Code of Conduct

Default Okay, so evergreen and sandalwood...

You guys have been great with recommendations. Let's go to the well one more time...

My lone sandalwood scent right now is Art of Shaving Sandalwood. Some decry it for being synthetic. I find it very natural, though clearly the sandalwood oil is here not used alone but rather is juiced up with a combination of cedar, eucalyptus, and possibly ylang-ylang, along with some other supporting notes. I like it a lot, and I particularly enjoy the whiff of medicinal eucalyptus with which it opens, but I wish it lasted a bit longer and blended better into the rest of the scent.

I have recently been sampling CdG/Artek Standard, and could see myself owning a bottle. But. Much as I enjoy the pine and cedar accord - yes it is linear, but it's also big and sawdusty and mighty rich - I can't help but wish that there were a touch of sandalwood to lend some bit of sweetness and roundness to it.

So. I'm looking at Tam Dao. Cypress-rosewood-sandalwood-cedar, right? Linear, right? Okay, I don't mind linear, and I would really love to find something that puts a whiff of eucalyptus or pine or some sort of conifer atop a really rich sandalwood note, even if eventually the thing gets down to straight cedar. I don't want an Iso E Super bomb, though. I don't mind the stuff, but I prefer things that smell more like fresh-cut cedar. So I guess I mean that if the Iso E Super is used well, I can handle it. I'd love a kind of hay accord, too, whether achieved with coumarin or some well-placed nutmeg like in Eau de L'Occitan, or with hay absolute. The hay is not necessary, but would really make me happy.

FWIW, something that comes close to what I'm thinking of is Roger & Gallet Open, but its smoke and moss ultimately are a bit more than what I want. The spice, the soapy sandalwood, the hay and pine are all there.

Okay, so Tam Dao? Other recommendations? Possibly some Comme des Garcons scents fit the bill, no?

Price range might be flexible, but I'd rather not go ape on spending right now.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Default Re: Okay, so evergreen and sandalwood...

I think the idea of brisk pine and creamy/woody sandalwood is a good one. I'll have to give that more thought.
    As you say, sandalwood and cedar often are put together. So some suggestions are CdG Kyoto (cypress + cedar) and its drier sibling, Hinoki.
    If you sort of like R&G Open, have you tried L'Homme? I like it slightly more than Open.
    Cheers, ody
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Tam Dao was my immediate thought on seeing the thread title, but I'll second Hinoki if you like that style. Hinoki is Tam Dao with a green edge, to my nose.

Tam Dao goes to cedar pretty quickly. If you're expecting sandalwood, it's there but fleeting.

OK, my friend, here is a surprise recommendation. L'Artisan's Premier Figuier Extrême . Yes, it has fig but it has some nice coniferous notes and also sandalwood. It is a good, green scent.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

An aussie scent thats very green while still being sandalwood prominent is Mount Romance's Larrikin. Quite similar to Egoiste but with pine and leather thrown in as well. Not sure how you would find it in the US though...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    L'Artisan's Premier Figuier Extrême .
    Now there's a FANTASTIC recommendation! Take it from a fellow AOS Sandalwood owner. I get a subtle pine note combined with creamy sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Now there's a FANTASTIC recommendation! Take it from a fellow AOS Sandalwood owner. I get a subtle pine note combined with creamy sandalwood.
    Okay, well, I have not tried many fig scents - just one, in fact - so that throws me for a bit of a loop. However, I have meant to re-sample Fou d'Absinthe anyway, so may as well order a few other L'Artisan samples...two enthusiastic recommendations from guys whose tastes match mine: hard to pass that up.

Of course if I'm ordering samples, may as well go all-out, so any other recommendations are welcome, but I think this is an interesting start.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Glad you are intrigued!
    If you are getting L'Artisan samples, my strongest recommendation is to get samples of both Premier Figuier regular and extreme. Only then will you understand the difference between the two, and which (if either) suits you.
    Definitely every Conehead should try Fou D'Absinthe.
    For cedar, try Mechant Loup.
    Timbuktu and Jatamansi are worth a try for exotic, non-heavy incense scents.
    Dzongkha has a lot of fans and it is worth a try, I was neutral on it.
    What the heck -- try Dzing! It really is an amazing scent. I don't like leather at all, and yet there is something oddly compelling about Dzing! It really is an amazing concoction.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 19th April 2010 at 03:42 AM.
    odysseusm

If you're gonna sample anyway what about trying Fresh Index Sandalwood Petitgrain.

37 Degrees KL Man by Karen Low

I'm not a huge sandalwood fan, though it's often in frags as what I would consider a "background note" (and that's fine with me). However, the one I do enjoy that features a strong and powdery sandalwood note is Trussardi's Python (the "women's" one). I also liked Brit Gold (again, a "women's" frag) but I haven't worn it in a long time and I've only worn it twice in total, so I should try it again soon. It is definitely very spicy.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 19th April 2010 at 03:30 AM.

Here is another scent I whole-heartedly endorse.
    Ankh by Scents of Time
    The notes include juniper and cypress, with frankincense, cedar and sandalwood.
    I enjoy this scent -- it is a dry and well-done oriental.
    odysseusm

Okay, well, I anticipate going broke after I try all of these and decide I must have a bottle of each. They all sound terrific, at least based on listed notes and BN reviews/comments. I hope to report back with positive news in a month or so, after I've had time and money to sample everything.

And I was going to leave niche scents alone when I got into all of this...

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 19th April 2010 at 01:56 PM.

My Wardrobe:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man