Code of Conduct

Default under 30 barbershop scent suggestions

prada ambre or ysl rive gauche? i also like azzaro but maybe i'm too young to wear it. what are your opinions on these 3? any others i should be looking at?

Default Re: under 30 barbershop scent suggestions

Azzaro is a wonderful smell - just because it's been around for long doesn't mean it's a smell for old men. If you feel old enough to wear a edt, you're old enough to wear Azzaro.

I refuse to offer advice to any person claiming they're "too young" for Azzaro pour Homme.

Chat in a few years when you can comfortably carry a classy scent.

P.S: I wore Azzaro in my teens
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I think the age classification is a preference. If you think it's too old, then it is for you. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Azzaro is my favourite of those listed, followed by Rive Gauche PH. I am slightly nonplussed on the Prada.

Not to further confuse you with options, but if you like Azzaro but are looking for something a little more easy going, Aramis Tuscany is in a similar vein, and is very good. It can also be had relatively cheaply.
    Truefitt & Hill Grafton is also worth a look - I would describe it as a modern-ish barbershop. It is really very nice, and personally I find it very easy to wear.
    Also, for my nose, both Tuscany and Grafton are better suited to all weather, whereas I prefer Azzaro and RG in cooler seasons.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I was 16 when i first wore Azzaro, but you could say "that was in the 70s, old man". Then i would ask "is it other people you think will tell you that you smell old, or you just believe you would?" I didn't think it was old then.

Rive Gauche pour Homme is a popular choice for "modern", although i have not been able to fully grasp how that was arrived at, except if it means that RGpH is not as well made.

Other contemporary barbershop frags are:
    Mugler Cologne/Creed Original Vetiver
    Helmut Lang EDC

Limited choices because the best barbershops are older than Azzaro.....
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have yet to see a fragrance box which states the recommended age for usage, so go for it, and enjoy.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    I have yet to see a fragrance box which states the recommended age for usage, so go for it, and enjoy.
    Exactly.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I agree that age should not be a factor. However, if you are looking for a variant of Azzaro PH, then yes, Rive Gauche PH is a very good one. I also think Taylor of Old Bond St. Shaving Shop and the aforementioned Truefitt & Hill Grafton are possibilities. I also concur on Mugler Cologne.

But if you like Azzaro, wear Azzaro. It's a great fougere.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

From the aforementioned list, I wholeheartedly particularly Azzaro pour Homme and Rive Gauche pour Homme

paco rabanne ph and rive gauche are my favs

as i said i like azzaro. even replied that it was the best in that recent thread. so we all cool! just brought it up since i was reading luca turin's the guide and he adviced not to wear a scent that has seen more of the world than you. he was talking about masculine chypres and chanel pour monsieur. i like azzaro more than rive gauche but maybe rg can grow on me like azzaro did.

tboner, do you mean mr.taylor?

no votes for the prada ambre?

also is there a musky barbershop scent you know of? interested in the helmut lang especially if it is a dirty musk.

I have liked the Santa Maria Novella scents for that Barbershop style. George Trumper's Spanish Leather is another that gives me that feeling. However, both the Santa Maria and the Trumper are not "youthful" fragrances in the sense that I think you are implying. They are quality though... and if you feel good while wearing it, then it is for you!

Azzaro is a funny fragrance - it can seem "older" but it is still very good. In contrast to their "Chrome", which is terrible IMHO, I think it can be worn by anyone! Also give a try to the new Elixir by Azzaro. I feel it can be better than the original!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by pourhomme View Post
    tboner, do you mean mr.taylor?
    Mr. Taylor is a good barbershop scent, but it is not as "youthful" in the sense that I think you mean. It is a fougere with a jolt of incense in the base, loosely related to Dunhill Edition in style if you know that one. Shaving Shop is more vibrant, opening with citrus before settling into a moss-and-cedar accord that is very soapy and lasts several hours. It is more of a skin scent after the citrus topnotes, but it is very good and in the "clean" barbershop style.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Scents are ageless, which is not the case for individuals wearing them. Perceptions on scents are subjective, this means someone smelling an old man wearing X EdT could be the reason why a fragrance might be judged as dated; at the same time, if it were worn by a youngster, perceptions could be totally contrary to the first impression.

Having said that, try all the ones suggested (all of them worth every penny). For a bargain to be worn daily with a pair of jeans, you can also try Wild Country by Avon.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    ...For a bargain to be worn daily with a pair of jeans, you can also try Wild Country by Avon.
    Just got this 1967 beauty yesterday! They made real frags back then
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

George Trumper's Spanish Leather is another that gives me that feeling.
    i bought truefitt and hill's. that one is modern barbershop. one review compared it to prada amber. didn't want to pay for the samples of trumper and truefitt sent them for free.

Shaving Shop is more vibrant, opening with citrus before settling into a moss-and-cedar accord that is very soapy and lasts several hours.
    so shaving shop is the name of the fragrance. i see. i thought it was the brand name. thanks will look into that.

Scents are ageless, which is not the case for individuals wearing them. Perceptions on scents are subjective, this means someone smelling an old man wearing X EdT could be the reason why a fragrance might be judged as dated; at the same time, if it were worn by a youngster, perceptions could be totally contrary to the first impression.
    yes i agree with you there. i must ask my dad if he wore azzaro because i thought it smelled like him. however i believe he didn't. aramis is the oldest of men IMO. *hides from the grumpy old men*

penhaligons racquets formula has also intrigued me though i wasn't able to find the time to shop last time i was in london.

Azzaro is never an "old" Man smell. My 20 Year old Son wears it sometimes. Well. His Girlfriend likes it also