Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is the best "all around" fragrance you've ever owned/experienced?

In terms of longevity, sillage, and of course, the scent itself ... what would you consider the best in terms of "all around" ? I mean, frags like Tobacco Vanille and Musc Ravageur smell great but are almost impossible to underspray. A "walk through" is even too much sometimes. D'Orange Verte Concentree and Burberry London smell great also, but are impossible to overspray. I literally dumped half a bottle of London ( I was so pissed off ) on myself once and still got no longevity. Others have great sillage but no longevity ... some have good longevity but no sillage at all and stay very close to the skin. So what would you consider the best "all around" frag? I'm actually not sure yet because I haven't worn it in the heat yet, but my new bottle of Malle's Geranium PM might just fit this bill for me. Longevity is definitely there but I'm waiting for the summer to check out it's sillage in the warmth. Fingers crossed ...

Default Re: What is the best "all around" fragrance you've ever owned/experienced?

In my collection, it's Chrome Azzaro.

This is popular stuff, but I don't care about that with this fragrance.
    It's really good.

The "weird" thing about this fragrance is that it somehow seems to stick to clothing without directly spraying it on clothing.
    When I use it and my clothes are hanging on a chair, ready to get washed, I can smell it while I'm walking by. This happens all the time when I use it, sometimes I even stop to smell the great Basenotes of this fragrance. This doesn't happen with other fragrances.

Default Re: What is the best "all around" fragrance you've ever owned/experienced?

Black Aoud, Royal Aoud

I get this impression from Paul Smith Extreme. I think it can work in cold or hot weather, smells great, decent longetivity. I also think that it is kinda classy as well. I was looking at cologne choices for celebrities and saw that Jude Law wears it.

hugo boss, elements.. nuff said

Gengis Khan

Royal english leather has to be up there, burberry london is nice as well.

Terre D'Hermes
    Paco Rabanne XS Pour Homme
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

The fragrance in my wardrobe with the most versatility also happens to be my all time favorite/desert island fragrance - Tabac Original EDC by Mäurer & Wirtz. Tabac Original EDC can be worn effectively in any season and in any setting - casual to very formal. Sometimes I feel like a broken record, but Tabac Original has been my mainstay for nearly 40 years, and is most definitely my best "all around" fragrance.

For me it's probably Guerlain's Vetiver. Might also be Halston 1-12. I was also forcefully struck by the perfection as an all around scent by Alain Delon's AD Classic.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

DKNY Be Delicious for me, and its the only fragrance to get me compliments
    Gucci PH, DKNY Men, DKNY Be Delicious, Perry Ellis 360 Red, Burberry London, Burberry Brit, Nautica Voyage, Nautica Classic, Nautica Blue, Adidas Victory League

Quote Originally Posted by LanEvo View Post
    DKNY Be Delicious for me, and its the only fragrance to get me compliments
    For me it's Kouros Body! I have Be Delicious as well. Gave me a huge headache and I get alot of "smells like rotten fruit" comments. God bless your skin!

Quote Originally Posted by mike1990 View Post
    For me it's Kouros Body! I have Be Delicious as well. Gave me a huge headache and I get alot of "smells like rotten fruit" comments. God bless your skin!
    Wow, that's a bit weird from me then, I guess different skin types make up for this, but its great on me, makes the perfect summer fragrance.
    Gucci PH, DKNY Men, DKNY Be Delicious, Perry Ellis 360 Red, Burberry London, Burberry Brit, Nautica Voyage, Nautica Classic, Nautica Blue, Adidas Victory League

Quote Originally Posted by mike1990 View Post
    And how is Kouros Body, never tried it before? Or any of the Kouros lineup.

Git.

Two that immediately spring to mind are Chanel Egoiste Platinum and Guerlan Vetiver, they work in pretty much any situation.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Prada Infusion d'Iris. I cannot think of an occasion or season where it's ever wrong to wear it...

Mitsouko as a close second...
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore Santal EDP for a decade or so before the Mysore ran out. It worked great anywhere, anytime.

GIT & Acqua di Parma Colonia for a decade after that.

These days: Sous le Vent (Guerlain), Granville (Dior), Santal Noble (MPG) work anytime, anyplace.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 18th March 2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: P.S.

In a certain way, most of the frags I own, are close to my favorites all over the year and an almost any occasion so, oddly, I try to be flexible about my frags and "make" them become versatile, meaning that I am more lenient, with all frags I own, regarding the casual/formal, day/evening, summer/winter limitations. So, many of the frags I own actually are versatile, as long as I want them to be.

