Code of Conduct

Default Scents based off of ancient recipes or descriptions....

i read about a dozen or so of these awhile back, and remembered two varieties in particular; one was several scents based off of roman or greek olive oil scents or something, there were at least five. another was a female perfumer who had made a couple based on something she had read.

anyway, im opening the floor to all such scents, with the request that female or unisex scents be noted as such, so as to avoid confusion.

Default Re: Scents based off of ancient recipes or descriptions....

Sillage de la Reine, by Francis Kurkdjian for the Chateau de Versailles. Sold/exhibited as the perfume of Marie Antoinette, or rather, a perfume she could have worn. It's not an exact recreation of a single perfume, but largely based on a recipe among those recently found from the court perfumer. Laudably, it uses only natural ingredients and 18thc perfumery methods.

Do you mean what gender it would be most suitable for originally or today? I believe florals were unisex in the 18thc but to mainstream contemporary tastes it would likely be seen as a feminine.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Default Re: Scents based off of ancient recipes or descriptions....

Here is a company which claims to recreate those ancient recipes. I don't know how much I believe that, but I did buy Ankh and I enjoy it.
    Scents of Time
    http://www.scentsoftime.co.uk/scents-of-time-home.asp
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas