Code of Conduct

Default Cheap and easy comfort?

It's possible to spend big bucks on a cologne that fits best with a T-shirt or an old polo. Does anyone else feel like me ... that splashing on some cheap but likable aftershave is more comfortable and more conducive to a relaxed attitude while dressed down?

If I'm going to be running errands in a flannel shirt on Saturday morning, pass the Aqua Velva -- or maybe the Tabac if I'm headed to the really nice hardware store.

Default Re: Cheap and easy comfort?

Well, I definitely have 'Saturday' and 'Sunday' scents, as opposed to the general week/work day scents.

Saturday (day): Paco Rabanne PH, Tabac, Fragonard l'eau d'Hongrie, Adidas Originals, Adidas Victory League, C&E Sienna
    Saturday (night - if I'm going out): Mark Birley, maybe YSL Rive Gauche
    Sunday (day/church): Acqua di Biella, Acqua di Parma (Colonia and Intensa), Mark Birley, CdG 2 Men, CdG Avignon - these last two are a bit strong for the morning, but sometimes they "fit" in church.

Call me unconventional, but I wear Mouchoir de Monsieur or Habit Rouge on the weekends with shorts and sandals, or sweatpants!

As much as I think occasions warrant certain scents, sometimes when I am at home I wear scent just because I feel like it!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The cheapest, also very comforting btw, scent I still do have in my is Hattrick aftershave- refreshing, extremely crisp and cooling, with huge quantities of citrus

However, I do like to wear niche frags like Knize Ten while staying at home, at my place, wearing often nothing more than my pyjamas or my everyday casual clothes

Bay rum for me. St. John's or Meehan, please, and surely not Pinaud nor Master's.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Damnit.

Double post.

T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 23rd April 2010 at 06:10 PM.

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

is it the cheap smell you are after or that it was cheap to buy?

Yeah, this is when I use my designer scents like Monsieur Balmain, Artisan, Le Male Summer and Grey Flannel.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    is it the cheap smell you are after or that it was cheap to buy?
    No, I don't want to wear anything that smells "cheap," if by that you mean "bad." But I own and enjoy Old Spice, Clubman, Brut, Tabac and other old-school, inexpensive fragrances. I think they have an unpretentious quality about them, and no one will accuse you of high-class sophistication for wearing them. And they certainly don't offer the artistry or "hip" factor of something like the New Haarlem I'm wearing right now. But there's something very honest and straightforward about these "cheapos."

Interesting.
    If it's about a certain olfactory quality of the liquid, how does it being affordable come into play?
    Simple I can get, lighter I can get... but this, I don't think I understand.

What if you are wearing an escada or a similar very expensive jean and tshirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    ... As much as I think occasions warrant certain scents, sometimes when I am at home I wear scent just because I feel like it!
    Agree.

I must add the scents worn before training, the fleeting ones are the ones I choose in this occasion since nothing is more revolting than heavy sweating plus perfume - last Wednesday I had to stand Le MÔle on the trainer and some other acquatic nightmare on my practice partner.

Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    No, I don't want to wear anything that smells "cheap," if by that you mean "bad.""
    In my case, I don't related "bad" to prices, rather with the fact that certain brands as well as their blends become so popular that they end up as fragrance templates reproduced "ad nauseam". Of course, this does not mean per se that scents undergoing this process are bad. For example, I had to eat my words as per Le MÔle and Cool Water as well as Joop!, for I cannot deny their originality. But some blends are so bland that in these cases this popularity does get my attention.

But I own and enjoy Old Spice, Clubman, Brut, Tabac and other old-school, inexpensive fragrances. I think they have an unpretentious quality about them...
    So true, but...

and no one will accuse you of high-class sophistication for wearing them... But there's something very honest and straightforward about these "cheapos."
    As for my questions regarding Pinaud's Clubman in BN regarding its user's demographics, many mentioned that it is popular among old moneyed gentlemen. So we might as well face the paradox that the cheaper of them all is popular among the rich. It would seem social and cultural selfassurance does not demand pricey consumption goods...
    Last edited by Pollux; 23rd April 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Agree.

I must add the scents worn before training, the fleeting ones are the ones I choose in this occasion since nothing is more revolting than heavy sweating plus perfume - last Wednesday I had to stand Le MÔle on the trainer and some other acquatic nightmare on my practice partner.
    Absolutely! I detested a scent on an indoor-soccer-team friend because it was WAY too loud and with the sweating was utterly nauseating.

As for my questions regarding Pinaud's Clubman in BN regarding its user's demographics, many mentioned that it is popular among old moneyed gentlemen. So we might as well face the paradox that the cheaper of them all is popular among the rich. It would seem social and cultural selfassurance does not demand pricey consumption goods...
    I think it's more of a case of a) tradition and b) these fellows didn't get where they are today by spending on things like expensive scents yesterday.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Azzaro Pour Homme is cheap and easy in the best sense. Simplicity at its finest.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Cool Re: Cheap and easy comfort?

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Bay rum for me. St. John's or Meehan, please, and surely not Pinaud nor Master's.

Regards,
    T
    +1
    I also agree with justaguy about Azarro or rather Azzaro--sorry, I always misspell it.

Other great cheap ones are
    Yves Rocher's Homme Nature
    though you won't find it in a drugstore, and the (relatively) inexpensive The Baron by LTL and the half-insane Quasar by J. del Pozo

Check out the reviews.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I know plenty of very wealthy Gentlemen here in NY that wear Clubman and Azzaro PH

Azzaro pH
    YSL Jazz