Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: "Things bogans like" - Celebrity perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I have always felt the term "White Trash" refers mainly to behavior/image, and not necessarily to economic status. One can be white and poor, and even live in a trailerpark (I have actually visited quite a few beautifully maintained trailerparks!), and not be "trashy".
    Likewise, I'm getting the feeling the term "bogan" also means of a certain "trashy" disposition.
    Consequently, I don't think conveying a displeasure with "trashy" behavior is equivalent to hatred of poor people or is evidence of social elitism.
    True, my brother works in Wal-Mart, and I saw a family, that I would clearly classify as white trash, later I found out they were quite wealthy, but they portrayed themselves in the mold of white trash, so guess what they are?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    oh god yes they love that shit, i swear it smells like liquor with rubbing alcohol i do not get why people like it
    I will never forget the time I was in Walgreens and the lady at the counter suggested Tim McGraw ("we can't keep it in stock, I love it"). I was polite and bit my tongue so I wouldn't come across as arrogant, but it was sure hard. The next time I walked in and said "I see that Tim McGraw is on sale!" with a laugh. Sorry but there is no way I'd be caught dead wearing something named after a country music singer, a rap star or so-called "Hollywood" celebrity. I say so- called because 99% of them today aren't even qualified to carry the bags of the stars of yesterday (i.e the cast of Towering Inferno vs. the cast of any movie made today). No serious frag connoisseur would touch anything by these losers (hear me Puffed 'n Stuffed Daddy?).

As for the article's points, there is truth to it. I also don't think they are putting down low income people as much as they are making fun of wannabes who dream of being like Paris Hilton or Britney Spears. You can write the same article about "Tweetering" too (ain't that what a bird does, among other things?). I can see why the famous do it (usually to massage their ego), but why the everyday Joe? I get a kick out of these kids today who dream of being on the level of someone famous just by having Facebook or Twitter. Jeez 'o friggin' Pete! Sorry don't mean to offend those of you who participate in those things, as many of my friends do so. If you really get something out of it by networking with real friends and family, that's fine. I just think there is a huge number of people who do it to get noticed in this celebrity culture we're in today.

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    I will never forget the time I was in Walgreens and the lady at the counter suggested Tim McGraw ("we can't keep it in stock, I love it"). I was polite and bit my tongue so I wouldn't come across as arrogant, but it was sure hard. The next time I walked in and said "I see that Tim McGraw is on sale!" with a laugh. Sorry but there is no way I'd be caught dead wearing something named after a country music singer, a rap star or so-called "Hollywood" celebrity. I say so- called because 99% of them today aren't even qualified to carry the bags of the stars of yesterday (i.e the cast of Towering Inferno vs. the cast of any movie made today). No serious frag connoisseur would touch anything by these losers (hear me Puffed 'n Stuffed Daddy?).

As for the article's points, there is truth to it. I also don't think they are putting down low income people as much as they are making fun of wannabes who dream of being like Paris Hilton or Britney Spears. You can write the same article about "Tweetering" too (ain't that what a bird does, among other things?). I can see why the famous do it (usually to massage their ego), but why the everyday Joe? I get a kick out of these kids today who dream of being on the level of someone famous just by having Facebook or Twitter. Jeez 'o friggin' Pete! Sorry don't mean to offend those of you who participate in those things, as many of my friends do so. If you really get something out of it by networking with real friends and family, that's fine. I just think there is a huge number of people who do it to get noticed in this celebrity culture we're in today.
    thing is so many people do not get that these celebs have halfassed frags only to make more money and spend it on frags that celebs really wear.....CREED

thing is so many people do not get that these celebs have halfassed frags only to make more money and spend it on frags that celebs really wear.....CREED
    Bingo. Even Puffed Up Diddy doesn't wear his own crap. He said Creed MI was his favorite cologne! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    I will never forget the time I was in Walgreens and the lady at the counter suggested Tim McGraw ("we can't keep it in stock, I love it"). I was polite and bit my tongue so I wouldn't come across as arrogant, but it was sure hard. The next time I walked in and said "I see that Tim McGraw is on sale!" with a laugh. Sorry but there is no way I'd be caught dead wearing something named after a country music singer, a rap star or so-called "Hollywood" celebrity....
    But wait ! Are you telling me if Ric Flair....or Arn Anderson....or Tully Blanchard ( is that his name, I cannot remember) put out a fragrance, you wouldn't buy it and wear it.....just sayin'
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Speaking of new celebrity frags - can anyone tell me who this is in the new Polo commercial?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2tWVj6lXw
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

To Natch:

I like and wear some celebrity frags. I know Redneck Perfumisto owns the original McGraw and likes it. Are he and I not serious frag-connoisseurs?

The idea that just because a celebrity's name is attached instantly means the frag sucks is, quite frankly, ridiculous. The celebrity likely had little if anything to do with the scent. When you sniff, close your eyes and open your mind. At the end of the day, it's only the scent that matters.

As fragrance enthusiasts, we should try to keep an open mind.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 24th April 2010 at 06:57 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    But wait ! Are you telling me if Ric Flair....or Arn Anderson....or Tully Blanchard ( is that his name, I cannot remember) put out a fragrance, you wouldn't buy it and wear it.....just sayin'
    If it was made by Chanel, Creed, Hermes, YSL or even Armani AND had my favorite notes in it, yes. If it was made by something ridic like "WWE Fragrances" than no way. Lots of "IFs". It's funny because I can't see Arn or Tully doing their own cologne, but Flair yes. He was/is always the one promoting designer clothes and fine living (Armani suits and Gucci shoes, woo!). I can see it now. A Ric Flair cologne would be Pour Monsieur (Concentree) repackaged. Nature Garçon ;-)

BTW my compliments in knowing the original Horsemen!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    To Natch:

I like and wear some celebrity frags. I know Redneck Perfumisto owns the original McGraw and likes it. Are he and I not serious frag-connoisseurs?

The idea that just because a celebrity's name is attached instantly means the frag sucks is, quite frankly, ridiculous. The celebrity likely had little if anything to do with the scent. When you sniff, close your eyes and open your mind. At the end of the day, it's only the scent that matters.

As fragrance enthusiasts, we should try to keep an open mind.
    Point taken, but I still wouldn't tell somebody I'm wearin' Tim McGraw or something like "I Am King". BTW I'm the first to admit I do get wrapped up in names a lot of the time.

exactly Natch and he uses silver mountain water , which he knocked off for i am king

exactly Natch and he uses silver mountain water , which he knocked off for i am king
    Of course he did that so people with less money can afford Creed type scents. It had nothing to do with him making money off of Creed's work or off of the poor people he "cares" about.

While it is debatable that Unforgivable is an MI knockoff (the early phases are similar, the drydowns significantly different), there is just no way I Am King is an SMW ripoff. Have you smelled them both?

I am not a fan of Sean John's music, his attitude, or his ethics, and I don't plan on supporting him by purchasing anything bearing his name, but at the same time, I don't think it's fair for him or anyone to be falsely accused. I Am King is nothing like SMW (aside from them both being somewhat fruity).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I Am King couldn't smell any more different than Silver Mountain Water. Seriously they are NOTHING alike.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    While it is debatable that Unforgivable is an MI knockoff (the early phases are similar, the drydowns significantly different), there is just no way I Am King is an SMW ripoff. Have you smelled them both?

I am not a fan of Sean John's music, his attitude, or his ethics, and I don't plan on supporting him by purchasing anything bearing his name, but at the same time, I don't think it's fair for him or anyone to be falsely accused. I Am King is nothing like SMW (aside from them both being somewhat fruity).
    Yes I have, both of them and he did knock it off. Some can disagree with it but I am not the first one who has stated it. Sean John tried to knock it off but did poorly because he had to use synthetics.
    Last edited by DavidBond007; 25th April 2010 at 02:05 AM.

Good name for a perfume... Just sayin'

Bogan, by Calvin Klein
    Last edited by adonis; 25th April 2010 at 09:21 AM.

Yes I have, both of them and he did knock it off. Some can disagree with it but I am not the first one who has stated it. Sean John tried to knock it off but did poorly because he had to use synthetics.
    No, they are nothing alike. This isn't the case of using synthetics, Creed uses plenty of them. There just is not a single shred of of I Am King that smells even remotely similar to Silver Mountain Water. It's like comparing A*Men to Millesime Imperial. Just because they come in bottles doesn't make them similar.

Now, if you want to make the case that Xerjoff's Mefisto is a SMW ripoff.. well, now THAT has a lot of merit. The two are very very very similar.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!