Code of Conduct

Smile YSL M7 vs. Gurelain Vetiver

Hi,

Guys I wanna the opinion of the sharp noses to know which is better for me

I've never sniffed any of the two & I wanna order it online, so I can't decide which is better for me.

So, I'll give you a list of smells I like & a list of smells I dislike & I hope that will help your big noses to decide which is better.

I like: Yacht Man Metal, Dunhill Blue Desire, Silver Shadow Private, Aquac Di Gio (who doesn't ?), Only The Brave, Polo Explorer, Davidoff Adventure, L'Homme & mild-subtle Herbal, Oud & Middle Eastern smells.

Dislike: Sharp strong smells in general, Qourom (did I spell it right ?), too fruity smells, Cool Water (this thing smells weird, kinda good thu) & flowery smells.

Leave your full opinion & I'm thankful Mr. & Mrs. Smell-Good

I know this post makes me look bad as a 1st post, but you guys are the best reference out there.

I know some of you will say M7 because of the Oud, but I'm not obsessed with Oud.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: YSL M7 vs. Gurelain Vetiver

Try them both. They are very different scents and only you will be able to tell which one is best for you.

According to your taste IMO both of them will be too strong and sharp for you so I cant recommend to blind buy any of them. .

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-X View Post

I like: Aquac Di Gio (who doesn't ?)

I don't !.

Of the two GV is probably the less risky option as a blind buy but I still wouldn't recommend doing it. I'd sample first before any full bottle purchase.

Welcome, by the way !.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 18th April 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think you would like either of these at all. M7 can seem very medicinal, and you might think Vetiver smells dated. Personally, I love them both.

Thanx a lot guys....
    I'll probably give M7 a try afterall...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    I honestly don't think you would like either of these at all. M7 can seem very medicinal, and you might think Vetiver smells dated. Personally, I love them both.
    Judging from the "likes" that he posted, I agree Kxe.

Buy small samples; but I think you'll probably lean towards Guerlain, but what was your basis on narrowing down your selection from thousands of fragrances out there to these two?

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, definitely give M7 a sample first. It is very cough syrupy, especially in the opening. Some people do not enjoy that aspect of the scent, even if they love the smell of oud on its own. I agree with Jon Rodgers, GV is the safer one to blind buy of the 2, though I can imagine there are safer scents to blind buy over GV. I will echo JMang: any clues as to why you have decided to settle between these 2? Might help us understand and maybe even suggest some alternatives. Definitely do sample these 2 even if you decide not to buy them, they are worth a sniff for sure. But, if you really desire to do a blind buy, I'd say M7.

BTW, those 2 were my staples when I was new here too! I used GV a lot during the day and M7 in the evenings. Quality scents!

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Last edited by MFJ; 20th April 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Hi,
    Thanx for the answers guys,
    About why these 2, will because GV is Basenote's winner of Best Male Fragrance, while M7 "looks" classic & elegant, not to mention the amount of attention it gets on the net. So I decided I will try one of them, but I forgot that I could get small samples of the two & choose myself .

Thanx