Code of Conduct

Default "do not operate heavy machinery after spraying kouros"

This warning should be printed in bold on the front of every Kouros bottle.

I thought i'd give this stuff another go after reading some more positive reviews of it, thinking maybe i missed something, but damn, for someone who has never had any kind of reaction to any fragrance, minutes after spraying myself once on the front of the neck, i had to sit down, i felt sick, felt like i was going to faint! the headache, which i still have is the worst i've had this year!

Seriously im still suffering now, this all kicked off 20 minutes ago! If i wasn't expecting an important phone call i'd have jumped in the shower and scrubbed myself to death!

I don't get Kouros at all, i hope to never smell it again, this spray sample is going in the bin, soon as i feel comfortable standing up again!

Anybody else had this reaction? Please tell me im not alone!
    Got Musc Ravageur/Tobacco Vanille?

Fancy sample swapping? PM ME!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "do not operate heavy machinery after spraying kouros"

Hmm i sprayed 5+ sprays of kouros and i can barely smell it after a night of dancing. May be Kouros is not for you =] Get over it, and theres tons of other good frags out there.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

If you can spray 5 sprays of that stuff, then you are destined to be Mr. CologneGuy for the rest of your life. Your senses just aren't what they used to be.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not dude =] My skin eats fragrance and no one ever told me my cologne was strong, in fact i asked them if they smelled anything they said no !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: "do not operate heavy machinery after spraying kouros"

The first time I smelled Kouros up close was in a duty-free ahead of a 12 hour flight two years ago. Its reputation preceded it and I chose to spray on a strip, lest I be forced to free dive from 35,000 feet after three hours in its company. Sure enough, the piss vibe in the top notes was just too strong and I tossed the strip after five minutes; no drydown could be worth enduring that and I sure as hell wasn't going to keep that vile strip on my person for a journey halfway across the world.

After smelling it again last week, I have come around. Not all the way, mind, but the urinous topnote bothers me a lot less and seems, in fact, to have physically receded to an extent (although it may just be a "trimmed" TPC sample; seems there are a few going around these days ) and now I can see the composition in its entirety. A soapy fougere on the outside with animalic underpinnings, it is the fragrance equivalent of a well-groomed pervert.

And you know what? I like it. I can't wear it and I won't buy it but it is nice to know that there was once a time when designer fragrances could really push the boundaries of basic human decency. My advice would be to sample lots of other things in the coming weeks and months and give it another shot somewhere down the road.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 16th April 2010 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Hmm i sprayed 5+ sprays of kouros and i can barely smell it after a night of dancing. May be Kouros is not for you =] Get over it, and theres tons of other good frags out there.
    /Agree

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Le_Male View Post
    Anybody else had this reaction?
    No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Have you had this reaction with anything else? It's not normal to be so adverse to a fragrance, maybe something in the contents you are highly allergic to?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar reaction to Burberry for Men. I got hot and sweaty, felt like hives, and I got somewhat dizzy and nauseous, and the smell of the fragrance was amplified by like 10x. I felt sick, and just couldn't wait to get home and scrub the stuff off. Must have been some type of allergic reaction?

i like it, it isn't my favorite by far but it's ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    The first time I smelled Kouros up close was in a duty-free ahead of a 12 hour flight two years ago. Its reputation preceded it and I chose to spray on a strip, lest I be forced to free dive from 35,000 feet after three hours in its company. Sure enough, the piss vibe in the top notes was just too strong and I tossed the strip after five minutes; no drydown could be worth enduring that and I sure as hell wasn't going to keep that vile strip on my person for a journey halfway across the world.

After smelling it again last week, I have come around. Not all the way, mind, but the urinous topnote bothers me a lot less and seems, in fact, to have physically receded to an extent (although it may just be a "trimmed" TPC sample; seems there are a few going around these days ) and now I can see the composition in its entirety. A soapy fougere on the outside with animalic underpinnings, it is the fragrance equivalent of a well-groomed pervert.

And you know what? I like it. I can't wear it and I won't buy it but it is nice to know that there was once a time when designer fragrances could really push the boundaries of basic human decency. My advice would be to sample lots of other things in the coming weeks and months and give it another shot somewhere down the road.

See, this kind of acquired taste is something I actually want to avoid. I don't want to get to the point in my life where something that could possibly be construed as piss could smell good to me.

I like where my nose is now. I don't ever need to be a great connoisseur of all this scented. I'm ok with liking basic woody or fruity or citrusy scents. That's fine.

You have to remember that just because YOUR nose has adapted to the smell of pee to grow to like it, doesn't mean everyone else around you has too...
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: "do not operate heavy machinery after spraying kouros"

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    See, this kind of acquired taste is something I actually want to avoid. I don't want to get to the point in my life where something that could possibly be construed as piss could smell good to me.

I like where my nose is now. I don't ever need to be a great connoisseur of all this scented. I'm ok with liking basic woody or fruity or citrusy scents. That's fine.

You have to remember that just because YOUR nose has adapted to the smell of pee to grow to like it, doesn't mean everyone else around you has too...
    In my defense, I did not actually plan on liking Kouros after sampling it again; it just sort of happened. The purpose of my post was to show that I now appreciate something I did not quite understand before. My nose has come on leaps and bounds since that first encounter, and I attribute this newfound admiration to the body of scent experience I have gained in the interim.

At the time, "urine" was the only descriptor I had for that particular accord but now I understand raw honey and phenylacetic acid at concentration can evoke something similar and are perhaps more accurate representations of what I smelled. I have come to realize that similar scents can have very different origins and whether I associate a scent with one situation or another is immaterial; every molecule has a role to play in a perfumer's vision for a fragrance, and trying to understand that vision is a part of deciding whether I like or dislike something. Though I am unashamed to say I like Kouros, I say again that I do not want to wear it or own it.

Anyway, I draw the line at drinking urine.

Quote Originally Posted by geikamir View Post
    if you can spray 5 sprays of that stuff, then you are destined to be mr. Cologneguy for the rest of your life.
    Tsk tsk. . . really now. . .
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 16th April 2010 at 09:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Emly, I applaud your restraint from wearing it!

Also, I did not mean to single you, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Tsk tsk. . . really now. . .
    lol, sorry no offense.

smeller

My Kouros appreciation went into four phases:

1) tried it in a store, and found it really weird, but couldn't stop sniffing myself while driving.

2) bought it, gave it some rare wearings, and continued to see it as a weird thing, but not as pleasing as the first wearing.

3) got really angry with it, sold my used bottle, and didn't regret at all.

4) one year after. sniffed someone wearing it at a party, decided to purchased a new one at this precise moment, perceived it from a totally different angle, and now it's one of my top 4 favorites ever. Now I enjoy to wear it.

I suppose this is what you guys call a U turn.
    Last edited by smeller; 17th April 2010 at 01:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

smeller has seen the Light

Post Thanks / Like

More like 'went over to the dark side'... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Life is too short to wear something that feels uncomfortable. Enjoy other fragrances, no need to feel bad for Kouros, lots of people like it.
    Evenstar

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    smeller has seen the Light
    You are correct.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    More like 'went over to the dark side'... lol
    You are also correct.