Code of Conduct

Default Sephora vs Fragrancenet

Hi
    Am new here, however I have been reading a couple of post to get a "feel" of the forum and its offerings,.......... all has been positive thus far.

I am having a problem, which I am finding hard to reconcile. I want to find a Site where I can shop with confidence and have no doubt about the authenticity of the fragrances offered. I have now settled on Sephora and Fragrancenet, but am more than puzzled on the variance in prices. Can some kind person shed some light on this? Also am i correct in assuming that Fragrancenet is above board even though their prices are so much lower? your comments are all appreciated.

Default Re: Sephora vs Fragrancenet

Welcome. I have bought from fragrancenet many times without any issues.

Sephora has "goodies" that you can claim albeit these are questionable. (as I'm not into cosmetics other than scent, useless to me.) But you do pay for the "privelege". (if you are in to sampling all sorts of cosmetics Sephora's little promo membership might be well worth it.)

Fragrancenet has always had good service and no problems, and their prices are pretty good.

I think it boils down to Sephora has its niche (perceived value, prices higher but you get "perks") and Fragrancenet has its (discount prices). Service seems to be equal on each.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

They have different business models.

Sephora is a chain of retail stores, so the prices are going to be higher. Retail customers get instant gratification and the ability to browse and sample. Plus, they have fewer alternatives and a harder time comparing prices. A variety of problems are created when the online arm of a business undercuts the retail arm's prices, so any retail vs. online price differences have to be obscured through promotional programs and other forms of discount that aren't directly visible as sticker price differences.

I don't think FragranceNet has a retail presence, so given that they have a similar inventory of fragrances, their pricing can be lower. (Also, note that FragranceNet has an ongoing 15% off program for BN members - use the code BASENOTES.)

Both are perfectly legitimate vendors with good reputations.
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 22nd April 2010 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olfactory12 View Post
    Hi
    Am new here, however I have been reading a couple of post to get a "feel" of the forum and its offerings,.......... all has been positive thus far.

I am having a problem, which I am finding hard to reconcile. I want to find a Site where I can shop with confidence and have no doubt about the authenticity of the fragrances offered. I have now settled on Sephora and Fragrancenet, but am more than puzzled on the variance in prices. Can some kind person shed some light on this? Also am i correct in assuming that Fragrancenet is above board even though their prices are so much lower? your comments are all appreciated.
    scentiments.com is another you can trust and usually is the cheapest with free shipping of any of them.

I can also vouch for scentiments.com.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

fragrancenet is not that great in my experiences. Find another etailer. Scentiments..strawberrynet, fragrance x, beauty encounter, ect...

I've had good luck with FragranceX

Sephora is a great place to visit and beg for samples. The online retailers are great places to actually buy perfumes, if you can handle the delayed gratification of waiting for them to ship!

Basenotes Institution

I prefer online shopping and to me the variety and price - at fragrancenet,beautyencounter, reirien , etc beat Sephora ( online or in an brick and mortar Sephora shop )
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 22nd April 2010 at 10:18 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Little hole-in-the-wall perfume shops are pretty good, too, if you live somewhere where they exist. The pricing is similar to online, and they're generous with samples and recommendations because they REALLY want you to come back! One of the fume shops in my neighborhood had a lone mini EDT of L'Heure Bleue tucked away among their Idylles and Insolences and Shalimars, and it was marked down to $10 because it hadn't sold ...

Fragrancenet.com is an online discount retailer.

Sephora.com is an actual brick and mortar beauty retailer with thousands of locations.

The differences? You save more at Fragrancenet but when you buy from Sephora (either online or in the store) you have the option of taking advantage of their very liberal return policy. I can't tell you the number of times I've returned a fragrance or giftset to Sephora without a receipt. You can return your purchase any time, to any location, without proof of purchase. Because of this courtesy they extend to their consumers I'm happy to support them as a retailer. You pay a little extra for peace of mind.

the 2 are good but probably better price at fragrancenet, don't worry the stuff is legit and fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by _FP_ View Post
    the 2 are good but probably better price at fragrancenet, don't worry the stuff is legit and fresh.
    Thanks you for the affirmation of both stores. I will be testing it shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    They have different business models.

I don't think FragranceNet has a retail presence, so given that they have a similar inventory of fragrances, their pricing can be lower. (Also, note that FragranceNet has an ongoing 15% off program for BN members - use the code BASENOTES.)

Both are perfectly legitimate vendors with good reputations.
    Thanks!!! i was unaware of a BASENOTES discount.

I appreciate all the replies, my mind is more at ease and I have now committed to a purchase