Code of Conduct

Question Tommy too old school to wear?!

Hi! The other day I was at the mall and by going into a Tommy Hilfiger store I pass by one of the staff and he was wearing Tommy.

It was like revisiting this fragrance, I was surprise at how good it was smelling even comparing to today mainstream fragrance.

I find it simple in a good way, its fresh and fruity, charming and have a good distinctive presence.

It would do a nice summer scent and its potent too (a big plus since my skin devour fragrance usually)

Im on the fence of buying it but since it was quite popular and that its a recognizable scent, im not sure if wearing this would make a lil bit too old school like stuck in the late 90's or something like this. Usually if I like it I wear it but im just curious of others opinion on this.

Is there some of you rocking it right now or who think about it?

Default Re: Tommy too old school to wear?!

I don't know, this was the most popular scent by a pretty wide margin when I was in high school. Maybe it's different in Canada than the southern USA.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed Tommy is one of the better releases from Tommy Hilfiger. Won some awards too iirc. An excellent fragrance for the summer - I had a bottle of it in the 1990s. So what if it is recognisable? It's still miles better than many of the more contemporary summer releases. FWIW, women today are still wearing Chanel No.5, first released in the 1920s.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 22nd April 2010 at 03:35 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It's still miles better than many of the more contemporary summer releases.
    Exactly!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Well...for me...Tommy is fairly tame, infantile and self-censored. I do admire it's simplicity though, A nicely acheived emanation of herbacious condiments, sweet bergamot to follow..*And for me personally* I got a nice hint of lavander/peppermint/Tobacco notes moseying around! it's almost the epitome of the modern gentlemans range....So if you wanna play it safe...then this is a perfect fragrance. Though, for me...I'd rather stick to the akin of Chanel's omnipotent Antaeus!

Cheers and take care!!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy kinda smells like ketchup to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy is great & timeless cologne during hot weather or summer. The tangy of citrusis & spicy comfortable to wear any season for who loves freshness and cleaness cologne. The best from Tommy Hilfiger.
    Last edited by ruffin; 22nd April 2010 at 11:04 PM.

a very boring - uneventful scent for me... too much in that period where in the early 90's fragrances were trying to be in touch with nature and unobtrusive.
    the beginning of the downfall of the powerhouse and the coming birth of the aquatic scents that hug the skin.

*ugh* you all made me depressed now ..I have go call my shrink.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it would be recognized today. You should wear it!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Tommy is a great scent! (How old am I that someone is asking if it's old school?)

Diamondflame makes a good point about Chanel No.5: old doesn't mean over.

Buy some, it smells great.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Tommy is what my husband wore for many years . I think it smells fab- definitely wear it- it's sexy.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a refreshing, sexy, summer scent- I think people will be wearing it years from now. You clearly like it ("I find it simple in a good way, its fresh and fruity, charming and have a good distinctive presence") Don't let ideas about fashion eras stop you- spritz in good health!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I liked it at first but then it began to bore me (I completely missed the late 90s/early 2000s, frag-wise, so I didn't have any associations). Once I decided that I liked Higher better, when I wanted this sort of frag, it became expendable. Now I tend to enjoy some herbal frags better, especially for warm weather, so I don't even wear Higher all that often these days.

i know a couple of guys that i think could pull this off. they're both on top of fashion, but stay grounded in the sophisticated classics - think The Sartorialist.

they would be pulling it off in a really ironic "it smells good so who cares what its been associated with in the past" kind of way. its that confidence. plus if you saw someone that could be featured in The Sartorialist, Tommy would be the last thing you would think they would be wearing - but its that quirky, yet still sophisticated confidence that could pull it off.

I'm wearing it right now, and will wear it tomorrow. I don't understand why some people here seem to think it has some special historical status--its a great cologne. How old is the Chanel line? Or GIT? Or Cool Water?

I recently put Tommy into my starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan
    Tommy is a great scent! (How old am I that someone is asking if it's old school?)
    My thoughts exactly. Wasn't 1995 just a few years ago? Dammit.

I'm all for wearing iconic '90s fragrances - they're recent enough to smell somewhat current (or at least "not classic"), but enough removed from their heyday that most people either aren't familiar with them or don't remember them well. And if someone does recognize it on you, they'll think you're clever for not just wearing the latest bestselling Eau de Whatever. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbbbjm
    they would be pulling it off in a really ironic "it smells good so who cares what its been associated with in the past" kind of way. its that confidence.
    Well, it's Tommy Hilfiger we're talking about, not Fracas. A modern young man should have no problem wearing it.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 28th May 2010 at 06:21 AM.

Tommy is a good summer scent!!! I would not call this old school at all.....Too modern to be old school.....Gary

As I said above, I recently put Tommy into my top three. I'm actually having a bit of a love affair with this stuff. It's just so fresh and wonderful. I think it's time that people rediscover this fragrance. In my opinion, It's probably the best casual fragrance available today.

