Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos Artisan Black

I'm new to Basenotes but I was lurking here for a while. Thank you all for your reviews and recommendations. They helped make some very nice purchases

Anyway, I saw this for sale on Nordstroms and Sephora websites. The description sounds great. From the John Varvatos website: "Introducing Artisan Black, a bold, new, limited edition scent from John Varvatos. A dark, woodsy interpretation of the original Artisan fragrance, Artisan Black showcases the brand's signature mix of old work craftsmanship with modern edge. The scent is a refreshing cologne that evolves into a deep masculine structure, revealing a background of sensual woody and leathery accents."

Has anyone tried it?
    Last edited by SpringfieldXD9mm; 23rd April 2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Image Addition
    He who looks outside dreams.
    He who looks inside awakens.

Default Re: John Varvatos Artisan Black

Yea, I was coming to post this very thread. Definitely needs a spot in the directory.

I sampled it today and like it.

Thanks stoavio. How does it compare to the regular Artisan? That is one of my favorites.
    He who looks outside dreams.
    He who looks inside awakens.

This one is still missing in the fragrance directory.

Artisan Black was composed by perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux, of such notes as tangerine, Meyer lemon, Italian red orange and Givaudan's calypsone. A heart incorporates Murraya flower, Tunisian neroli, Moroccan orange blossom, Indian Sambac jasmine absolute, ginger, purple ginger, cardamom absolute and coriander seed. A base includes Kephalis, Belambre, Boisiris, Serenolide, Vetyvert CO2 extract, Singapore Orpur patchouli, Mexican cueramo, soft leather and Florentine iris root absolute.

Thanks

Still missing

Im seeing Artisan Black at many of the stores now,why still missing?

Basenotes Plus

SOTD for me - I am a big John Varvatos fan and this bottle doesn't disappoint! The notes make it seem very fruity and floral with some darker base notes. I have the regular Artisan bottling and while there are some similarities - this is a true "Black" version of a very bright and beautiful Orange Blossom/Mandarin/Clementine that the original is. The original stays there while this really transcends into darker territory of rich, suede leather, warm patchouli and exotic shades of "night". The original Artisan bottling is a day-time scent, and perhaps evening on a patio in summer (warm weather necessary). This black bottle evokes great top and middle notes, like all the Varvatos bottles I have and the blend is very rich and harmonious. My only complaint is that while the scent is wonderful, sensual and provocative (8.8/10 for me on scent alone) - the longevity is a little lacking. Initially, it is sharp and the ingredients are deep and penetrating while being very natural. This is not a synthetic fragrance. It turns into a skin scent with moderate (4 hours) longevity and slightly above average silage. The first couple of hours - this is an attention-getter but it becomes an intimate skin scent after that, which might be what you want for a night-time scent any way...after all, you don't want your lover to suffocate and get nostril burn while you are in the heat of passion. ;-)

Keep this bottle for cooler weather and summer evenings (and be ready for compliments). I find this to be a scent that people always are attracted to...it does leave an aura about you. Kudos to John Varvatos! I would rather have a shorter longevity, natural, high-quality ingredients and a awesome scent than 12 hours of synthetic crap that you can't wait to scrub off. This is very fine indeed - final score 8.5/10!

Why is this still not in the directory? Simply love this fragrance. Was a blind buy for me when it was first available for purchase and became my fave from JV. Easily in my top 5.

Basenotes Plus

Merry Christmas killerloop (or Happy Holiday!) - I have John Varvatos by John Varvatos on right now for Christmas dinner! Love Artisan Black, as you know. :-) Check out regular Artisan when the weather warms (spring/summer) and get your hands on some John Varvatos (Classic) and the Vintage bottlings...you will not be disappointed. A quick recommendation - wear with the awesome aftershave balms...you get better longevity and better projection/sillage for anything Varvatos puts out when you layer it. Cheers!