For best "all round" fragrance, I presume one has to look at versatility and possibility of using in any situation. The best such scents that I have encountered are the already mentioned Guerlain Vetiver and the surprisingly unmentioned Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

Sur la Plage

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Kenzo Pour Homme and Dior Fahrenheit.
    Rarely are they not appropriate, in my opinion not too shallow, and they are both built to last.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Best all around?! Dune pour Homme de Christian Dior!

Carthusia Uomo. It's an EDP, so the sillage and longevity are excellent. And the scent smells great.

Gengis Khan
    . really? again?

My vote (based on my limited exposure) would be Creed Millesime Imperial, Vetiver de Puig, or Rive Gauche.

Millesime Imperial.

definitely a most versatile fragrance.

Guerlain Vetiver!

Jil Sander Man (2007)
    Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Guerlain Pour Monsieur. It is discreet and elegant, and always appropriate. I don't like sillage.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the Vetiver by Guerlain recommendations above. Never inappropriate, always works.

Runner up: Terre de Hermes by Hermes.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. It is not in my top ten, but it never lets me down when it comes to to ticking all the boxes. It is the decathlete in my collection.

1.)Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    2.)Azzaro Silver Black/Onyx
    3.)Lancome Hypnose
    4.)Cerruti Pour homme
    5.)Hugo Boss Dark Blue

whole year in that order, I'm talking about scent that you put on during winter or during summer evening with no problem. List is different if we talk about summer itself, or winter itself If we talk about personal best, hard to tell, cause I'm versatile person and I like everything from my collection, so I can't pick the best of the best.
    Last edited by Zgb; 19th April 2010 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LanEvo View Post
    And how is Kouros Body, never tried it before? Or any of the Kouros lineup.
    I love Kouros Body. Sweet with incense. The women seem to love this one (even guys who smelled it on me). Smells NOTHING like Kouros though. I think it can be used all year round for almost any occasion. I highly recommend sampling it!

Blog Entries

Zino Davidoff
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Acqua Di Parma Intensa
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Zino Davidoff
    Great scent, incredible. Such a shame it is discontinued!

I totally agree with the already mentioned Guerlain Vetiver and Rive Gauche pour Homme.

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    The Different Company - Rose Poivree, Divine Bergamote, Bois d'Iris & Un Parfums des Sens et Bois
    YSL Kouros Cologne Sport
    Frederick Malle Cologne Bigarade & Noir Epices

Guerlain Vetiver/Green Irish Tweed/Tsar
    Let your nose be your pilot

Kouros
    Rive Gauche PH

Mine are the original Aramis and Caron's fantastic Yatagan. Any occasion, any season. They just simply work for me.

Guerlain Vetiver. Possibly the greatest scent of all time. (IMO)
    Last edited by richard d; 20th April 2010 at 12:38 AM.

Azzaro Pour Homme

GIT,Chez
    I would pick the chez over the git, because it lacks that "aqua" note.
    Both are great for any occasion.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

green irish tweed

Dior Homme. Fresh/green/Calone scents go awful on my skin but Dior Homme ALWAYS works for me no matter the season/occasion. I think part of that is the attitude I carry with it but it's still my go-to when nothing else seems to "fit".

Creed Original Vetiver
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

YSL Jazz

Green Irish Tweed
    Millesime Imperial
    Terre d'Hermes
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Villoresi Uomo
    Chanel Pour Monsieur

For the environment and situations I generally find myself in, either Hermes Bel Ami or Azzaro pour Homme. Like another layer of skin.

^ Jealousy: Your Kouros looks much bigger than my Kouros.

Fahrenheit because:

It projects but is not overly to strong.
    It lasts a good twelve hours.
    It smells really good and is not like anything else.
    It's unequal in having that oil accord that makes it interesting.
    It's versatile and can be worn day/evening.
    It makes a excellent signature scent.

All Hail Fahreinheit!

Hoorah.lol

These are my "all around fragrances"

Azzaro pour Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chez Bond
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    Infusion d'Homme

I think I have a number of "all rounders" in my wardrobe, but the first thing that comes to mind is GIT. Honourable mention to Chanel P.E.

Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme

Jil Sander for Man (1998)

Azzaro Pour Homme

For me all are perfect for all year around!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

YSL L'Homme
    Kenzo Air

Bvlgari Extreme PH
    Last edited by Titan; 13th November 2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo

I don't have to worry about anything when I wear Egoiste.

Bois du Portugal by Creed does the trick for me. Summer/fall/winter/spring it is always good, has nice projection, lasts a good long time!

Sound Scents

Terre d'Hermes
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Aventus.

however, i am constantly struck by how perfect a fragrance Acqua Di Parma Colonia is...