Code of Conduct

Default Classic Eau De Cologne type frags

I really like these, and find their light nature and shortish life very useful for certain situations where I am not sure if frags are appropriate or not, or where I know I must err on the side of caution as far as sillage goes.

Ones I know and love include:

Eau de cologne imperiale (guerlain) - this is my fav - very dry and classy and natural smelling,
    Bien Etre (all natural french thing),
    Trumpers cologne.

(I put Acqua di Parma in a slightly different catagory - what do you think?)

I can't help feeling I must be missing some classics here, so please help me out.

which ones do you like (or not) and why?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: Classic Eau De Cologne type frags

They're not real classics (yet?) but have you tried Comme des Garçons' 4th series, aptly called Cologne? I truly adore Vettiveru and Citrico.

A real plus is the huge and very neat looking bottle:

Oh how I've been waiting for this post. Thanks hirch_duckfinder :bounce:

If you're ever in Cologne, check out Farina Gegenüber, the REAL one (there's so many fake Farinas, 4711 among them). It's the one with this seal:
    http://www.farinagegenueber.de/

It's impossible to get anywhere, their marketing is (intentionally?) lousy, but this is the original mother of all Eau de Colognes.

Roger & Gallet has a whole line of colognes of which I own the Extra Vieille/Jean Marie Farina (the companies are historically related) and a newer one simply named Cologne. The former is a very classical lemon-bergamot-neroli type, the newer one I haven't even spent any time with yet. Generally more green.
    Better than either is No. 444 Extra Vieille by Berdoues, which was a 1-Euro ebay buy. Same style as R&G EV, but longer lasting and with quite a nice neroli note.

EdC style EdTs I really like are Asprey's Purple Water and Etiquette Bleue by d'Orsay. Less EdC like but super subtle in an almost Cologne way and enjoyable to wear are Rodier pour homme and Incanto by Ferragamo.

What I haven't tried is 1916 by Myurgia from Spain which is the local version of Acqua di Parma I gather (same year even?)

I'd love to hear more EdC suggestions from others. There must be dozens in France. Actually this sound very interesting, but I haven't tried it yet:

http://www.florame.com/english/cat_e...toillette.php#
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'm glad that a German brought up Farina Gegenüber -- it's great for those "light" scent days. (It's also more readily available on the Net in the U.S. than you might think.)

Roger & Gallet is great, too, and I find that their EDCs tend to have more longevity than others (e.g., Muelhens, Guerlain etc.). Great prices on R&G, too!

L'Occitane makes some great EDTs that are just light enough to pass muster here, too. Their Vetyver (esp. when worn lightly) is just wonderful.

Also, have you considered some of the old fashioned bay rums available? (I sometimes think I'm the only guy under the age of 95 who still appreciates a good bay rum!)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

The mother of all Colognes, the German Farina Original Cologne of 1709, Kölnisch Wasser, perhaps slightly modified during the centuries:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=Farina
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Maria_Farina

The second 'authentic': 'Jean Marie Farina Eau de Cologne' by Roger & Gallet (1806) whith high probability of being the Farinas authentic last version of the family's Cologne creation. Jean Marie, heir of the 'licenses (?)', moved From Cologne to France in 1806. The rights and further production were transferred to Roger & Gallet in 1862.

Eau De Guerlain (a personal favorite)

Eau Fraiche by Christian Dior (discontinued & re-launched)
    plus about two dozen more in England, Italy and France, the latest: Aqua di Parma, Colonia Assoluta; Ed. Malle/Ellena: Cologne Bigarade (minimum longuevity) CD Eau Sauvage (s), Rochas Moustache, and Monsdieur de Givenchy are masculine variations, and noticeably 'scented colognes' that can be perceived for hours instead of only minutes. I just received samples of Penhaligon, Trumper and Harris. Some of these fit this last category of 'scented classical colognes'.
    Last edited by narcus; 21st March 2008 at 08:12 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Yes, Extra Vieille by Roger & Gallet is really something. I love its thym and citrus notes.

Then you have the minty Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes, remember it was launched as Eua de Cologne Hermes.

Otherwise Monsieur Givenchy is very eau de cologne-ish.