I get best results spraying it on my skin and putting a shirt on over top to keep it warm and projecting. Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

I consider Tommy the trademark scent for Tommy Hilfiger. It's a timeless classic IMO just the way CK One and Eternity are.
    Last edited by teflondog; 29th May 2010 at 04:43 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to wear Tommy in the summers of my high school years back in the '90s.

It was fine back then, but now I think anyone over 20 years old wearing it is kind of a stretch. Even though today's teeny-boppers have moved on, that doesn't make a high school frag any more adult. My generation is one of entitlement and high expectations, so unlike my parents' high school community that embraced lower-end stuff like Jovan Sex Appeal and Drakkar in their high school years, we expected something that smelled more complex and expensive, i.e. Tommy. What we got was, in my opinion, a product that smelled youthful but synthetic (the notes list on this fragrance are a total joke - Kentucky bluegrass in the top? come on!)

But that said, it's not a bad fragrance and I agree that some people can definitely pull it off no matter what age they are. So go with your own flow!

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    As I said above, I recently put Tommy into my top three. I'm actually having a bit of a love affair with this stuff. It's just so fresh and wonderful. I think it's time that people rediscover this fragrance. In my opinion, It's probably the best casual fragrance available today.

I get best results spraying it on my skin and putting a shirt on over top to keep it warm and projecting. Beautiful!
    You seem to have a big crush with this fragrance!

Im probably gonna try to find a small bottle for now, Cause warm weather is here and its really hot right now outside. I got some got fragrance to wear in the summer (GIT, GPHII) but I still miss something more simple and fresh(who last more thant 2 or 3 hours) to reach for a casual day spend outside with some friends in a really hot and humid day like we have right now.

I don't really like to categorize a scent as a teenager one. Cause often its only because it was popular back then and we associate it with our teenager year.

Some are really teenagers scents, but a lot are what I would call an all ages fragrance. Sometimes They are simply categorized like this just because of the association we make then I think.

It depends a lot of the way you are sporting it too.
    Last edited by _FP_; 29th May 2010 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _FP_ View Post
    You seem to have a big crush with this fragrance!

Im probably gonna try to find a small bottle for now, Cause warm weather is here and its really hot right now outside. I got some got fragrance to wear in the summer (GIT, GPHII) but I still miss something more simple and fresh(who last more thant 2 or 3 hours) to reach for a casual day spend outside with some friends in a really hot and humid day like we have right now.

I don't really like to categorize a scent as a teenager one. Cause often its only because it was popular back then and we associate it with our teenager year.

Some are really teenagers scents, but a lot are what I would call an all ages fragrance. Sometimes They are simply categorized like this just because of the association we make then I think.

It depends a lot of the way you are sporting it too.
    Absolutely. There's nothing 'teenage' about Tommy. It is a well crafted fragrance that smells great in the summer and gets compliments. People who are not on basenotes just think its a nice smelling cologne, which it is.

If you look at Tim's review on Youtube you'll see the reaction of a fragrance enthusiast who is encountering it for the first time--he loved it.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when this came out in the 90s. I hated it back then because it smelled like so many other mens and women's frags from that time, and therefore it smelled too light and wimpy to me. However, smelling it now I would probably think differently, and it would probably smell rather unique today. This thread has really inspired me to try Tommy out again, especially since it can be found at TJ Maxx for very low prices.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, is the gragrance called "Tommy Hilfiger" with the Hilfiger red/blue logo on the box the same as the original "Tommy"?

Last edited by vulcan; 29th May 2010 at 11:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, did they reformulate this? I just sampled Tommy tonight for the first time since the 90s, and it smells different from what I remember it. I remember smelling apples in Tommy years ago. I don't get any apple smell at all now, but rather a pepper and wood fougere smell, which is actually quite nice. I actually am considering getting a bottle of this.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    BTW, did they reformulate this? I just sampled Tommy tonight for the first time since the 90s, and it smells different from what I remember it. I remember smelling apples in Tommy years ago. I don't get any apple smell at all now, but rather a pepper and wood fougere smell, which is actually quite nice. I actually am considering getting a bottle of this.
    I'm not sure if it was reformulated, but the peppery/spicy dry-down is nice, and not what one would expect from a frag targeted to the younger crowd. In fact, I had it on the other day and a friend told me my cologne was too old for me (I'm 30). The notes remind me somewhat of London.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    In fact, I had it on the other day and a friend told me my cologne was too old for me (I'm 30). The notes remind me somewhat of London.
    Good to hear that. I'm 40, so it's nice to know some people don't consider it to be exculsively a scent for guys in their teens and twenties (I know, I know, you should only wear frags because you like them, no matter what others say... )