Code of Conduct

Default Aramis Tuscany / Devin

I have a bottle of Tuscany, which I so much love, it is what i've been searching for in years. It is the men's fragrance which does not comply to nowadays boys' scents paradigm.
    But i have read some very interesting reviews on the Devin.
    Could you please speak to me of Devin compared to Tuscany?
    What is it like?
    Thank you!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Aramis Tuscany / Devin

I love both scents.

Tuscany is much more of a traditional fougere - the way that the citrus combines with the woods and aromatics to generate a real outdoors kind of feeling is pretty special.

Devin is a much greener fragrance. The galbanum in the top notes give it a torn-branch-cut-grass kind of bite, that combines with a bit of castoreum in the base to give it a hint of leather.

Please sample Devin. It is one of my favorite scents, and any fan of Aramis scents deserves the opportunity to enjoy it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th March 2010 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love both scents.

Tuscany is much more of a traditional fougere - the way that the citrus combines with the woods and aromatics to generate a real outdoors kind of feeling is pretty special.

Devin is a much greener fragrance. The galbanum in the top notes give it a torn-branch-cut-grass kind of bite, that combines with a bit of castoreum in the base to give it a hint of leather.

Please sample Devin. It is one of my favorite scents, and any fan of Aramis scents deserves the opportunity to enjoy it.
    I totally agree with Mike. You won't get a better response than this to your question. Go, Mike! (Devin is my favorite from Aramis, BTW)

Yep, Tuscany is a strong lavender frag. I think Cuba Black was an attempt to make a very similar frag. Devin reminded me of Z-14, but I like Z-14 better, so I never went back to Devin. I have a vintage decant of it, as well as a vintage Tuscany mini (1/4 ounce) and matching vintage Tuscany Forte mini (neither were ever used) on my swap list, for those who might be interested in sampling.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 17th March 2010 at 03:11 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Thank you Tonyprince - nice to see I'm not alone in my fascination with this scent.

Yep, the responses so far nail it.

If you've smelt JHL before, I find Devin to be very similar but without JHL's "old lady" accord and it's a much smoother fragrance. Not that JHL is bad, it's just quite particular, whereas Devin is quietly conservative. If that's not a contradiction.

My first encounter with Devin was recently, after the re-release. I am really facinated by it. I don't find it all that green, simply perfectly balanced, extremely soft and round. One thing that bothered me though with the new releases is that Devin, Havana and New West seem to have the exact same openings for the first 5 minutes and Tuscany to a lesser extent. Only 900 has escaped this reformulation phaenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Yep, the responses so far nail it.

If you've smelt JHL before, I find Devin to be very similar but without JHL's "old lady" accord and it's a much smoother fragrance. Not that JHL is bad, it's just quite particular, whereas Devin is quietly conservative. If that's not a contradiction.
    I find JHL to be quite similar to 900. JHL emphasizes the spices and 900 the rose.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The initial description nails Devin spot-on. I have used and loved Devin since the late 70s. A true classic.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    One thing that bothered me though with the new releases is that Devin, Havana and New West seem to have the exact same openings for the first 5 minutes and Tuscany to a lesser extent. Only 900 has escaped this reformulation phaenomenon.
    Really? For me these three are the most different from each other of all Aramis frags, in that none of them (to my nose at least) share any similarities at any point in their respective developments. Further, as a hardcore Aramis fan, the new reformulations (if they are reformulations - I don't believe this has been confirmed yet, though I think Devin must be cos the colour is different), again to my nose, smell IDENTICAL to their original versions.

Tuscany is my first full bottle purchase eons ago and remains a staple in my fragrance rotation. Never had the chance to try Devin but now I am quite curious.

I love to wear tuscany with a suit or jacket, i think of devin for a more sport/casual wear. would it do?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blaghi View Post
    I love to wear tuscany with a suit or jacket, i think of devin for a more sport/casual wear. would it do?
    Devin is called a Country Cologne, whatever that means. Its green-ness gives it an outdoors vibe, i suppose, but its my SotD as i write, and i am at work in an office

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    but its my SotD as i write, and i am at work in an office
    what does SotD stand for? And you haven't answered my question [i do not know how devin smells like, i have only read the reviews]: is it ok to be worn with a casual/sports outfit?
    Last edited by blaghi; 19th April 2010 at 12:08 PM.

what does SotD stand for? And you haven't answered my question [i do not know how devin smells like, i have only read the reviews]: is it ok to be worn with a casual/sports outfit?
    SotD = Scent of the Day, or the fragrance that you have chosen to wear from your wardrobe on any given day. My SotD is Joop! Homme. What will you be wearing today, bhagli?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

SillageMonger has answered the SotD question.

I had thought that perhaps from all the answers you have received, you would have an idea of what Devin was like. Unfortunately, you have not given any idea of what scents you have and what you have smelled/tested before. Those help a lot in answering your kind of question, especially if the reviews you read have not helped.

Devin, a castoreum rich chypre, could be said to smell like a sweeter Yatagan, except that Devin has no sweetness itself. Or it can be said to smell like a greener, less sweet Antaeus, though Antaeus is not sweet in the first place. Actually, Devin is one frag that smells like no other scent. It is that unique, IMO.

Your best bet will be to sample it for yourself.

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Your best bet will be to sample it for yourself.
    thank you for your answer. I shall soon see it for myself, indeed. Because I have already bought it and waiting for it to arrive.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

....I shall soon see it for myself, indeed. Because I have already bought it and waiting for it to arrive.
    Wow! I am sure you will like it. All the best, then.

#BBOG!

I also absolutely agree with the high marks for Devin. It's fresh and slightly leather/animalic. I prefer it over Tuscany but needless to say, all Aramis scents are great.