I also like
    Caswell Massey No. 6
    Thierry Mugler Cologne (of course)

I have Roger & Gallet Bouquet Imperiale EDC. Not really like a traditional cologne (I think it lacks the neroli) but you can spray a lot on and it lasts all day, although lightly. Very fruity top. Reminds me of Eau Savage a little bit.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Another fan of the Roger & Gallet Bouquet Imperial EDC. It is a beautiful skin scent, fruity with some white musk. Lasts well, though stays very close to the skin.

Another great fragrance that is eau de cologne strength is Boss's Baldassarini.

To me — subjectively — this seems to be EDT strength, and I think the ingredients are very high quality. Thus I don't know whether it counts as a "classic EDC". But it is out there nevertheless.

BTW great information narcus.

cheers

I just bought a 30-something yr old bottle of "Monsieur Worth" in a splash bottle.

This is a classic scent of the type your asking about-a real, old school EDC for the sophisticated gentleman!

Lancome Balafre Braun (sp) fits the bill too.

How good is eau sauvage by dior ?
    -

Exclamation Re: Classic Eau De Cologne type frags

Not to forget some real classic colognes

Acqua Classica / Borsari - Italy
    Arlington / D.R. Harris, London - UK
    Agua Fresca / Adolfo Dominguez - Spain
    Agua Lavanda / Antonio Puig - Spain
    1916 Hierba Fresca / Myrurgia - Spain
    Imperial Vetyver / Yardley - UK
    Blenheim Bouquet / Penhaligon's - UK
    Elite / Floris - UK
    Eau de Gingembre / Roger & Gallet - France

and the so missed - because no longer produced - "Classic Cologne Collection" of Penhaligon's:

Eau Sans Pareil, Eau de Cologne, Eau de Verviene and Esprit de Roi

My ten favorites in November (fragrances alphabetical):

Agua de Sandolo Adolfo Dominguez
    Bambus Mouson
    Custom Alfred Dunhill
    Duel Annick Goutal
    Fougere e Legni Pal Zileri Collezione Privata
    Flor de Blason Myrurgia
    Imperial Vetyver Yardley
    Panama 1924 Boellis
    Soulle Ámbar Floris
    Wellington Cologne George F. Trumper

Does anybody know Eau pour Soi by Roger & Gallet?
    I would be curious to get a second opinion on that one
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I have been wearing MPG Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme for the past week or so - its a great citrus-lemony fragrance, with a spicy tinge to it. The middle notes contain nutmeg and coriander, while the base is musky sandalwood. This is what Live Jazz should have been - the nutmeg and coriander never take over the scent as they do in Live Jazz. Longevity is sadly a bit lacking though.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    How good is eau sauvage by dior ?
    See my review. Fantastic, if you're not one of those people it develops a fecal note on.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    See my review. Fantastic, if you're not one of those people it develops a fecal note on.
    I checked your review. Yikes. I am going to give it a try nonetheless - heres hoping Eau Sauvage doesnt shit on me too !
    -

I'm glad other people mention R&G JMF Extra-Vieille, I've always noticed a big silence on it here on BN, while I find it the perfect classic. At my sports club there's a big splash bottle (like one liter) for free members' use, and I indulge in massive quantities, almost shower in it.

One more to mention is also LV Colonia, a high-quality rendition of the classic recipe.

I also like the Trumpers' cologne series (Astor, Curzon,...), but they're not really typical cologne recipe; same with Blenheim.

I agree with the recs of the R&G's EdC fraggrances: they are really great.
    I also agree with Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez, this is the mroe masculine version of a EdC, but if you like cery fresh roses Adolfo D. has Agua fresca De Rosas, wich is great too.

I would recommend some that haven't been mentioned: the EdC's from the Institut Très Bien Parfums Beauté - Paris they have some "classic" inspired colognes that are very very good ( but very fleeting too):

Cologne à la Française : magnolia, grapefruit from Israel, white lemon from Sicily,mexican lime, provence lavander,morroccan rosemary, neroli, benzoin, iris.

Cologne à la Russe : sicilian lemon, calabre cedar, sicilian bergamot, mexican lime, morroccan rosemary, provence lavander, vervein, orange blossom, ambrette, benzoin, florence iris.

Cologne à l'Italienne : Sicilian white lemon, winter lemon, mexican lime, oranges, calabrian cedar, paraguayan petit grain, orange blossom, rosemary, neroli, florence iris, benzoin, paraguayan mate.

this year they released a new, stronger one:
    Très Russe: 2006 unisex
    it's a concentrated, reworked version of the cologne russe with diff notes:
    bergamot, limette, almond, vanilla, musk, iris, orange blossom, lavender, benzoin and tonka bean.

