Code of Conduct

Default help me chose a fragrance my ocd/ clean freak girlfriend would like on me (i have a list)

the last scent she bought me was clinique happy and l'eau par kenzo but that was years ago and i've yet to finish that one still. she's a virgo and clean manicured nails are a necessity.

i saw these at the grey market place where i buy my scents from and took note.

terre d'hermes
    prada ambre pour homme
    escada sunset heat
    jacques fath green water
    gendarme
    clean men
    dana canoe

i thought canoe was supposed to be cheap it was in a grey box but was near the price of most except the hermes. maybe it was a 200ml?

the escada is harder to find so there's that.

more expensive stuff...

jo malone lime basil and mandarin
    jo malone amber and lavander
    creed royal water

Default Re: help me chose a fragrance my ocd/ clean freak girlfriend would like on me (i have a list)

try TABAC edt.

Default Re: help me chose a fragrance my ocd/ clean freak girlfriend would like on me (i have a list)

Jacques Fath Green Water is an amazing scent. It is a class act all the way. Very green, a bit minty, herbal, quite refreshing. See my BN review, I like it a lot.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Terre D'Hermes

From your list I would choose Gendarme. Bvlgari PH would be a good choice given your girlfriends preference.
    On a side note, when you say clean, manicured nails are you saying she requires that of you? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by pourhomme View Post
    i thought canoe was supposed to be cheap it was in a grey box but was near the price of most except the hermes. maybe it was a 200ml?
    It could be the 8oz. EdT splash that you're looking at, which may be more than you want (unless you and your girlfriend really, really like it)

Gendarme for sure
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sur la Plage

Terre d'Hermes by far
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Terre D'Hermes is a pretty safe bet.

I'd see too if they had the other Gendarmes. The main Gendarme is nice, but Gendarme 20 is stronger and very much a clean pressed shirt smell. Has better longevity than Gendarme.

You could try Tommy from Tommy Hilfigger. It smells like fresh laundry.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Dettol Or some other pine-scented disinfectant - they can smell pretty sharp. Your GF would approve!

But seriously, whatever you do don't get Clean Men - it's pretty wretched, a waste of money as far as fragrances go. I'd probably go with the Hermes.

L'Eau Serge Lutens smells of a steam iron!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Gendarme

From the list you have provided, I would plump for Jacques Fath Green Water- it is the epitome of natual cleanliness.

Nah, sod it, wear Eau D'Hermes and tell her it's time to get down and dirty with it.

Out of the selection you list Prada Amber pour Homme is a clean soapy barbershoppy fragrance.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 19th April 2010 at 07:23 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    try TABAC edt.
    The shaving soap is nice too ;-)

terre d'hermes - Is very very strong on me. She may find it overpowering.
    prada ambre pour homme - Good choice as a cool weather scent that's inoffensive and clean.
    escada sunset heat - Meh.
    jacques fath green water - Yes, good, buy.
    gendarme - Very clean but also quite boring.
    clean men - Forget it.
    dana cano - Unfamiliar.

jo malone lime basil and mandarin - Meh.
    jo malone amber and lavander - Another good clean cool weather choice, if Prada doesn't speak to you.
    creed royal water - Unfamiliar.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

i'd love to try your other suggestions but they're not accessible to me at the moment. although i told the saleslady to call me when the tabac aftershave comes in. no soap and edt. not sure if it was a splash or balm either.

On a side note, when you say clean, manicured nails are you saying she requires that of you? Just curious.
    nah she has a woman come over our apartment to do her nails and want me to do the same but i barely have time for a haircut.

It could be the 8oz. EdT splash that you're looking at, which may be more than you want (unless you and your girlfriend really, really like it)
    i think it was just the 115 ml if i remember correctly. around $40. i thought canoe would be $10 or something like the jovan musk for men i recently bought. prada amber tester/ jacques fath/ gendarme/ clean men/ sunset heat are also $40ish. terre is about $80.

You want clean, I'll give You clean. Rive Gauche Pour Homme

TdH is fantastic but it does start off quite strong, strong in a very positive way.. not strong like Kourous, Qourum, Gray Flannel etc..
    Sunset Heat is quite young, tropical, sweet, fruity and invigorating.
    Canoe is a classic, powdery yet subtle; very classy for such a cheapy. (Canoe has gone up in price in the past few years because it's more of a classic now and is said to be Dana's top seller -- still considered a cheapy though)
    Those are the ones I know, in fact I've owned all of those in the past. Going by what you're describing, and what I know about these, I'd go with either Canoe or TdH for something different than what she has gotten for you in the past. But if she likes Happy and L'eau Par, then Sunset Heat would definitely appeal to her.
    TdH and Canoe are more for the sophisticated, both of these fragrances IMO can be love or hate fragrances, especially TdH. Where as Sunset Heat is pretty much liked by all.

Best of luck!

tdh sounds like a plan

Prada Amber PH is clean and smells like very expensive soap.

green irish tweed by creed is as clean as a baby out of a shower you cannot get any cleaner.

smeller

Mugler Cologne

or

Bulgari pour Homme
    212 men (I don't like, but perhaps it would fit)
    Eternity for men

well, the only scent on your list that i have tried is Escada sun set.

Not bad, but definitely a younger scent. Its also very fruity (papaya/mango)

Canoe is a classic, powdery yet subtle; very classy for such a cheapy. (Canoe has gone up in price in the past few years because it's more of a classic now and is said to be Dana's top seller -- still considered a cheapy though)
    i didn't like brut and rive gauche so much. does it smell like either? i liked azzaro pour homme the most among aromatic fougeres and the simpler fougeres like truefitt and hill grafton are not bad at all for me. pinaud i've never smelled and my barbershop smelled of mennen skin bracer.

terre is indeed safer since it is the only one i have tried among my list. i love the mineral note but that's only because i like my wine to taste like rocks too.

Prada Infusion d'Homme smells like soap. Doesn't get much cleaner than that...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Jacques Fath Green Water is an amazing scent. It is a class act all the way. Very green, a bit minty, herbal, quite refreshing. See my BN review, I like it a lot.
    I agree. I've never tried it but I have tried the others (including Creed's Royal Water) boring . . .
    Are you sure your GF is 18 or over? I mean, Clinique Happy?
    Perhaps a pedicure and a stronger mouthwash would be money better spent?
    Then again HDS's suggestion of Eau D'Hermes might work IF she has a half glass of white wine, or an extra strong Perrier with a twist of lime.
    come to think of it, one of THE cleanest scents I've smelled is Infusion by Bombay Gin

Check out the reviews, and remember that she loves you, not just your nails.
    I hope.
    Virgos? Hm . . .
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Terre d“Hermes by Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by pourhomme View Post
    i didn't like brut and rive gauche so much. does it smell like either? i liked azzaro pour homme the most among aromatic fougeres and the simpler fougeres like truefitt and hill grafton are not bad at all for me. pinaud i've never smelled and my barbershop smelled of mennen skin bracer.

terre is indeed safer since it is the only one i have tried among my list. i love the mineral note but that's only because i like my wine to taste like rocks too.
    Canoe smells nothing like Brut -- Brut smells like mold, Canoe smells clean. I've never tried Rive Gauche, so I can't say anything on that; Canoe is powdery, soft and linear. I guess you can associate Canoe with "barbershop scents" I haven't really smelled anything similar to it, it's just very very powdery. I usually hate powdery frags, but because Canoe isn't cloying, and doesn't project enough to offend anyone it makes it enjoyable.

It's not on your list but...

I have received many comments/compliments wearing Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake. Many of these compliments involve the person mentioning how clean I/it smells. Maybe this would work?

Since your girlfriend bought you Clinque Happy it gives a general idea of what types of fragrances she would like. I'm willing to bet she likes light, clean, citrus and strays from the spicier heavy scents. Judging from that here's a list according to her taste I think she would enjoy.

Prada Infusion D'Homme - clean, fresh soap
    Mugler Cologne - fresh green irish spring soap
    Clean French Milled Soap - the only worthwhile fragrance of the Clean series, and this smells pretty good, despite it being marketed to women it's unisex
    L'eau D'iossey - complex, citrusy, fresh, slightly floral and veyr long lasting
    Chrome - musky floral with slight citrus
    Light Blue Pour Femme - despite it being marketed towards women it has a masculine feel and many men wear it. clean fresh lemon laundry

Some I wouldn't recommend would be

Rive Gauche - more mature barbershop smell
    Gendarme - clean but rather boring
    Prada Amber - feminine smelling hotel soap

I tried keeping the fragrances relatively inexpensive since Clinque Happy is.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I agree with fellow BNers who suggested Infusion d' Homme (Infusion de Vetiner is pretty much along the same lines) and Mugler Cologne.

If you haven't tried it yet, Green Water will work fine for what you are looking for.

But there are lots of other "clean freak" gifrlriend friendly scents to recommend. You could try Mugler Cologne (green vetiver), or Heely Menthe Fraische (complex mint), or Allure Homme Cologne Sport (grapefruit sherbert), and also I really like the new Nightscape (sparkling, cold patchouli) by Ulrich Lang.

silver mountain water or Himalaya are good both are Creed, even orange spice might work.

Also (I'm sure some have thought this)... consider what YOU like. If it ain't pleasing to you, then don't bother. Accommodation is good, but to thine own self be true.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I have pretty severe OCD, and I'm not quite sure I understand how it relates to the fragrances you wear? I definitely understand the clean-freak idea, but I've never really thought about the visual obsessions, somehow translating into olfactory obsessions? But, I suppose if you're looking for something impeccably clean, you can't go wrong with Gendarme, which for me is a very soothing scent (perhaps it would ease her OCD moments?), and for something else, try to sample Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 21st April 2010 at 01:14 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

/\ +1 Gendarme is soothing, comforting, and clean. All natural ingredients as well.

Also (I'm sure some have thought this)... consider what YOU like. If it ain't pleasing to you, then don't bother. Accommodation is good, but to thine own self be true.
    yup i agree! i don't wear what i like when i'm with her though since i love powerbombs or stinkbombs. i also love deliberately offensive stuff and those that enter the room before you do descriptions. the purchases i'm considering for me are van cleef and arpels pour homme, acier aluminium, muscs koublai khan, l'air de rein, annick goutal musc nomade. i also like cheap and vulgar (good vulgar) frags like azzaro ph and aqua velva musk.

LOL muscs koublai khan or Musc Ravageur would be exposure therapy.... Nail polish stinks pretty bad, maybe you could risk turning it up a notch or two?!