Code of Conduct

Default Polo Modern Reserve - current thoughts?

Haven't seen a thread on this one in recent history, and I'm trying not to retread well-trodden terrain.

I remember when Polo Modern Reserve came out reading wildly divergent opinions: wild praise for this new, lighter-yet-faithful take on a classic OR utter disappointment at the failure to do anything new while reducing the intensity of a rich, robust scent. These opposite views came from people whose noses I respect, and I get that tastes differ, but I wonder if some of the intensity of opinions was the result of immediate response to something new. Well, now that the flurry of opinion and judgment has long since died down as the scent has been on the market for a while, I'm looking to gauge current opinion of the scent.
    Now that the intense opinions that surround new scents have died down, what do the excellent noses of BN think of Modern Reserve? Would it warrant a place in a small wardrobe?

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 21st April 2010 at 03:20 PM.

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Default Re: Polo Modern Reserve - current thoughts?

Okay, well, the reviews in the directory are overwhelmingly positive, which is promising. Still, I would love to read some thoughts from those who haven't reviewed it and/or those who have worn it for a year or more now...

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

I found the MR to be more smoky and a bit more gentle with the top notes. Excellent stuff I would wear it but I can't due to associations in my mind of going to high school when everyone was drenched in Polo. You surely need to give it a try.

I own it and it's a lot more gentle with the top notes and not so much overwhelming pine. It feels more refined and I really like it. It lasts a long time and this stuff PROJECTS. I have to say it projects better than Le Male and it definitely needs no more than two sprays.
    I prefer it to the original Polo which feels slightly dated.

I'm going to start doing some Youtube reviews along with a cool twist and Modern Reserve is going to be one of my early ones.
    Last edited by MrFragranceReview; 21st April 2010 at 05:51 PM.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

As popular (read common/over-drenched) as Polo was in its days, i still have fond recollections and associations re Polo and still enjoy the old warhorse. PMR is a genius revamp of the classic, and will certainly attain its own status as a classic in time to come, maybe not due to its popularity now, but to the fact that it is a great frag.

I think the "hue and cry" (as was the case in, say, Fahrenheit Absolute) has died down because there isn't much to say now that has not been said before . "We" are just enjoying the experience after all the words. The top notes have been "modernised", with most of what made Old Polo, well, Polo, now "freshened". The longevity is phenomenal for a modern frag, with the smoky muskiness there to be enjoyed for a good while.

Beautiful frag, is PMR. A good son of Old Polo
    Last edited by perfaddict; 21st April 2010 at 06:26 PM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Thanks for these replies, and I did find the discussion from mid-February after the fact (actually didn't find it until it was in the "Similar Threads" box at the bottom of this page - hah - and see that consensus still seems very favorable with only a select few not favoring it (albeit some really good noses who don't like it).
    I'm not opposed to Polo's patchouli or tobacco, but I don't mind the idea of something a bit lighter, either, provided the green-conifer-suede thing is still there (in fact, a reduction in the big, loud leather of Polo would be welcome...it's the one thing I find hard to deal with in the original). I am considering a blind buy, figuring at worst it'll be a nice sale/swap/giveaway. I know I could sample, but it's been a while since a nice blind buy for me, and this one seems safe for a fan of greens, conifers, etc.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

I mentioned it in my review, it is very similar to the now defunct Polo Crest. So all of you regretting the fact this one is part of the past, you might as well get Modern Reserve and get a very truthful version of what Polo Crest was like.

It is in wishlist.

This is a fantastic designer scent.....I like this better than the original Polo.....Just better all around scent for me!!!
    Gary

Basenotes Institution

Liked it when it came out. Still like it.

This of course does NOT mean you will like it TBoner. So don't blind buy it. Sample it!

Sur la Plage

Thumbs down Re: Polo Modern Reserve - current thoughts?

I did not like it when it first came out, and I still don't like it - it is a major disappointment to me. I find it to be "Polo without balls".

I am not surprised to see it discounted - I saw an 8 oz bottle of it at an outlet mall recently for $30. I personally would not waste any amount of money on it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like it. It is fresher than the original. The tobacco was replaced by a delightful vetiver which IMO accounts for the freshness.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

This doesn't seem to be on Ralph's website anymore. Are they discontinuing it?

