Code of Conduct

Thread: M7=Mature?

Default M7=Mature?

Hey guys,
    I am a college student who happens to love YSL M7. Back in the colder months, I wore this on a cold winter night and a female friend of mine commented on how I kind of smelled "like an old guy". I was shocked. I mean I freaking love m7 and was disheartened that a female friend (who happened to be quite attractive) said it smelled like an "old man's cologne". I have heard this is awesome for clubbing, but now I am too scared to wear it. So guys, what are your thoughts? M7....a mature frag? Thanks for your help

Default Re: M7=Mature?

i like m7, use it , try it out but have some safe frags for backup but i say if you like it wear it

Cool Re: M7=Mature?

I suppose if you were in the middle of getting it on with a hot babe and she pushed you off as she screamed:
    " AARGH! YOU SMELL LIKE AN OLD MAN! " Then proceeded to vomit, It might be somewhat disconcerting.

But the story you've narrated about your good looking female friend ( Say, why is she just a--naw, never mind.) is really rather mild--honestly!

In fact there's an old thread somewhere--which I'm too lazy to look for since I can't remember the name---where we were asked what was the worst comment we had ever received on a fragrance!

The answers were unintentionally hilarious.
    (Though they sure didn't feel like it at the time we were put down for wearing them!)

Want to know my opinion of M7?

You don't. It's completely irrelevant.
    You like it. End of story.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Did she say it as in you smelled like an old man or did she say it as in you smell like a mature guy? World of difference, yo.

You are too scared to wear "it" ? Yes, be afraid....be very afraid.

M7 is something I wear with no issues. Actually, I feel really great wearing it. Mysterious in a way.

Perhaps you should stick to the bubble gum type smelling scents to impress younger girls. Paco Rabanne 1 Million, Givenchy Play Intense. Maybe something more cologney ? Versace pour Homme I guess. I actually think these scents are nice, so don't think I am being rude by suggesting them. The latest YSL L'homme flanker is nice too for "younger" guys. I'm still deciding which will one will be my own choice.

But keep in mind this. Does your female friend speak for all females ? Does it matter that she was attractive ( or not ) ?

Do you want my John Varvatos for your M7 ?
    Last edited by Surfacing; 19th April 2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Its probably because every one of her ex-boyfriends wore Aqua di Gio, that something sophisticated and 'different' would smell like an older man to her.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 19th April 2010 at 05:30 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

M7=Mature? - Yes, considering the mainstream alternatives available in the mass market today.

M7 was released in 2002 and doesn't really smell much like anything else before it. One could suggest that it began the current trend of oud as an ingredient in many scents.

You do the math and make a conclusion about what delusion your maiden is having.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Next time you're around her and she's wearing something - well, assuming it's the standard issue fruity floral, perhaps with a smattering of gourmand notes - you should have sniff the air and note how you smell something "young and decidedly fruity, very much like a tart."
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

It`s the King of the designer scents. Wear it with pride, and give a damn wath other think of it. They don`t have a clue!

There's a kind of inverse law at work when you hear the phrase "old man smell" that goes something along the lines of the more immature the nose the 'older' the new or unfamiliar colognes are going to smell. I wouldn't worry at all if I were you. In fact, to have discovered and embraced such a rare beast as M7 at your age is the only issue to note here. Tip o' the hat to you, lad!

Buy Abercrombie Fierce and give me your M7. Make your babe happy. End of story :-)

haha thanks guys....unfortunately for some here, even if others don't like it, I don't think I have the heart to swap it...its just too damn nice

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    There's a kind of inverse law at work when you hear the phrase "old man smell" ...
    I'm not sure whose it is, but sometimes i hear people assign to Sigmund Freud this line (or something like this):
    "When Peter talks about Paul, I know more about Peter than Paul."

Whatever, the problem is not your M7.

I wouldn't worry too much about what your friend thinks. If you like it, wear it.

M7 is very mature to my nose, but not in an "old man" style, in fact, in spite of some heavier and spicier notes, it is still very youthful as overall impression and I still know a lot of younger wearers (18-20 or even below this age group) who enjoy this frag, even getting quite a few compliments on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    M7 was released in 2002 and doesn't really smell much like anything else before it. One could suggest that it began the current trend of oud as an ingredient in many scents.

