Are You Risking Batch Variations by Having Fragrances Made Individually?

I was watching videos on Youtube about Le Labo and how they prepare their fragrances individually per customer (by mixing perfume essence, water and alcohol), and even though they seem to be very careful and weigh every ingredient, it just seems that it risks having variations between one fragrance and another. I doubt there would ever be any huge variations, but it just seems like it's more prone to differences with how they prepare each fragrance.
    Last edited by leor_77; 22nd April 2010 at 02:29 AM.

Default Re: With Le Labo, Are You Risking Batch Variations by Having Fragrances Made Individually?

Small variations indeed seem inevitable. I haven't ever re-bought a Le Labo, so can't comment on whether it would be pronounced enough to notice.
    I have read posts in here wherein people have asked Le Labo to "push" some of the ingredients when mixing it.

Default Re: With Le Labo, Are You Risking Batch Variations by Having Fragrances Made Individually?

I have 3 bottles of Rose 31, each one smells a bit different from one another. It isn't huge, but it is there. I had one 15ml spray bottle that contained a batch which had a real 'bite' to the drydown. Another one has a more prominent rose that you can smell for a long time.

Not really complaining, though. They're all cool in their own special ways.

Thanks so far for the responses - I'm sure that if there would be any variations, I doubt they would be that pronounced. I guess I sound cynical, but I would much rather prefer fragrances made in large batches, to eliminate human error. Again, I'm being really nitpicky here.
    Last edited by leor_77; 22nd April 2010 at 03:52 AM.

Do the Le Labo stores really mix from individual ingredients, or do they just mix, say, 10% Rose 31 concentrate with 85% ethanol and 5% water?

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    Do the Le Labo stores really mix from individual ingredients, or do they just mix, say, 10% Rose 31 concentrate with 85% ethanol and 5% water?
    10% Rose 31 concentrate with 85% ethanol and 5% water (don't know the percentages or if they add water)

Another variable must be the age of the concentrate.

You can watch a moment of the making of

Last edited by adonis; 22nd April 2010 at 07:49 AM.

It was so nice the other day watching my Le Labo girl mixing up a batch just for me And FWIW my bottles smell exactly the same as the tester bottles on the counter

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

There might be seasonal variations between the concentrates too... which is not necessarily a bad thing since near perfect uniformity and consistency could mean a larger proportionate use of lab-produced synthetics.

The only fluctuations I've ever noticed is that some of them seem to need a couple weeks to settle down to the finished product.

I've always thought this was a questionable gimmick aimed at giving the customer the impression of... customization. Perfumes need to macerate for at least a month after the concentrate, alcohol and water are blended: before that, they're unstable, and a number of small chemical reactions continue to take place. Which means that the fragrance should be resting untouched for at least a month before being worn. As Adonis says, the age of the concentrate at the time when it's blended introduces yet another variable, on top of the slight differences from one batch to another which can be found in any fragrance containing a decent amount of natural raw materiels.

I first tried Rose 31 from a 5ml decant. Eventually, I liked it and bought some in a split. I noticed a slight difference between the two.

I think there will always be batch on batch variations in any perfume or indeed 'anything' made batchwise (unless of course identical raw materials are used at exactly the same time in exactly the same process etc etc). Of course, we are talking degrees here. Even a synthetic aromachemical produced in a batch process, as they are, will have subtly different impurity profiles and varying amounts of trace 'impurities' can have a significant effect on the aroma.

Think it's best not to get hung up on this thing and just enjoy the fragrance and its variations.