I also like: the Boucherons EdC versions of Boucheron PH, Laurence Dumont's Eau de Cologne, Penthaglion's EdC, 1835 EdC by Woods of Windsor.
    A lot of the Guerlain scents seem to be "cologne inspired" too: eau de fleurs de cédrat, eau du coq, eau imperiale (wich was mentioned here) and eau de guerlain.

There is also one really great and unique smelling EdC from Chile called Agua de Colonia H.Barzelatto, wich is sold in 100 and 500ml bottles, as far as i know, it's only sold there.
    They had 5 limited editions 50ml bottles a couple of years of this scent each one inspired by a soliflore but with the typical H.Barzelatto smell: violets, orange blossom, herbs, vetiver, and roses i think.The limiteds are discontinued now but the other original one is still in production.

I love EauxDColognes!

Quote Originally Posted by marco
    ...I also like the Trumpers' cologne series (Astor, Curzon,...), but they're not really typical cologne recipe; same with Blenheim.
    I sampled Astor recently, and agree. Harris' Arlington: The first whiff is like the English version of Eau Imperial! More intense testing confirmed this. But it's almost like Harris wanted something 'in the line of..', and succeeded to make it even better!
    All in all, these are surprisingly late discoveries over here. Perfumeries in Germany and Switzerland carry little or nothing from Britain, and I never ever saw a commercial. All fine classics to my nose, and way more light colognes than are used on the continent except maybe France.
    Last edited by narcus; 7th November 2006 at 01:29 PM.

Great thread! I was waiting for a thread like this.

I am quiet surprised that Santa Maria Novella (colonia) wasn´t mentioned before. With it´s character and history it fits perfectly in this category.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Help this thread is getting expensive for me
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

I'm still on my Eau De Cologne trip.

Today the Roger and Gallet Extra Vieille arrived - this is a more orange based formulation than many and is lighter on the rosamary and lavender than most. It seems to last relatively well compared to many others. It also is a little less dry than the rest with a little sweetness to it. So far I like it less than the guerlains but if it really persisits then that may weigh in its favour.....

Also recently aquired by swap - Guerlain Eau De Coq. The Guerlain website lists the top notes as lavender, lemon, rosemary, lemon, bergamot, orange. So lemony, they included it twice!!! It lists no heart or base notes at all! This is a beautifully balanced lemon eau, extremely dry, very short lived, very beautiful. Did I mention it was beautiful?

More to follow.

reviews

Acqua Di Biella Number 1 is a very nice EDC but it certainly has longevity issues.

Two more that I think are quite nice and haven't been mentioned yet are PdN Cologne Sologne (citrus based) and Eau de Provence (lanvender). They're a little sweeter than many, but still quite distinctive and unique. Longevity isn't great, but in my experience better than Eau d'orange Verte or Eau Imperial (Guerlain).
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Blog Entries

I too love Guerlain's Eau de Coq - it is truly beautiful!

I am also a loyal fan of Dior Eau Sauvage I haven't noticed any fecal note though. I wouldn't mind if I did as, like the French, I prefer a touch of pudeur in my perfumes.

May I also suggest :

Crown Perfumery Eau de Quinine - like wearing a qood quality Gin & Tonic, with ice and a slice (lime). Lasts quite well for an eaux as well.
    Crown Perfumery Town & Country - not sure if a proper eaux but one of the best lavender / citrus blends out there. Good longevity & sillage.
    Crown Perfumery Crown Imperiale - now this has a fecal note! To me this smells of the true countryside, fresh air, hay, and soil with a great realistic lemon accord. Earthy, longlasting.
    Gres Quiproquo - I bought this blind and didn't realise it was 'for men' until I bought my back up stash of it. This starts of like Guerlain Jicky with an animalic note but soon mellows into the freshest, greenest smooth eau with good longevity. True love for me. Perfect in hot weather. Drydown similar to Dior Eau Sauvage, (green, woody oakmoss) on me.

