Code of Conduct

Default Ladies, I need your help to stock up my wife`s wardrobe to a more FEMININE STYLE!

Hello ladies of fine scents,

Fortunately my wife´s interest in fine perfumes is growing up.
    Unfortunately for the last 20 or 30 years she tends to men`s fragrances (Fahrenheit i.e.) and has no experience in female frags.
    She appreciates my stimulus to get some more feminine scents.
    So I need your recommendations, here is the profile of the newbie:
    I welcome designer frags, not only high end niches, because I have to blind buy them.
    I consider a solid longevity and sillage.
    Please no intrusive citrus, sweets or florals; perhaps an iris powdery oriental.
    She already owns YSL Opium (fantastic), Armani Code (great) and YSL Y ( not ultra feminine).
    I`m open to any suggestions of you conoisseurs.

Thanks for your efforts,
    Ciao
    Last edited by easyfish; 19th April 2010 at 08:30 AM.

Default Re: Ladies, I need your help to stock up my wife`s wardrobe to a more FEMININE STYLE!

Have to wonder what's wrong with male marketed scents? If she enjoys them, let her.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Default Re: Ladies, I need your help to stock up my wife`s wardrobe to a more FEMININE STYLE!

Maybe Guerlain Jicky, Mitsuoko and Vol de Nuit would be worth a try. Habit Rouge for men would be great too.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin - it's quite soft and a bit powdery due to the licorice/anise note.
    Yves Rocher Iris Noir - iris with a bit of a gourmand twist, a bit sweeter like iris flowers rather than green and earthy like orris root.
    Caron Parfum Sacre - creamy, spicey, if she likes opium I think she will like this. and I would suggest exploring the whole of Caron's line of fragrances, they is so much going on there, including the male fragrances which I think she might love and can easily be worn by men or women. She might like Le 3 Homme - it's a bit floral and incensey.
    Molinard Habanita - tobacco, jasmine - it's a sexy honeyed baby powder type scent, the tobacco is fantastic.
    Etro Shaal Nur - a citrus top note in a base of woods, vanilla and incense.
    Hermes Hiris - a powdery iris scent, light and airy.
    Last edited by jacona; 19th April 2010 at 04:44 PM.

How about Egoiste,Shalimar or L'heure bleue?
    Last edited by ineespenes; 19th April 2010 at 06:12 PM.

Hillaire

Firstly, give the lady a hand! Sounds like her taste in fragrance was quit "grown up" some time ago. It takes some real insight into marketing machinations to wear what pleases one despite marketing designations!

Here are some selections she might find pleasing that happen to be marketed to women....

Jil Sander Woman III (You can still find this on shelves in Heidelberg, and it's incomparable.)
    Cabochard
    Azuree
    Balmain de Balmain
    Tom Ford Arabian Wood
    Sisley Eau du Soir

Another vote for Habanita (vanilla vetiver), Cabochard (chypre leather), Azuree (ditto) and Balmain de Balmain (chypre). These are marketed solely to women, although I am sure you know most people on this site wear whatever they want.

You can also try Prada Infusion d'Iris (powdery iris) and Balmain Jolie Madame (chypre violet leather). These, too, are market to women.

In the end, a woman will choose her own scents to wear, but its sweet of you to make suggestions. My DH is totally happy when I wear Le Troisieme Homme, Habit Rouge, Derby, Mouchoir, Equipage and Aramis, among others because it is MY choice. I wear Infusion d'Iris and Orange Blossom by VS Beauty to make him happy (and he knows I wear it at his suggestion), but otherwise I choose to wear one day my beloved YSL Paris (rosy floral) and then Mouchoir the next.

