Code of Conduct

Default Pepper Notes = Instant Anosmia??

Does this happen to anyone else when wearing fragrances with a prominent pepper note? I think this may be the second time I've worn a fragrance that was said to be long lasting that is a dud on my skin (which is average in terms of oil content). Could it be acute anosmia?

Which notes do you think trigger anosmia in your nose most readily?

Default Re: Pepper Notes = Instant Anosmia??

What two frags have you tried?

I love strong pepper notes and can't say that I get anosmia from pepper - Molton Brown Pepper cologne disappears very quickly, but that's not anosmia it's just a weak and disappointing cologne. Both Penhaligon's Opus 1870 and Blenheim Bouquet are great long lasting frags with a strong pepper note and Lauren Polo Sport Extreme is also very good, again no anosmia problem with that.

There aren't many frags that I get anosmia with and no individual notes I'm aware of that kick it off for me. In fact the only frag I can think of that I've ever had anosmia with is VC&A Tsar.

I have experienced poor longevity with both Jil Sander for Men and Jil Sander Sport for Men. They both contain pepper in varying amounts but Jil Sander Sport has a lot of pepper in the heart notes. I'm just trying to figure out why so many others have described these as long lasting or far-projecting scents.
    Last edited by OlfactoryExperience; 19th April 2010 at 03:57 PM.

The only thing I am pretty sure I am anosmic to is Diptyque's Tam Dao. I can't smell their Santal candle, either. I can smell sandlewood in other things, though, so I don't know what's up.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Institution

No, pepper is something that practically jumps out to my nose when I smell it. I have not smelled those two Jil Sander fragrances.

Remember: just because pepper is a listed note and just because other people might comment that it's very pepper prominent to their nose, does NOT mean timkm1 that you will feel the same way. Everyone's nose, skin chemistry and perception is slightly different.

Perhaps you need to increase your sampling of pepper prominent fragrances? My top 3 pepper fragrances are Hermessence Poivre Samarcande by Hermes, Scent Two: Laurel by Monocle x Comme des Garcons and Poivre 23 by Le Labo. And yes...these three are pretty expensive and hard-to-obtain. For a more affordable and VERY STRONG pepper fragrance, try the discontinued (but easy to find) Polo Sport Extreme by Ralph Lauren. I do not like it, but OMG it is a pepper BOMB of a fragrance.

Burberry The Beat is the only pepper fragrance I've tried and I didn't have any ill effects from it. The only fragrance I got anosmia from is probably Usher's VIP. The opening smelled like rubbing alcohol or piercing sweat.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Everytime I wear Epic man it tires my nose and by the third hour I cannot smell it. I know it's my nose because Epic has 24 hour longevity when I don't wear it. So I ended up selling it for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No, pepper is something that practically jumps out to my nose when I smell it. I have not smelled those two Jil Sander fragrances.

Remember: just because pepper is a listed note and just because other people might comment that it's very pepper prominent to their nose, does NOT mean timkm1 that you will feel the same way. Everyone's nose, skin chemistry and perception is slightly different.

Perhaps you need to increase your sampling of pepper prominent fragrances? My top 3 pepper fragrances are Hermessence Poivre Samarcande by Hermes, Scent Two: Laurel by Monocle x Comme des Garcons and Poivre 23 by Le Labo. And yes...these three are pretty expensive and hard-to-obtain. For a more affordable and VERY STRONG pepper fragrance, try the discontinued (but easy to find) Polo Sport Extreme by Ralph Lauren. I do not like it, but OMG it is a pepper BOMB of a fragrance.
    It's not that I don't detect the pepper note; I smell it quite heavily, and then, maybe 30 mins later, I don't smell much at all. Is this due to my nose or the juice? It's frustrating because the pepper note appears 10-15 mins following application resulting in only an hour of true enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Everytime I wear Epic man it tires my nose and by the third hour I cannot smell it. I know it's my nose because Epic has 24 hour longevity when I don't wear it. So I ended up selling it for that reason.
    Interesting comment...So how did you determine the longevity without wearing it? Did you test it on paper? Your answer may help me determine whether my nose is becoming anosmic or whether its just a matter of poor longevity. Thanks.