You do the math and make a conclusion about what delusion your maiden is having.
    That is a puzzler. In my experience in here, the younger guys are the strongest advocates for M7. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure what she was smelling, but it's fairly unique I gather and seems pretty far from "mature."

It's not a knock on your date, but some people who are not into frags just don't have much of a range to relate to them. I wouldn't form any conclusions about M7 based on that one comment. Vintage Tabarome it ain't.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th April 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Hmm, this 'babe' seems to know her way around 'old guys'...in which case M7 wasn't the real problem, but your game might be. Let me put it to you in another way, if she is attracted to you, she'll find something to compliment you on.

Just be confident in whatever you wear and crack her up with a cheeky, nonchalant remark like: "Really? Well I hear you like older guys..." Girls do love guys who are confident and self-assured. Try it. You won't be short of other 'hot' options before long...

Sorry for going OT. heh.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 19th April 2010 at 03:27 PM.

I own a mini bottle of M7. My impression is that it carries a fireplace type scent. If fireplaces conjure up images of old men in bathrobes uncorking champagne, then yeah, I can see the connection. To me, though, I think that it certainly is better for cold weather and probably late evenings. Since I like daytime colognes the best, it's easy for me to overlook this one.

Quote Originally Posted by imrickjames118 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am a college student who happens to love YSL M7. Back in the colder months, I wore this on a cold winter night and a female friend of mine commented on how I kind of smelled "like an old guy".
    If you really are into her, and you were a little quicker on the draw, you could have asked her if she wanted to break a hip with you.

Honestly, I would advise against wearing M7 around her since you know she doesn't care for it but if you believe that fragrance is at least as much for your enjoyment as it is for those around you, keep it, wear it, love it--in private.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 19th April 2010 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's not a knock on your date, but some people who are not into frags just don't have much of a range to relate to them. I wouldn't form any conclusions about M7 based on that one comment. Vintage Tabarome it ain't.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with Stylin. Good point and better than the one I had.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with Stylin. Good point and better than the one I had.
    I shouldn't be profiling her, but I'd bet if OP was wearing AdG she'd have said "You smell goooooooood!"

M7 is one of those scents that I wear for myself and not others, meaning that I've never received a positive response from it. All the girls I know tend to like only the fresh scents and popular orientals such as Le Male. For what it's worth, I would never consider M7 to be a clubbing scent.

Edited to add: I've never received compliments while wearing any of my YSL scents (Rive Gauche, Opium, M7). The general reaction is usually negative from the opposite sex.
    Last edited by teflondog; 19th April 2010 at 07:55 PM.

When I owned M7, I received a comment from my roommate I smelled like an old woman! I didn't (and don't) like it much - it was an early blind buy - but I still stood by my SotD! Later in the day the same person proclaimed that I now smelled good. It was M7's drydown.

Was this beautiful woman smelling the top or the base?

Also, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Just be confident in whatever you wear and crack her up with a cheeky, nonchalant remark like: "Really? Well I hear you like older guys..." Girls do love guys who are confident and self-assured. Try it. You won't be short of other 'hot' options before long...
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 19th April 2010 at 08:20 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

thanks again for your responses....and just to clarify i am making a hasty generalization here of the general reception from all women from one female comment (and btw I wasn't trying to game her)

I would tend to agree with her >.>

A bit O-T, but does enyone here use M7 during summer?

Quote Originally Posted by imrickjames118 View Post
    thanks again for your responses....and just to clarify i am making a hasty generalization here of the general reception from all women from one female comment (and btw I wasn't trying to game her)
    Well, yes. Be careful not to make hasty decisions based on ONE comment. My point earlier in this thread- she may not have smelled anything like M7 and therefore has no place to mentally "categorize" it. Many people not into scents will do this. You say college age and that infers to me that she probably is used to AdG and other light, modern scents. As such, she smelled something a bit "different" and it became "mature" to her.

I am mature and I have a GF who is in her 30s. She is not into perfume at all. She likes light, modern scents like AdG and Issey Miyake. ANYTHING that smells strong, or masculine, she categorizes as "Old Spice" (aka "mature").

You're in here, so you're a bit of a "fume head" operating at a higher level. Not a knock on your friend, just an observation from experience. You're going to need to find your path like everyone else in here.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 20th April 2010 at 05:28 PM.