Code of Conduct

Question Purple Label vs. Bleecker Street

Hello Friends!

I need some advice from some of you that may have encountered both of these fragrances. I know they're almost identical, but I'm looking for comparative input about longevity, progression and overall quality. Thanks so much for your help.

Julio
    Please visit my videos! NY Fragrance Blog:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NYFragranceBlog

Default Re: Purple Label vs. Bleecker Street

Bleecker Street has ample amount of longevity, whereas Purple Label - and I love it to death - quickly goes so close to the skin that you'll think about reapplying. Bleecker, doesn't smell as similar to Purple Label as people say, it meanders through the notes in a totally different manner than Purple Label - to me.

Mind you, my nose is about as amateurish as you can get though, to be honest.

But I did find them similar enough to not buy both. Went (and stuck with) Purple Label.

I would agree with Gerbick. The main difference is Bleecker has a bit of caramel, I believe, running through it, whereas Purple Label has blackberry, making it a bit fresher (with a little bit more in the way of green notes, too).
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

I can't offer anything about Purple Label, since I only smelled it briefly on a card, but I do really like Bleecker Street. TheBark, you're certainly not alone in your assertion of caramel or other sweet notes in BS, but I just have never gotten anything even remotely sweet at any point from BS, it's all sharp violets on me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I have no experience with Bleeker Street, but I did own a bottle of Purple Label. Like has been previously stated, it's great but so short-lived it's ridiculous. I would apply it after my shower in the morning and then feel like I needed to re-apply by the time I was ready to leave the house an hour later. I got to the point where the only time I'd use it was if I was going to meet somebody for coffee or something where I was only going to be in public for a couple of hours. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely, lovely fragrance. If they released an extrait I'd definitely get it, but I don't see that happening.

I've never had a problem with Purple Label's longevity, but I should note I don't seem to have that problem with fragrances in general. It has been a scent in which I do get compliments (once at a restaurant, a waitress stopping by stopped and said she hoped I didn't mind, but that she just had to say something about it). I find Purple Label to share some of the same qualities as Romance Silver as they both have a green-leafy accord, a "fruit" (Blackberry in PL vs Grapes in RS), and tobacco... But PL rounds it out with mahogany and suede.

I own Bleeker and Love IT

TheBark, could you break down the differences between PL and Romance Silver even more, perhaps? Do you like them both? Do you find PL to be more elegant/formal than the more playful RS (I've read that some others do).

Supposedly RS has suede in the base too, and I do smell something kind of suede-like alongside that wonderful grapey musk. I'd love it if PL was similar to RS but a bit more formal, elegant, and better for day way. I'm hoping that the sage and thyme in the heart make it more noticeably herbal/aromatic than the silky smooth heart of RS.

Any who can compare Silver to Bleecker Street, well, I'd really appreciate that, too. I am woefully ignorant of the Bond line.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I just sprayed both. Romance starts off sweeter, the grape pretty noticeable. Purple Label is a bit more dense - it's green, and with a bit of spice, but the blackberry doesn't smell as sweet. It's there, but to my nose, it doesn't stand out as much as the grape in RS. As they progress, PL stays fairly green in the mid notes, I believe there's thyme and sage there, mixed in with the tobacco note - which is the flower, which gives it a more softer, elegant feel than say the masculine vibe one gets from the dried leaves. As it gets into the base notes, it definitely leans "warmer" with woods and musk. RS, however, seems to stay "lighter" throughout its progressions. It never becomes as heavy/warm as PL, though I do think it's a bit spicier in the heart and base notes. I think the mate in it keeps it lighter, having a similar vibe to say Mat Male.

I would say that overall, PL is definitely more "herbal", as those green notes tend to dominate the middle of it - at least to my nose. Knowing that it's meant to represent Ralph Lauren's higher end (Purple) Label, obviously its namesake, I would think its intention is to be a more formal scent - and I do get that whereas Romance Silver stays a bit brighter (really, when I think of formal scents, I can't think of too many citrusy or otherwise, as formal always seems to constitute "stuffy" to me, which leans toward headier/warmer vibe). As such, I would say RS is probably the more casual of the two scents. This, I think, really becomes evident well into the drydown.

I did also put some Bleecker Street on earlier before I showered. It does come on very violet-heavy at first, and I noticed that when I said caramel earlier, a better image is "carmalization". It's like there's sweet notes there, perhaps caramel, but they smell burnt, like if you were to take brown sugar and reduce it in a pan to the point where it starts bubbling, you get a sweet, yet dark, somewhat burnt smell out of it. That's what I get when I smell Bleecker St.

I never put it together, but I get that "caramel" scent in Bleecker Street now. I just put it as a sweeter fruit note than the one in Purple Label - which seemed to sorta be drier, more crisp.

I can totally get it. Thanks TheBark.

Purple Label and Romance Silver have a similar pedigree in terms of makeup, but the ingredients and start are totally different for me between each. And I have no problem with longevity with Romance.

I have all 3 and Love all 3.....Bleecker Street is the best in the longevity category.....Purple Label and Romance Silver are similar.....both are fantastic on my skin.....My Wife loves all of 3.....Romance Silver is better in the longevity category than Purple Label.....Price could really help You make up Your mind also.....Bleecker Street is the most expensive.....Next is PL.....Then comes Romance Silver.....I'm going by Dept. Store prices.....Great thread!!!
    Gary

Just want to give a huge thanks to TheBark (and Gary ) for the comprehensive comparison. You've pushed me over the edge. I'm going to track down some Purple Label!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 24th April 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I just wanted to add that I get only a tiny amount of sweetness from Bleecker Street, deep in the base. It's mostly green and spicy with a very strong violet presence. Caramel? Not on me. I'm not familiar with the others mentioned here.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Bleecker Street is "thicker". I wouldn't say Purple Label is "thinner". I guess "smoother" is more appropriate. Of course, IMO.

Interestingly enough, I found some reference to an actual caramel note in Bleecker Street. Perhaps I read this somewhere when it first came out and always made the association to the note because I read it first. http://www.harveynichols.com/output/page417.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Interestingly enough, I found some reference to an actual caramel note in Bleecker Street. Perhaps I read this somewhere when it first came out and always made the association to the note because I read it first. http://www.harveynichols.com/output/page417.asp
    It's amazing. Really, this is about as far from a gourmand as I can possibly think of. Could this be skin chemistry at work? Or is my sniffer broken?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Thanks again to TheBark. I've finally sampled Purple Label and I LOVE it. Absolutely fantastic. I love the subdued sillage and restrained quality in the scent almost as much as I love the progression from a lovely blackberry to that wonderful herbal heavy middle and an awesome woody, tobacco and oakmossy drydown. Longevity seems good although the scent is soft and very easy to lose track of. The drydown is fantastic and calls to mind my favorite stage of Amouage Jubilation XXV, and yet PL is far easier to wear and doesn't have the ridiculous longevity, which in my opinion is a good thing!

Granted this is after only one wearing, but I can see this quickly moving into my top 10.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Boy I wish Purple Label lasted longer on me. POOF...and it's gone, but the same with Bleecker on me, too. The stronger, longer lasting comparison is, as DustB said, RL Romance Silver, but it's really not nearly as good as PL or Bleecker.