Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For versatility, another vote for Guerlain Vetiver.
    Disclaimer: idk lol

Default Re: What is the best "all around" fragrance you've ever owned/experienced?

Lacoste Junior. I love it. Smells like fruit jelly. Such a simple, unpretentious scent (It was designed for young teens after all).

I feel carefree when wearing it. A perfect summer scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the best "all around" fragrance you've ever owned/experienced?

midnight in paris,
    anddd
    annayake undo

Post Thanks / Like

All the barbershop ones are versatile. I love Z-14 to Invasion Barbare.

Post Thanks / Like

Riverside Drive

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

probably GIT. Its too bad I get sneezy when using iet.

Eau Sauvage. It is good in winter or summer, and has excellent longevity. As long as the vetiver doesn't turn dark on you, all's well.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought eau savage was poor logevity? have never owned but, in part because of the reported longevity issues

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore works all the time & everywhere for me...

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermes
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Acqua Di Gio of course! Perfect for any occasion. But may even more so, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. It's an all season workhorse.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Honestly, Bvlgari Man. Suitable in every situation. Not only suitable, it's thoroughly enjoyable.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I thought eau savage was poor logevity?
    you think well.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Post Thanks / Like

Costume National - 21

Post Thanks / Like

Villoresi's Uomo

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Honestly, Bvlgari Man. Suitable in every situation. Not only suitable, it's thoroughly enjoyable.
    I tested this at a duty free earlier this year and thought it was bland and boring. However, I received a sample of the shower gel recently with a purchase of something else and I rather liked it. Something reminded me of Hermes Voyage, maybe the woody element. Anyway I am going to test this one again.

I would say Amouage Reflection and Gucci Pour Homme 2. The gucci gets a lot of complaints for poor longevity and/or sillage, but both seem just fine on me, especially longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine would = Harrods Salalah Green, Hunter by MCMC, Mona di Orio Oud, Mazzolari Lui, Justice Bodan Perfume Oil for starters

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I tested this at a duty free earlier this year and thought it was bland and boring. However, I received a sample of the shower gel recently with a purchase of something else and I rather liked it. Something reminded me of Hermes Voyage, maybe the woody element. Anyway I am going to test this one again.
    When I first tested this I wrote it off too. I sampled it again on a card and still thought little of it. Ended up getting a free sample of this rather randomly (had no intention to) and finally gave it a wearing and I thought "hey, this is pretty nice." The next wearing had me thinking "Wow, this is really nice" and subsequent wearings have not diluted that feeling at all.

Not only is it really nice, there really is a lot going on in the scent, although the transitions are smooth and the whole thing is a bit reserved and can thus make it easy to miss the changes and easy to write the scent off as boring, banal, trite, or whatever the current popular snobby put down happens to be.

There are many facets of it that really impress me. First, the vetiver here is actually quite pronounced but so clean and pure (supposedly they are using a special extraction method to get only the purest/cleanest part of the heart of the vetiver note from the oil). The pear in the opening is used masterfully - it's easy to never notice that there's a big pear note due to the wonderful blending, but perhaps most impressive is the use of honey here. It is woven throughout the fragrance from top to bottom, but never ever gets intrusive, urinous, or even really gourmand-like. It's sweet and smooth but never heavy or cloying. And when the cinnamon facet of the cypriol & benzoin join the honey in the middle to late dry down - heaven!

I haven't even mentioned the wonderfully smooth floral facets that are underpinned so successfully by the "white wood accord" (the vetiver and a clean clean sandalwood along with some cashmeran perhaps and definitely some violet like ionones). The enchanting violet leaf note. The hints of incense in the base.

This is one of the best designer scents to come along in a long time, and it's just so damn wearable. A definite winner, and one that will surely continue to get panned on BN by those who write off a scent without even giving it a single full and proper wearing, or those who write off anything with less than Montale like projection or the (syrup)-vat-like depth of so many of Lutens' confectionaries.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 15th November 2011 at 05:25 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Acqua Di Parma Intensa
    This. Just a perfect all rounder...

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first tested this I wrote it off too. I sampled it again on a card and still thought little of it. Ended up getting a free sample of this rather randomly (had no intention to) and finally gave it a wearing and I thought "hey, this is pretty nice." The next wearing had me thinking "Wow, this is really nice" and subsequent wearings have not diluted that feeling at all.

Not only is it really nice, there really is a lot going on in the scent, although the transitions are smooth and the whole thing is a bit reserved and can thus make it easy to miss the changes and easy to write the scent off as boring, banal, trite, or whatever the current popular snobby put down happens to be.

There are many facets of it that really impress me. First, the vetiver here is actually quite pronounced but so clean and pure (supposedly they are using a special extraction method to get only the purest/cleanest part of the heart of the vetiver note from the oil). The pear in the opening is used masterfully - it's easy to never notice that there's a big pear note due to the wonderful blending, but perhaps most impressive is the use of honey here. It is woven throughout the fragrance from top to bottom, but never ever gets intrusive, urinous, or even really gourmand-like. It's sweet and smooth but never heavy or cloying. And when the cinnamon facet of the cypriol & benzoin join the honey in the middle to late dry down - heaven!

