Code of Conduct

Default The Baron by LTL

I can't believe I let the date pass, but 21 April 1918 marked the date of the death of Manfred von Richthofen, known to all as the Red Baron. (The French called him "le petit rouge" because he was not tall and strapping.) Who shot him down in his red triplane (the Fokker Dr. I) him remains a debate, and this is the "dogfight" that never ends.

I decided to wear a spray of this in belated memory of the young man (killed a month shy of his 26th birthday) who is responsible for the modern tactics of air fighting. Technology may change air warfare, but sometimes it's just man to man in a plane--the fighter aces of WWI were called "knights of the air," BTW. In those days, you did not aim your gunsights at your adversary--you pointed your machine guns at him aimed by your airplane.

I am fond of lavender scents--with Mouchoir de Monsieur, Arome Trois and Troisieme Homme as my mainstay scents. "The Baron" was recently discussed here, if memory serves, and I thought the date was relevant.

If one looks at the forbidding silver bottle with its red script, it clearly recalls "Red Baron" mania of the 1960s.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121576/reviews.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: The Baron by LTL

Do you the Baron was named after the creator Baron Dr. Langendorff. Dr. Langer von Langendorff was a leading pioneer in the American perfume industry and a real European Baron. His earlier triumph, "White Shoulders" perfume for women, was created in 1940 and continues to this day to be one of the most desired and successful women's fragrances in America. Evyan Perfumes, the New York-based fragrance manufacturer which Baron Langer von Langendorff founded and directed, produced and marketed many stunning fragrances. Evyan was considered to be the premier Perfume House in the industry according to may product management trade news publications at it time. The Baron was his scent he created for men which is built upon many of the basenotes of White Shoulders minus florals.

Thank you for the info, scentimus. Yes, it was another "baron" but the sales in the 1960s were riding the crest of Red Baron mania in the 1960s.

White Shoulders is a true classic for women, as well.
    Last edited by Primrose; 24th April 2010 at 02:14 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I love the Baron, Good Lavender

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    I love the Baron, Good Lavender
    +1
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.