Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting Niche frags

So I have difficulties sampling niche frags as there is only one spot near me that has a collection of designer/niche and i find the niche is very selective. So for me I need guidance in what I should be looking at when it comes to niche fragrances.
    I don't need guidance on Creed's as I can sample those and own two (and one decant) already.

What do people feel as the essential niche's that I should start out on (I'm 28, look like I'm 21 though). Scents would be more directed to dates, evenings and weekends as I don't wear fragrance at work (work at a hospital, scent free). Also don't like really mature scents, as I find they don't suit my personality (I like to many people laugh loads).

I see loads of people talking malle, tom ford, bond. No clue as to where to go... would very much love some help here.

Thanks you very much in advance.
    Chris

Default Re: Starting Niche frags

The Perfumed Court offers a variety of men's sampler packs, and, providing you have the funds available, they are a great place to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. I am looking for people's fragrance list, rather than where to get them. What people see as great essential niche fragrances that I should have in my collection.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's all a matter of personal taste. There are no ones everyone should own, just ones that could be just right for you.

Of the ones I've tried from your wardrobe, I notice citrus, gourmand, and some mellow orientals. Based on what you already own, and the lines you said you'd like to explore, I'd recommend sampling.

Bond No. 9 New Harlem
    Bond No. 9 Always Hot

( I've sampled a minority of the rather large Bond line, however - mostly they've been too sweet for my tastes. )

Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Private Blend Moss Breches ( if you can still find it )
    Tom Ford Private Blend Noir de Noir
    Tom Ford Private Blend Amber Absolute
    Tom Ford Black Orchid

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentree
    Frederic Malle Geranium pour Monsieur

Post Thanks / Like

Does the TF private blend lineup offer better longevity than Grey Vetiver?

Post Thanks / Like

I had those exact three malle's for potential's along with carnal. The Tom Ford's I'm not as sure with, same with the Bond's due to reviews and issues people seem to have with duration. I was thinking TV, Amber Absolute and Noir de Noir look good enough for me to order some samples. Again just need some guidance.

Any others ideas for samples are more than welcome, as I'm going to do one big order lol...

Post Thanks / Like

Le Labo Rose 31 - Pleasant, smells expensive and can be worn year round.

If you can't distinguish an amber niche frag from a patchouli one, that would be the place to start. Molinard makes some good, cheap ones, supposedly. If you have "graduated" from that level of understanding, then you should have enough of an idea about what you're seeking so that you could narrow it down a bit more than you did in your original post here. Otherwise, the only reasonable thing we could really tell you is to do a lot of sampling. My favorite "niche" frag right now is Messe de Minuit, but I have no idea if you would like it, or even if you would regard it as "old" or "too mature."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Like I said before I have sampled loads of designer fragrances as they are easy for me to get my hands on. I also do my own aromatherapy with clients at the hospital, while I don't come close to being an expert...I am able to tell the different between components of a scent

I wanted to keep it open because of my lack of knowledge of 'niche' fragrances because it's difficult for me to get my hands on them. That, and I'm cheap when it comes to samples and often looking at spending $50 on a bunch of samples my brain can't help think that I could be 1/3-1/4 way towards buying a nice bottle at that rate.

Just from reviews before sampling I think I've narrowed it down to Geranium PM, Bigarade Concentree, Carnal Flower for my next one and then work on things like musc ravageur, tom ford tv, chergui etc towards the fall.
    Things might obviously change after I do this sample order though, maybe others come up as well....

Keep suggesting please. Thank you. Been a great help so far.

I think there are old threads about "cheapo" frags with niche characteristics. Some examples are Avon's Mesmerize for men, KISS Him, and Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin (a "women's" frag that is really more unisex, similar to Daim Blond).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Le Labo Rose 31 - Pleasant, smells expensive and can be worn year round.
    indeed!
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man