I haven't even mentioned the wonderfully smooth floral facets that are underpinned so successfully by the "white wood accord" (the vetiver and a clean clean sandalwood along with some cashmeran perhaps and definitely some violet like ionones). The enchanting violet leaf note. The hints of incense in the base.

This is one of the best designer scents to come along in a long time, and it's just so damn wearable. A definite winner, and one that will surely continue to get panned on BN by those who write off a scent without even giving it a single full and proper wearing, or those who write off anything with less than Montale like projection or the (syrup)-vat-like depth of so many of Lutens' confectionaries.
    Thanks for the detailed review. I do remember violets as well as wood in the shower gel. I look forward to re-testing in 3 weeks time on my next duty-free visit, probably with heavier dosing than last time

Terre d'Hermes (+2)
    Zino Davidoff (+1)
    Bvlgari PH Extreme (+1)
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermes (+3)
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

+ 5 on Azzaro Pour Homme. However, I am a relative newbie.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermès and Prada Amber pour Homme

Millesime Imperial

Post Thanks / Like

Herrera's Chic for men is the best all-rounder from my wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Green Irish Tweed. If I could only have one for all-time, this would be it.

Catalyst by Halston. This fragrenac never fails to get a comment. I have a wardrobe of over £6000 worth of frgrance. If it is new I have to have it, and then am sadly dissapointed. I often buy blind and hence the Avatar. Having saitd that a I was recommended this fragrance by a very nice woman in a store and it subsequently has become the cheapest ones available. However such a masculin scent and one a woman just grabbed me in the lift and said you know you smell absolutley gorgeous! This was testomony itself after buying niche and bespoke perfumes costing £180 and a £20 fragrance just blew the women to jelly! Cant recommend enough! Its longevity and sheer radius is immense. Hell its so good even my best friends sisters have come up and kissed me. This didnt go down to well with the brothers however.

For me, Prada Amber Pour Homme, I can go with it everywhere with everyone and it always feels great, smells great and always earns some good words from others

Creeds Himalaya can be worn anytime and anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Something that I could wear year round.....Aventus

Post Thanks / Like

Fahrenheit or L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme

Riverside Drive, Central Park and Wall Street from Bond No.9.....Armani Code Pour Homme and YSL L'Homme......These can be worn anytime and anywhere!!!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Green Irish Tweed

(+13 or however many we're at now)

Kenzo Pour Homme and GIT

Issey Miyake!!

Body Kouros (I agree with what was said above)

Post Thanks / Like

For me:
    Cuir Ottoman. It is utterly beautiful from start to finish. Incredibly easy to wear. A wonderful skin scent hours down the line.
    Warm and comforting in winter But bold and electric in hot weather. I feel incredibly confident when I wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Terre D'Hermes

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Not just one. But... BURBERRY BRIT !!!!!

No originality points here. Terre D'Hermes is the Mr Versitility of my collection.

Green Irish Tweed and Chanel Allure Edition Blanche in my collection

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a tie between:

Invasion Barbare
    Jaipur Homme
    Costume National Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Vintage Shalimar Extrait.

Post Thanks / Like

Really well written! Thanks for the review.

I find Givenchy Gentleman to be a versatile juice.

Post Thanks / Like

Givenchy Vetiver.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I love the smell and even the themes that they claim inspired and influenced it. It has a great, old, natural, masculine charm and doesn't smell perfume heavy to a bothersome degree. Just plain fantastic.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool water from like 16-20. That was my everything. Cheap, lasted long, smelled nice, and didn't smell 'old'. Now its probably Creed's GIT. It just works for so many things from casual trip to the supermarket to black tie fancy dinner events.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buyers_remorse View Post
    Hell its so good even my best friends sisters have come up and kissed me. This didnt go down to well with the brothers however.
    Ha, I can imagine your friend's response! Also, you've been here since 2006 yet this is your 9th post? Where have you been...

Terre d'Hermes and Green Irish Tweed are eminently wearable, as others have mentioned.

I find Rochas Man and MFK Lumiere Noire pour Homme to be good all-around scents. Rochas Man is one of most versatile gourmands I've tried (can't think of any gourmands more wearable).

And Lumiere Noire PH has this lightness that is great during the day and in warm weather, yet it's also romantic, warm and elegant - perfect for evenings and cooler weather.

Dior Homme

Best all around frag Ive owned?

I say:

- Kenzo Pour Homme
    - L'eau d'issey Pour Homme
    - D&G Pour Pour Homme

These I could just use for everything. When I dont know what a day will bring, these are often my "go to"-frags...

Post Thanks / Like

as the best "all around" fragrance, YSL - Rive Gauche PH