BTW, the Habit Rouge eau de parfum is divine with the addition of agarwood, and it's wonderfully unisex and rich. You two can share this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

For powdery Iris, I would go for Iris Nobile EDT-but EDP sounds a bit heavier and more "Oriental"-I would not recommend Hiris-almost no sillage whatsoever, even if I love it. I wear it to the doctor's office. Infusion D'Iris is also a skin scent. I would second Parfum Sacre based on your what your wife already has. I agree with Hillaire, but I understand your desire to have your wife adopt a new femme fatale fragrance-Fahrenheit really wouldn't cut it for me on a man or woman!

I am surprised to see you describe Y as not ultra feminine. I consider it classic lady like and feminine.

If you wife does not like or want to wear what you consider ultra feminine, then it won't work trying to force her. As said let her enjoy what she enjoys not what you want her to wear.
    DONNA

I get that you are a perfume lover yourself and quite happy, that she's tending to perfumes more and more? Is it right, that it's at least equally your fun to find her more femine fragrances? Than go testing with her!

Douglas is best to start with. You can test as much as you like at Douglas, the teen sales assistants normally won't complain, as they themself normally prefer the latest celebrity perfumes and have no clue of classic perfumery at all (I don't know, if you have been in the female department of Douglas often - they are really not too clever there, I think).

Explore with your wife the houses Chanel, Dior and Guerlain (although I would never go near the Guerlain corner). I think those three houses have the greatest female perfumes and a great variety of styles. She'll definitly find something, that she likes and you get a clue, if she likes flowers, amber, aldehydes, vanilla and / or animalics etc.

You can go from there to smaller houses and / or niche and finally go for blind buys of harder to get bottles. Unfortunatly other interesting houses aren't that easy to test: Balenciaga, Balmain, Molinard, Caron for example, but for you it's no problem, as you are located geographically perfect.

Go west: "Kürfürsten Parfümerie" in Mannheim has a decent variety of niche and classics, worth a visit, their shop address: http://shop.essenza-nobile.de. They have Balmain, Patou, Piguet, Caron and much much more, e.g. Lutens.

Go south: A little longer ride takes you to "Aus Liebe Zum Duft" in Bruchsal. I think a lot of folks here get grün-vor-Neid, that you are there in about half an hour ride. There you can test Molinard, Fath, Desprez, Balmain, Piguet, Caron, Knize etc., but also rare niches like Mona di Orio or Andy Tauer. You surely know their website, I don't post it.

Go north: If you drive to Frankfurt, you can spend a whole day only in perfumeries: There you have Kobberger, Albrecht and also a Chanel shop, where they sale the Exclusives.

Don't forget, all these shops have a male department as well.

:)

I agree with Donna : to me, Y is ultra-feminine. Femininity is, of course, constructed, so you and your wife may have different takes on what that is.

You've had some incredible suggestions here ... For some reason, Balmain de Balmain keeps leaping out at me ... So take your lady by the hand and get out sampling together! I hope you find something you both enjoy!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Firstly, give the lady a hand! Sounds like her taste in fragrance was quite "grown up" some time ago. It takes some real insight into marketing machinations to wear what pleases one despite marketing designations!
    [/B]
    I agree.

Some great recommendations already given above, but I want to echo the recs for Guerlain's Vol de Nuit, Caron's Parfum Sacre and YSL's Y. Jolie Madame is also a great recommendation.

Has she tried Chanel No 19 or Cuir de Russie?

Some great recommendations already given above, but I want to echo the recs for Guerlain's Vol de Nuit, Caron's Parfum Sacre and YSL's Y. Jolie Madame is also a great recommendation.

Has she tried Chanel No 19 or Cuir de Russie?

Blog Entries

I was just reading about Dior Midnight Poison and thought of this thread. I haven't tried it myself, but I think it should be mentioned.