Happy Sniffing!
    Last edited by moondeva; 6th December 2006 at 04:38 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I am surprised that one one has mentioned Caswell-Massey's Number Six. Puportedly this scent was George Washington's favourite. It is much longer lasting than the classic 4711 and quite brisk and clean. Unfortunately Caswell-Massey has been systematically destroying their older collection: Newport has been totally reformulated and Greenbrair (the name really reflected the fragrance) has also been altered. Also all their colognes used to come in beautiful big bottles of 8 and 16 (!) ounces - the only size left is the diminutive 3 oz. size. Pity

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I'm still on my Eau De Cologne trip.
    I am just starting mine!

I found this old thread - there is a mother load of suggestions here.

I have a few of the colognes discussed and will have to research the rest (most of these I had never heard of before).

Are there any others that haven't been mentioned or that you think deserve special recognition?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Piazzetta di Portofino is worth a look---its a very pleasant EDC.

I bought a 33oz (1 liter) bottle of Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille for $65.

In terms of bang for the buck, there's no better alternative.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 3rd April 2008 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I bought a 33oz (1 liter) bottle of Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille for $65.

In terms of bang for the buck, there's no better alternative.
    I am a recent convert to Jean Marie Farina - very inexpensive for the quality. It also has better longevity than many other eau de colognes.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I am a recent convert to Jean Marie Farina - very inexpensive for the quality. It also has better longevity than many other eau de colognes.
    Farina is to my mind the KING of the classic eaux. It is not as serious as the guerlains. They do have amazing persistence in their bases though and more subtle compositions but the slightly sweeter and more orangey nature of extra vieille make it for me.

The rosemary/herbal note is incredibly persistent and this aspect of the eaux often lasts longer than heavy orientals on me. Its subtle but its there.

I would add Villoresi Acqua di colonia which is outstanding.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 3rd April 2008 at 06:23 PM.

reviews

I saw this offered on eBay a few days ago - It is a 250ml bottle of Verveine by Molinard.

Is anyone familiar with the fragrance?

seconding:
    Imperiale (Guerlain)
    Cologne de Sologne (Parfums de Nicolai)
    Eau Savage (Dior)
    Colonia (Acqua de Parma)

adding:
    Pour Monsieur (Chanel) (not the concentree which is woodier and different) although it's more floral and less citrus and citrus is a classic element in traditional cologne

Can I sneak in Tea for Two? It also is light and fresh in the hot weather.

I have those grouped in my wardrobe and lean heavily on them in the summer.

The original Eau de Rochas, the genderless one from the 70's, is one overlooked gem. Cedar and moss help to make the longevity a little better than a traditional EdC. Another favorite is Eau Dynamiste by Clarins. An "herbed up" citrus with decent longevity. It's described as a treatment fragrance by Clarins, whatever that means.
    Also, JC Ellena's re-working of Hermes 24 Faubourg: Eau Delicate - technically it wears more like a chypre, but it certainly has that tonic feel of a cologne.
    And finally, what about all those Jo Malone citrus colognes? Some of them are quite worth anyone's time.
    Have a good search.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th April 2008 at 01:12 AM.

Recently obtained a sample of Farina Gegenüber (thanks andrewthecologneguy!) - amazing stuff...makes 4711 seem so second-rate, wish Meulhens' stuff worked better on me but such is life.

I would also add these underrated but classic to my mind:
    Murray & Lanman Florida Water
    Hoyt's 1868 Cologne
    Acqua Di Selva
    Berdoues No. 444 (can be hard to find but worth it)
    Puig Agua Lavanda (already mentioned but it bears repeating...one sniff and you'll wonder why ANYONE regardless of age would dream of spraying on Axe)

No Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte? I guess the definition of "classic" could be grounds for disagreement if you mean 100+ years old, but that aside I see no reason it shouldn't merit mention here - it's famous and infamous for all the right reasons:-)
    --------------------------------------
    There's so many must-tries here for me...Acqua di Parma, Acqua di Genova, Acqua Classica Borsari, Villoresi and SMN's EdCs, Eau De Rochas (orig. and PH), O de Lancome, Du Coq, Eau Des Fleurs De Cedrat, Eau De Guerlain, Dior Eau Fraiche, Molinard Verveine...

Is there no end to the obsession? Never mind, don't answer that;-)
    Last edited by randumbsmellyguy; 4th April 2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

I love to wear Eau de Cologne when the weather's warmer, and I was looking for the same as you. I used to wear Guerlain's Eau de Cedrat, which is wonderful but doesn't even last a minute on my skin. I've finally bought Parfum's de Nicolai Eau de Cedrat (created in 2006). It's more long lasting (but a cologne, anyway) and it's got a fresh balance between citrus and a bit of wood.

