Code of Conduct

Default Am I wrong or is this Vintage Bottle a fake, box looks too modern

Take a look , box looks to new, I didn't think they made boxes like that back then, especially ones that snap together, I could be wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Default Re: Am I wrong or is this Vintage Bottle a fake, box looks too modern

This is the first time Ive seen that particular bottle boxed. (It turns up on ebay regularly, but unboxed).

I feel the box is authentic... if you take a look online at some vintage perfumes and their boxes, there are many from this age (and older) that are far more elaborate than most even on today's market.
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

I don't think it's a fake, per se, but the dating could be out. Nothing there particularly says 1920's to me and with no silver mark it seems like a bit of a shot in the dark. The box does look modern to me too - there's a lot of work in it, but it's plain. I'd expect it to have at least some sort of fancy paper label.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Sweet looking bottle! If I'm bidding it will be for the bottle, not the box. But how do you tell if it's truly from the 1920s or more of a modern day replica?
    ...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty. - Robin Sharma

As I said above, it turns up quite regularly. Its really up to you whether you'd prefer it with or without a box.
    The frequency with which it appears on ebay might also cast a doubt as to the 1920's vintage.

Here it is again without box:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SILVER-F...#ht_598wt_1167

And here with coral stopper as opposed to turquoise:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-SILVER-O...#ht_500wt_1182

... and here...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WOW-SILVER-TURQU...ht_2243wt_1167

etc...
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 18th April 2010 at 03:33 PM.
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

This bottle looks like something cheap and massproduced. It's not exactly meticulously crafted...

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    This bottle looks like something cheap and massproduced. It's not exactly meticulously crafted...
    I tend to agree.

The bottle overlay would definately be mass produced, but it's an old technique. They're stamped out from a die and are fine enough to fold around objects. You can find modern filigree stampings for sale in sites for jewellery makers, in many finishes, and some of them are made from the old victorian through 1930's dies.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Basenotes Institution

It's like the ever re-occuring bottle on ebay - quite amusing ! Do they pass it around, I wonder ...but then again in one of the pictures the stone on the stopper is red.

I think it looks cheap,mass produced and so, tend to agree with Dimitri and Tott.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 19th April 2010 at 05:34 AM.
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

The Thai silverwork is also stamped out in this way but the French one looks pretty old. Depends if you like it enough. If it gets too expensive, at least you know you can get another.... Check out whether they get a lot of bids and a good price on other completed listings. If they are highly desired by many, then that may be a clue as to the authenticity.

I think the box is "new" compared to the bottle and the bottle is older than the 20s...looks much older in fact.