Code of Conduct

Default Back From the Andy Tauer Meet and Greet

Yes, I fortunate enough to meet the man himself -The Tauer of Power! He's a very cool and unassuming guy, willing to speak at length about perfumes and the business of perfumery.

Andy gave out generous 2.5ml spray samples of Orange Star, which is a fresh, flowery and breezy scent that dries down to something distinctly Tauer. There is at least one note shared with L'Air in the base. We also got to try a new scent that he's currently working on - it's really, really nice. Very light and beautiful. This is slated for a possible autumn release date.

The Scent Bar was hopping, lots of fellow BNers there. Met the lovely turquoisewater and we chatted about scents and how lucky she was for living up North . If you've ever been to the Scent Bar, you know how small the place is - it was standing room only for most of the afternoon.

Overall it was fun. I'm glad I went.
    Last edited by adonis; 19th April 2010 at 01:21 AM.

Default Re: Back From the Andy Tauer Meet and Greet

jealous...

Totally bummed that I missed Tauer. I was in LA earlier in the week, went to SB for a little shop therapy on Wednesday and was told about his upcoming visit. Sounds like it was fun Adonis.

So, what is your verdict on Orange Star. Is it bottle worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    So, what is your verdict on Orange Star. Is it bottle worthy?
    It depends. It's quite a departure from his other creations, so there's nothing in the Tauer line from which to compare it. It's still going strong after 5 hrs. Sillage is very good as well. Lots of Ambergris and Tonka in the base, but not like the creamy drydown of Creed Millesimes. No question it's a beautiful and complex scent.
    Last edited by adonis; 18th April 2010 at 03:12 AM.

8 hrs later and it's going just as strong. Good stuff.
    Last edited by adonis; 18th April 2010 at 06:19 AM.

Adonis, thanks for the write up. And I envy you too ! I like that "...He's a very cool and unassuming guy, willing to speak at length about perfumes and the business of perfumery".
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

nice
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Basenotes Institution

Sounds good. I personally admire L'Air du Desert Marocain but after I went thru a decant of it I decided I couldn't get a full bottle due to it's woody creaminess (something I tend to detest in fragrances), but I do like the base notes of the scent, so...maybe Orange Star will share some facet of it that I like. Looking forward to trying it.

Were the owners of Scent Bar in attendance also?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th April 2010 at 01:26 PM.

Sounds nice.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    8 hrs later and it's going just as strong. Good stuff.
    I as a rule find it sometimes unfair to compare one fragrance to another, but not having yet sampled this scent is there anything that you have ever worn that you might liken it to? Thanks!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    I as a rule find it sometimes unfair to compare one fragrance to another, but not having yet sampled this scent is there anything that you have ever worn that you might liken it to? Thanks!
    Terre D'Hermes without the dirt, spice, and flint ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sounds good. I personally admire L'Air du Desert Marocain but after I went thru a decant of it I decided I couldn't get a full bottle due to it's woody creaminess (something I tend to detest in fragrances), but I do like the base notes of the scent, so...maybe Orange Star will share some facet of it that I like. Looking forward to trying it.

Were the owners of Scent Bar in attendance also?
    Hey mike. I was there too. I met Adonis. Nice guy. Both Franco and Adam were there and It was really busy there. I was quite surprised. There was desert and drinks and a great atmosphere. Andy was really a great guy. Very shy but after a few minutes of speaking to him, he really opens up. Overall a really nice time.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Hey mike. I was there too. I met Adonis. Nice guy. Both Franco and Adam were there and It was really busy there. I was quite surprised. There was desert and drinks and a great atmosphere. Andy was really a great guy. Very shy but after a few minutes of speaking to him, he really opens up. Overall a really nice time.
    Hey man, it was nice meeting you as well. We were packed like sardines in there. What is your take on Orange Star?

OK, now how about Orange Star. What's your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    OK, now how about Orange Star. What's your thoughts?
    One thing for sure, the opening smells like an orange flower. It isn't an orange fruit smell. Unisex.
    Last edited by adonis; 19th April 2010 at 01:28 AM.

Its a really nice scent. It goes on very orange but right from the start you can tell it is a Tauer scent... no doubt about it. Its a tart orange smell. To me , it shares some similarities in the opening with Incense rose but without that heavy incense note. Than some sweetness comes in with the flowery middle. It weaves in an out with sweet orange and violets. After that is settles into a very similar Tauer base which I love. The bottle and packaging is very beautiful. It feels good in the hand and it is a beautiful shad of blue. Really nice but I didnt pull the trigger on it yet.
    Last edited by cairomerta; 19th April 2010 at 01:58 AM.

Sounds like I'll have to get a bottle of this - I'm really intrigued.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Its a really nice scent. It goes on very orange but right from the start you can tell it is a Tauer scent... no doubt about it. Its a tart orange smell. To me , it shares some similarities in the opening with Incense rose but without that heavy incense note. Than some sweetness comes in with the flowery middle. It weaves in an out with sweet orange and violets. After that is settles into a very similar Tauer base which I love. The bottle and packaging is very beautiful. It feels good in the hand and it is a beautiful shad of blue. Really nice but I didnt pull the trigger on it yet.
    Would you say it's a year round scent? Warm weather? Cold weather?

I would say this is a good year around scent in my opinion. The citrus keeps it nice for warm weather but there is just enough vanilla and I believe cinnamon to keep this good for cold weather too. A good balance in my opinion.

Basenotes Institution

It doesn't sound very floral prominent. Is it?

No I wouldn't say it is very floral prominent at all. You definitely get floral notes but nothing that goes way too over the edge. It is always pulled back a bit by the orange note along with the warm tauer base.

Thank you for sharing this report. What a marvelous time you must have had!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.