I like PMR as well as the original. The original was my first "expensive" fragrance. The only issue I have is that I associate the original with my childhood (not a bad thing, but not something I'm eager to revisit), and although PMR is different, it still smells 70-80% similar to the original Polo...

I guess I need to test it more...

I wonder if petruccijc can purchase that bottle for me and ship it, I can pay shipping costs
    this fragrance has been on my want list for not too long, but I don't want to be hasty, this thread is not helping
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    This of course does NOT mean you will like it TBoner. So don't blind buy it. Sample it!
    Bah! Common sense rears its ugly head again!

Okay, I will sample it. I do appreciate the feedback from everyone in this thread. Sounds as though first impressions were lasting ones with this scent. Looking forward to trying it.

Best,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 22nd April 2010 at 10:41 AM.

My Wardrobe:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

I definitely agree with the sample before buying it mantra even at $30/bottle at a discounter.

My impression of Modern Reserve has gotten better over time. I think I wrote at the time I liked Modern Reserve's toning down of some of the louder elements of Original Polo. I can say I hadn't worn Polo for well over a couple of years prior to Modern Reserve being released. In the last year I've worn Modern Reserve five or six times if I recall. That pretty much speaks to my admiration for it.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

For me..it isn't poignant enough...It's similar to it's preceded accomplice, though...I just rather a more raucous-like fragrance emitting around me!!

Cheers!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Is this now discontinued, can anybody clarify?

This is a fantastic fragrance.....More user friendly than the original Polo.....MR is smooth and gentle compared to His older Borther.....I do like this and feel that it is very well made.....Longevity and sillage are excellent!!!
    Gary

Personally never cared for this.

It's still available and IMHO much better than the original Polo. The original Polo was too harsh and unforgiving. This one is more mellow and nice.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It reminds me of a new suede coat more than anything. It also lasts forever. Worth looking into if you find the original is just too "much".
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    It's still available and IMHO much better than the original Polo. The original Polo was too harsh and unforgiving. This one is more mellow and nice.
    I completely agree, even as a big fan of the original. I know it can still be found relatively easily, but is it still actually in production does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I did not like it when it first came out, and I still don't like it - it is a major disappointment to me. I find it to be "Polo without balls".

I am not surprised to see it discounted - I saw an 8 oz bottle of it at an outlet mall recently for $30. I personally would not waste any amount of money on it.
    Was this that leather boxed special edition by any chance?! My heart will be broken if so....!

It will probably be hard to believe for some of you (I'm still getting over the shock), but this 'modern' take on the 1978 masterpiece, is actually a vast improvement on the original.
    That such a classy, sophisticated, masculine, quality fragrance can be released in 2008 had me literally taken by surprise!
    Longevity and projection are off the charts (always a sign of a quality fragrance) and just like it's older brother, this will become one, if not the only powerhouse mens fragrance release of the decade.
    Bravo Ralph Lauren...

It's a good throwback to the original. I wish they would have kept the pine and sweetness of the original, but overall it's pretty good if you like Polo.

Much easier to wear, dry and green, smells nice and clean. Reliable blind buy, if that kind of thing exists. So I think it will make a good 'entry masculine cologne' for beginners. Even that big bottle teach novices to sample before buy.

I like this one too. I think it's a pretty safe blind buy. I've been wearing Tom Ford Italian Cypress lately, and it reminds me of Modern Reserve. Except for the price.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

It was a blind buy, mainly based on the reviews. After 2 weeks I sold it to my friend who loves it, last week I ordered for him the second bottle. It might be a great scent, just not for everybody.

So is it discontinued or not?
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Basenotes Member

I don't believe its discontinued, I saw it Sephora recently and they said it was a good seller. I tried it and loved it. Toned down version of the original and different by being less piney. It's on my short list to buy. I'm not the best judge of fragrances, I don't really smell too many I don't like though so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Try a tester if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    So is it discontinued or not?
    I don't think so: on the box of the new bottle there was a new imprint for the 80th anniversary of something, which wasn't there on the previous box.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I don't think so: on the box of the new bottle there was a new imprint for the 80th anniversary of something, which wasn't there on the previous box.
    Are you sure that wasn't 30th anniversary? Because Modern Reserve was produced for the 30th anniversary of the original as far as I know, in 2008. Some boxes I've seen had this printed on, others didn't.