Can't get enough of Creed's Citrus Bigarrade this spring .. super stuff, with the most refreshing and realistic bitter orange note (with green accents) I have ever smelled. Expensive, yes. But what an amazing experience.
    -

Acqua di Biella No.1

Quote Originally Posted by randumbsmellyguy View Post
    No Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte? I guess the definition of "classic" could be grounds for disagreement if you mean 100+ years old, but that aside I see no reason it shouldn't merit mention here - it's famous and infamous for all the right reasons:-)
    Something classic could have been created this morning. I think the term has more to do with the creation's respect for classical proportions rather than it's actual age.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th April 2008 at 06:06 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    The original Eau de Rochas, the genderless one from the 70's, is one overlooked gem. Cedar and moss help to make the longevity a little better than a traditional EdC. Another favorite is Eau Dynamiste by Clarins. An "herbed up" citrus with decent longevity. It's described as a treatment fragrance by Clarins, whatever that means.
    Also, JC Ellena's re-working of Hermes 24 Faubourg: Eau Delicate - technically it wears more like a chypre, but it certainly has that tonic feel of a cologne.
    And finally, what about all those Jo Malone citrus colognes? Some of them are quite worth anyone's time.
    Have a good search.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you about the original Eau de Rochas. It's beautiful and has a bit of the concept of an eau chaude in embryo.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Like many French eaux in the middle of the twentieth century, the original Eau de Rochas was made for women. That's why the later EDR carried the addition 'Pour Homme'.
    Last edited by narcus; 6th April 2008 at 07:03 AM.

I love these 'Class EDC' discussions because it is a fragrance type I would very much like to explore in more depth. While a fragrance novice, I have come to the realization I prefer the traditional English houses over the designer fare here in the U.S. and am now used to purchasing Trumpers/Penhaligons/Taylors/etc. online. However, in regards to the EDC's described in this thread, what is the best way to purchase them? My guess it is even more difficult than it is for buying the English houses that I have found to be pretty readily available online. Any recommended websites or other dealers?
    Last edited by CM Wolff; 7th April 2008 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Can't get enough of Creed's Citrus Bigarrade this spring .. super stuff, with the most refreshing and realistic bitter orange note (with green accents) I have ever smelled. Expensive, yes. But what an amazing experience.
    Yes, it is a phenomenal fragrance and much underrated.

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CM Wolff View Post
    I love these 'Class EDC' discussions because it is a fragrance type I would very much like to explore in more depth. While a fragrance novice, I have come to the realization I prefer the traditional English houses over the designer fare here in the U.S. and am now used to purchasing Trumpers/Penhaligons/Taylors/etc. online. However, in regards to the EDC's described in this thread, what is the best way to purchase them? My guess it is even more difficult than it is for buying the English houses that I have found to be pretty readily available online. Any recommended websites or other dealers?
    Well, the fact they are not too poular means you can often get amazing deals on ebay or web retail - liter bottles of R&G Farina, or Guerlain's Imperiale, coq, Eau de Guerlain- the latter were cheap on fragrancedirect.co.uk for quite some time. There's also no danger of forgery, only, possibly, of getting old stock which can be a problem with classic EdCs being so volatile. I believe there's a bottle of the excellent Villoresi Colonia on ebay usa right now. I got mine on ebay.com, as well as de Nicolai's Cologne Sologne. all of my R&Gs are ebay germany purchases.
    My Wardrobe

Eau Savage comes to mind...

Monsieur de Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Something classic could have been created this morning. I think the term has more to do with the creation's respect for classical proportions rather than it's actual age.
    My thoughts as well, and just as it should be:-)
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Acqua di Biella No.1 is rarely mentioned if at all.

FRANCE from Molinard is the spicy classic Eau de Cologne

laurent
    Invisible Power

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post

EdC style EdTs I really like are Asprey's Purple Water
    Yes Yes YES!!!! I picked this up at Marshall's today and it is VERY "Classic Eau De Cologne" but even though it is an EDC, it feels like EDT strength (meaning it last longer than an hour, not that it is overpowering).