Also, I think it's likely that the OP is not trying to coerce his wife into wearing more feminine scents; rather, they both are looking to bring a new dimension and some variety into her wardrobe. I can relate because it's in much the same way that I'm always trying to find a floral to love and add to my collection of mostly woody, incense-y orientals.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Bonjour mesdames,

merci beaucoup for your advices, the next days I`m going to blind buy her Parfum Sacre and Habanita.
    I want to indicate that I don´t want to force a more feminine style on my wife, it´s only quite boring to smell my scents on her over the years.
    It should only be an impulse and a favour (also to me )
    Yesterday I went to a small perfume shop nearby and fetch some paper samples for her:

Angel - BINGO! ha, you see, time is come to go feminine!
    Burberry London - fine, but political incorrect; they use or sell furs!
    Chopard Wish - ok
    Poison/Hypnotic poison - ok

I am pleased with further suggestions; by the way, what´s about Ungaro Diva, a powerhouse cheapo?

Thank you, have a nice day,
    Ciao

P.S.: Einen besonderen Dank möchte ich meinen beiden "Landsmänninen" für Ihre Beiträge aussprechen, seid mir gegrüßt, mögen Wohlgerüche Eure steten Wegbegleiter sein.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    I`m going to blind buy her Parfum Sacre and Habanita.
    I haven't tried Habanita, but I'm certain you've made a rock solid choice in the Parfum Sacre! Although, having said that, I must admit I can't stand Angel. Please let us know how she likes them!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I haven't tried Habanita, but I'm certain you've made a rock solid choice in the Parfum Sacre! Although, having said that, I must admit I can't stand Angel. Please let us know how she likes them!
    Oud Girl, Habanita is a GEM --a marvelous and powdery leather/iris with vetiver. Some sites sell the EDT in the 50ml for under $25.00. It also lasts a long time.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    You can go from there to smaller houses and / or niche and finally go for blind buys of harder to get bottles. Unfortunatly other interesting houses aren't that easy to test: Balenciaga, Balmain, Molinard, Caron for example, but for you it's no problem, as you are located geographically perfect.
    Balmains and Molinards are mostly available at such reasonable prices that I just blind-buy minis on eBay -- you can get a 1.7 oz. Jolie Madame for $15 including shipping, it's almost worth skipping the mini and just taking a chance on it at that price!
    Last edited by Thalia; 21st April 2010 at 09:08 PM.

Parfume Sacre and Habanita -- superb!

And a big YES to Ungaro Diva!!!!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Oud Girl, Habanita is a GEM --a marvelous and powdery leather/iris with vetiver. Some sites sell the EDT in the 50ml for under $25.00. It also lasts a long time.
    Thanks Primrose, but unfortunately, powder makes me go, "ACK!" Leather, iris, vetiver-- love, like, love. But powder.... I feel like one of very few people who doesn't love Habit Rouge. I've tried only the edc, but even though the edp is supposed to have a marvelous agarwood note, I'm afraid it'd be a waste of good juice if I were to put it on my skin.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I have to add a plus for Habanita... I think Anthracite is also a good buy, if you can find it.

The Chanels... particularly Mademoiselle, Sycomore, and No. 19, are nice and have some unisex qualities I think your wife would like... they can all be quite feminine... Mademoiselle the most femme of the group.

Hillaire turned me on to E. Coudray Esperys, which is a nice creamy rose with lots of depth and much femininity.

Ooh, I had to edit and second Mitsuoko... EDT or EDP... if she likes the Guerlinade quality she'll love Mitsu.

(and a second edit... Amazone, vintage... (the brown cap) ... another Hillaire suggestion that I bought and absolutely adore.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 22nd April 2010 at 01:53 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Chanel Bois des Iles. Beautiful sweet woods.

I just tried Jose Eisenberg's J'Ose, and highly recommend it. It's probably easier to get in EU than US.

You're from Heidelberg?? Then you just HAVE to know Parfümerie Frosch, don't you?? But if you shouldn't:GO THERE!!! That woman is a-maaa-zinnnng! She's got about everything ...from Knize 10 to..Amouage..I'd take your wife on a sniffing tour..
    Oh, and yeah, the Kurfürstenparfümerie is excellent too..and nearby.

Tschüssi!
    Last edited by allabouteve; 22nd April 2010 at 01:48 PM.