Code of Conduct
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Cool Looking for more ideas on staying stylish in 90 deg heat & high humidity...

I notice many guys in my locality opt for the T-shirt & jeans/bermudas or polo-T/khakis combo. But honestly, how many variations of such combos can you possibly wear in a week without wearing out the look? I often layer with thinner fabric sport shirts, longsleeve cottons, vests etc. and have considered wearing patterned/colored ties or scarves as a point of contrast.. But in this heat & humidity, layering can get pretty suffocating. I have a few 'hats' to vary the look but the only other accessories I would allow on myself are a watch, shades and maybe a couple of rings. Any other ideas for a guy in his 30s to stay stylish but comfortably cool in the tropics? A good variation in mens style that stretch over a week without repeating itself if possible.

And, please...no bright Hawaiian shirts.

Default Re: Looking for more ideas on staying stylish in 90 deg heat & high humidity...

Big fan of the V-neck T-shirt, whether under a sport shirt, under a button-down with the sleeves rolled up, or all by itself. Properly fitted, I find I am more comfortable in the heat and humidity with one on--even under another shirt--than without.

I tend to buy mine in black or white, nice cotton with maybe a bit of Lycra, and a conservative break in front but it certainly helps creates a different line around the neck.

Women have far more options than us blokes in the heat...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Re: Looking for more ideas on staying stylish in 90 deg heat & high humidity...

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Properly fitted, I find I am more comfortable in the heat and humidity with one on--even under another shirt--than without.
    I agree. I have a few of these myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Women have far more options than us blokes in the heat...
    Indeed.

Wear a collared shirt/tailored shirt.

I would try something in a silk blend; try a silk/linen blend. Silk is cool and helps wick body sweat away. (The t-shirt may not work for all occasions.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Miyake shirts might be good - the cotton is excellent and there are always some low key but cool patterns (or plain off white etc) that seem to hit that balance between casual and dressed. The double cotton shirts are excellent.

PS Is MUJI there? Understated, nice fabric, very reasonable pricing.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 24th May 2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: PS

I just thought of something in seersucker. An idea summer fabric.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DF, you MUST look to picking up shirts made of linen. I survive thanks to them in the heat and humidity of my city's summers. The wind blows through them easily, and best of all my perspiration evaporates quickest from them. Unlike cotton, which holds onto moisture and will stick to your skin, linen won't stick and carries very little lint in its strands so it is quick to give up moisture that the fluffiness of the linty cotton strands holds onto.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    DF, you MUST look to picking up shirts made of linen. I survive thanks to them in the heat and humidity of my city's summers. The wind blows through them easily, and best of all my perspiration evaporates quickest from them. Unlike cotton, which holds onto moisture and will stick to your skin, linen won't stick and carries very little lint in its strands so it is quick to give up moisture that the fluffiness of the linty cotton strands holds onto.
    Do you find it difficult to stay unwrinkled in linen?
    Last edited by socalwoman; 20th June 2010 at 12:38 AM.
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Do you find it difficult to stay unwrinkled in linen?
    Hey there SocalW! No I don't, because I think it just comes with the territory. If the shirt is pressed/ironed then the wrinkles that come with wearing it look good in my estimation. Part of living, since we're not plastic and the shirt isn't. For casual wear I don't iron my linen shirts so they end up looking soft and casual, exactly what I like.

I find that in heat cotton shirts also gain a lot of wrinkles and perspiration dampness so I don't find that the problem is a greater pain with linen. If I'm simply not noticing the degree of wrinkles that might just be me, but I'm happy to trade that inconvenience for the advantages.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Different proportions, maybe an oversized shirt over shorter shorts. Or colorblock shirts ala Jil Sander.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Hey Diamond Flame I live in 85+ heat for most part of the year, I tend to wear shorts, linen shorts with linen long sleeve shirts, and long sleeve cotton shirts.

I also wear v-necks on some days. I wore all of the following while I was in Las Vegas last week, and was very comfortable.