I have smelled this in the past when they first got it in and totally hated it. But now that I have a more "mature" nose (after 6 months), I smelled it again and I thought "WOW -- It's 4711 with purple notes!!!" I also immediately thought of this thread....glad to see that it was mentioned!!
    Last edited by atrac; 9th April 2008 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I really like these, and find their light nature and shortish life very useful for certain situations where I am not sure if frags are appropriate or not, or where I know I must err on the side of caution as far as sillage goes.

Ones I know and love include:

Eau de cologne imperiale (guerlain) - this is my fav - very dry and classy and natural smelling,
    Bien Etre (all natural french thing),
    Trumpers cologne.

(I put Acqua di Parma in a slightly different catagory - what do you think?)

I can't help feeling I must be missing some classics here, so please help me out.

which ones do you like (or not) and why?
    Imperiale DRY is awesome! To me the initial whiff smells like TANG the organge mix drink.
    Very different.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Apart all the great classic mentioned above, all of them genuine EDC masterworks, my choice may sound rather surprising:

Mugler Cologne

Why? In spite of the recent release year, the modern packaging, the even more modern marketing, targeted mainly at a group of younger wearers I found in this scent, beyond all appearances, a very comforting, classy and inoffensive, an almost barbershoppy example of comforting, timeless EDC

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I agree with the recs of the R&G's EdC fraggrances: they are really great.
    I also agree with Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez, this is the mroe masculine version of a EdC, but if you like cery fresh roses Adolfo D. has Agua fresca De Rosas, wich is great too.

I would recommend some that haven't been mentioned: the EdC's from the Institut Très Bien Parfums Beauté - Paris they have some "classic" inspired colognes that are very very good ( but very fleeting too):

Cologne à la Française : magnolia, grapefruit from Israel, white lemon from Sicily,mexican lime, provence lavander,morroccan rosemary, neroli, benzoin, iris.

Cologne à la Russe : sicilian lemon, calabre cedar, sicilian bergamot, mexican lime, morroccan rosemary, provence lavander, vervein, orange blossom, ambrette, benzoin, florence iris.

Cologne à l'Italienne : Sicilian white lemon, winter lemon, mexican lime, oranges, calabrian cedar, paraguayan petit grain, orange blossom, rosemary, neroli, florence iris, benzoin, paraguayan mate.

this year they released a new, stronger one:
    Très Russe: 2006 unisex
    it's a concentrated, reworked version of the cologne russe with diff notes:
    bergamot, limette, almond, vanilla, musk, iris, orange blossom, lavender, benzoin and tonka bean.

I also like: the Boucherons EdC versions of Boucheron PH, Laurence Dumont's Eau de Cologne, Penthaglion's EdC, 1835 EdC by Woods of Windsor.
    A lot of the Guerlain scents seem to be "cologne inspired" too: eau de fleurs de cédrat, eau du coq, eau imperiale (wich was mentioned here) and eau de guerlain.

There is also one really great and unique smelling EdC from Chile called Agua de Colonia H.Barzelatto, wich is sold in 100 and 500ml bottles, as far as i know, it's only sold there.
    They had 5 limited editions 50ml bottles a couple of years of this scent each one inspired by a soliflore but with the typical H.Barzelatto smell: violets, orange blossom, herbs, vetiver, and roses i think.The limiteds are discontinued now but the other original one is still in production.

I love EauxDColognes!

I am the son of the curent Barzelatto that runs the company. We lack marketing in Chile and there is no awareness as to where to find the product. I feel terrible because I would hate to see the name disappear along with an amazing scent. With my father we have talked about importing the product into the United States but we dont know where to start. If you have interest in pursuing this with us, or would now how to help us, please let me know. Also if you would like any bottle of the Agua de colonia, please let me know too.
    Thank you
    -Jorge Barzelatto

I have a very old bottle of Dior Eau Sauvage in my collection that says Eau de Cologne which I imagine preceded the EDT which for me embodies the classic cologne types.

Gucci Nobile. Despite its Fougere.

Dependent

Yikes! Thought this was a new thread. This started the day after I joined Basenotes and I had my newly aquired bottle Dior's Eau Sauvage. Still a favorite.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 21st November 2011 at 10:56 PM.

I really love this style of fragrance. My favourites so far are:

Santa Maria Novella Classica
    Villoresi Acqua di Colonia
    Guerlain Imperiale
    PdN Cologne Sologne

I also like Acqua di Parma, but, like Mr Duckfinder, don't class it in quite the same category. The same applies to La Via del Profumo's Morning Blossom.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion