Code of Conduct

Default Please help 21 year old female find a sig scent for everyday!

Hey... I'm 21 and I've never really had a fragrance that I think is me. I've only owned a handful of scents in my lifetime too: Jlo Glow, Anais Anais, BS Fantasy, Lacoste Touch of Pink. All young girl scents...!

Everyone at school wears either a celeb fragrance or Angel/Daisy/DKNY. I want something more unique that is distinguishable... yet classy and feminine.

I do walk past fragrance counters near enough every day but I don't really have it in me to ask a store assistant who might read me differently.

Over the last couple years I've liked Chanel au Fraise, Rock n Rose, Narcisso for her, Ange ou Demon.

So ultimately, could you please suggest something new for me, my criteria is:
    - Something I could wear to school everyday,
    - Something that says has a silage of young femininity,
    - Something quite fresh/clean,
    - Musc like undertones (I'm quite nostalgic to my mum and nan wearing Opium throughout my childhood)

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Last edited by bex; 21st April 2010 at 05:25 PM.

Default Re: Please help 21 year old female find a sig scent for everyday!

Just the first thing taht came to mind - Sarah Jessica Parker, Lovely. It's a combo of florals and musk
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

You might try Bvlgari Au the Vert and/or Au the Blanc. Both project classy, understated femininity, without smelling in any way formal or otherwise not fun.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I think the Bulgaris are a great suggestion -- their Omnia line might work, too.

I quite like Cabotine: on me it's fresh, green/ginger, and lovely. Some people get a 'swampy" note from it, though, so you'd need to sample first.

Finally, the bottle is hideous, but Moschino I Love Love is a very young but not teeny-bopper/candy scent that opens with a fizzy effervescent grapefuit-lime accord -- not harsh or acidic, think Italian soda pop -- and settles down to a very nice clean long-lasting musk (at least on me).
    Last edited by Thalia; 21st April 2010 at 06:37 PM.

And hey -- how about the Guerlain Aqua Allegoricas? The new Flora Nymphea is a light floral with a musk base. You can get samples at any Sephora, I think.

Creed Silver Mountain Water is so sophisticated and sexy on a woman. You'd definitely smell unique. It's unisex but veers more into the feminine side of things, IMHO.
    Last edited by adonis; 22nd April 2010 at 03:29 AM.

Angel (one of the best)
    Betsey Johnson
    Chanel Chance
    Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
    Calvin Klein Euphoria
    Guerlain Shalimar

skip the Dolce Gabbana Light Blue as it's VERY average and every girl I know wears it.

****also, try the Dior counter. you might find something you like. good luck!!
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 22nd April 2010 at 04:05 AM.

double post - sorry

please delete
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 22nd April 2010 at 04:04 AM.

Hi,
    You could try:Miss Dior Cherie by Dior,Mademoiselle By Chanel and Carolina by Carolina Herrera.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I second "Chanel Chance".

Have you tried Fracas?
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I like the idea and image it creates behind Habanita... then, it is reasonably priced and best (for the trick that Habanita does, if it works for you) at EDT concentration.

Blog Entries

+1 on Miss Dior Cherie, Chanel Chance, and the Bvlgari Omnias (especially Crystalline).

I also love Abercrombie & Fitch 8 on my wife. Youthful and Feminine.

Sur la Plage

Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Maybe you'd like Le parfum de Therese by Frederic Malle. Also give Pure Poison and Light blue by Dolce & Gabbana a try.

Another rec here for Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker.

I also think that Chance by Chanel and Flowerbomb by Victor and Rolf could work - they're girly and musky-sweet but grown up smelling.

Another one of my all-time favs on a woman is Ralph by Ralph Lauren - you might like that too, if you can accept that a lot of other girls wear it and that it's not very womanly (not much musk here either). It's fresh though, and very flirty and light.

If you want something feminine, with a good dose of musk, give Kiehl's Original Musk a try. The bottle is gorgeous, and the smell is captivating too. It smells like sex, but simultaneously clean and floral.

Here are some other recs that might be hard to find, and a little more expensive, but no one else will smell like you:

Lumiere Noire pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian (bad-ass strawberry tinged rose and patchouli)
    Black Orchid by Tom Ford (A bombastic and dark sultry fragrance)
    Eau des Merveilles by Hermes (Smells like the beach, but clean and musky)
    Love by Kilian (The best marshmallow-flavored musk I've ever smelled)

Have fun sampling and don't forget to report back with the hits and misses.
    Sales thread here

Hi there, welcome to Basenotes! We are glad to hear from you.
    A nice and cheery unisex scent, with light musk and also a refreshing green tone, is Mugler Cologne. I like it a lot, it has good sillage and longevity.
    Best wishes to you!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

double post, deleted.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 5th May 2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: double post
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Issey Miyake A Scent. It's green, it's a _little_ different, but it's a very modern kind of different.

There's also Estee Lauder Jasmine White Moss, for a less modern, more classic kind of different.

And, yes, these don't fulfill all of the criteria - no prominent musk, for example. I'm recommending them largely because they're greens available at department stores, and I approve of that trend. But I think that A Scent, in particular, qualifies as a little different but not aggressively different. (I'm using that word a lot, aren't I?)

Leaving the department store, I suggest Serge Lutens Un Lys. A falling-down-beautiful floral, and this one even has musk.
    Last edited by ChickenFreak; 5th May 2010 at 12:36 AM.

depends on your price range, chanel, thierry mugler, dior makes nice ones, but if you got the cash to burn..............Creed all the way

DeepSilence

Madame Rochas, Organza, Opium(f), Kenzo flower, Ck Euphoria, Lancome Attraction. these are classy, I think So.
    However i saw young girls like to wear Versace productions in my country. Try Versace Crystal Noir, or Bright Crystal.

Have you tried D&G Light blue for women? I love it...
    The mens D&G light blue is too strong

Banned
    Blog Entries

Why not wear Cool Water, the original? Affordable and effective. Skip the one for women.

Basenotes Plus

Bulgari pour Femme if you like it subtle, classic yet feminine.
    Also check out Sonoma Scent Studio's Femme Jolie.

Better yet, get some floral musk sample packs from places like Lucky Scent or theperfumedcourt, etc. and let your nose be the judge.

You're 21? You're grown up. Go for the L'Artisan line, sample everything, and find one you like. They are so distinctive, you won't smell like any of your peers, and you will be completely contemporary. I'm absolutely going to give a thumbs down on Fracas, it's way too old fashioned and way to much worn by ladies of a certain age.

If you want to be unique, don't go the modern designer frags where everybody is using. Go for the classics!

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop
    Diorella by Christian Dior
    Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle

Check out Hypnose by Lancome. I've bought another bottle recently as I really liked it. I think you can wear it for any occasions, day or night. Well at least I feel comfortable wearing it wherever, whether on a job or to the club, I feel great in it wherever I go.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to basenotes bex! You've already gotten some good suggestions but I'd like to add a few more. One I didn't see mentioned is Chance eau Tendre, a very nice soft, clean, floral. Another is Petite Cherie by Annick Goutal, also very pretty. There's also Flower or Kenzo Amour both by Kenzo, both really nice. There's also Nina by Nina Ricci, Insolence by Guerlain and 24 Fauborg or Kelly Caleche by Hermes. Burberry London by Burberry is a nice young scent also. Hope you find what you are looking for!

I would second (and third) Chanel Chance and Bulgari Omnia Crystalline. I would also add these:

Yves Saint Laurent - Paris (it's an older one but a lovely rose/violet fragrance)
    Bulgari Jasmin Noir (if you like jasmine)
    Lolita Lempicka Fleur Defendue (a very clean white floral)

And again, for a cleaner musk that none of your friends will be wearing, Serge Lutens Clair du Musc. Really clean and lovely. It's the only "clean" scent that I personally wear.

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Cool Re: Please help 21 year old female find a sig scent for everyday!

There have been some really excellent suggestions already.

I noticed you tend towards florals. I thought Betsey Johnson was a good suggestion.

For something a little different, you might try L'Artisan's La Chasse aux Papillons.

For more information on the process of finding your signature, I have just published a hub on how I go about purchasing new fragrances:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Finding-Your-Fragrance
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay