Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do new perfumes come from? A lecture at the Royal Institution in London

Hi all,

Doesn't look like anyone else has posted about this so thought I should! I'll be going along to a lecture entitled "The Science of Scent: Adventures in a creative mind" at the Royal Institution in London on Wednesday this week (April 21st). The lecture is given by Will Andrews of the P&G Fragrance Creation team based in the UK. Here's the blurb:

"Where do the sparkling, creative ideas for new perfumes come from? How are they translated into scent without compromising the creative purity of the idea? This lecture – the third in the series – covers one of the most abstract perfumery subjects: the creative origin of new perfumes. Find out what is going on inside the perfumer’s mind, how it is nurtured to deliver those scented moments of true brilliance, and how the ideas are developed into tomorrow’s perfume classics."

http://www.rigb.org/contentControl?a...ayEvent&id=990

I imagine there are still tickets left, it's £8. Hope to see some other Basenoters there! Might be interesting for those following the Basenotes Fragrance project - I wasn't sure whether to post this there, or here, or in the DIY forum.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Where do new perfumes come from? A lecture at the Royal Institution in London

nzmark; Thanks for the posting. It should be an interesting lecture. (see below)

"Where do the sparkling, creative ideas for new perfumes come from? How are they translated into scent without compromising the creative purity of the idea? This lecture – the third in the series – covers one of the most abstract perfumery subjects: the creative origin of new perfumes "

Unfortunately P&G has purchased other quality houses such as Patou and the effect has not been an improvement IMO. "...without compromising the creative purity of the idea?" Just does not seem to represent their actions such as the discontinuing of "1000" and have there been any new fragrances from Patou that have been striking and inovative? This reply is not a intended to belittle your thread, merely to express my amazement that their words do not seem to match the profit above all mentality of big business.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 18th April 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Where do new perfumes come from? A lecture at the Royal Institution in London

It seems Will Andrews' talk at the Royal Institute was postponed because of Mt. Doom's awakening.

He did, however, appear as the main guest on last week's edition of The Guardian's Science Weekly podcast, which I finally listened to yesterday and which I highly recommend subscribing to (free, via iTunes) for thoughtful "popular science" discussion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/bl...-podcast-smell

There was not too much in it that BN'ers would not already know but his delineation of the development process for fragrances may be of interest. It was good to hear him, in passing, acknowledge the uncertainty of the mechanism behind smell and give at least equal weight to vibration and shape as possible solutions.

Also, I think I might be in love with Nell Boase. She has a wonderful...er, voice.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 26th April 2010 at 03:32 PM.