Code of Conduct

Default parfumerie generale and montale recomendations

hi, i wanted to order some decants of each house but was unsure of which ones to go for. does anyone have any suggestions from either house?

Default Re: parfumerie generale and montale recomendations

What are your favorite types of fragrance? What do you own now? They're big houses, knowing this will help us know what to recommend.

Apparently you like sort of sweet scents to want to try PG.
    I can only provide info from my tests but would suggest Aomassai, Bois Blond, Cadjmere, Felanilla, Cuir Venenum & L'Ombre Fauve just to set your reference points. Happy Hunting.

As for Montale, my experience is fairly limited - I own Royal Aoud and Blue Amber + have tried Boise Vanille and that's about it.

You'll be making up your own mind but others will chime in soon - so hang around.
    Last edited by SoGent; 23rd April 2010 at 01:43 AM.

PG Querelle and Montale Oud Cuir D'Arabie
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

They both make a ton of scents...

L'Ombre Fauve is a favorite of mine from PG.

Black Oud seems like it might be the most popular from Montale.

black aoud is a must try. Aoud and dark rose. Strong but not strong.
    Red aoud if you like chocolate and iris. It is cloyingly good!!! It takes 45 mins to an hour to settle to a luxurious gourmand scent.
    Patchouli leaves if u want a 60-40 blend of amber - patchouli.
    White aoud if u like a floral aoud.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

PG - no idea, sorry.
    Montale - none. Way too strong, linear, and flat, like cheap fragrance oil concoctions. (there are some exceptions to the latter, although I think that every one of them i've tested is definitely *way too strong.*)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I recommend the same from PG as above plus Harmattan Noir, which is a cool, dry, dusty, salty, minty vetiver. I tried many and this is my favorite of the line so far. The rest I'm not too crazy about.
    Montale, I've tried **numerous** titles and they're great. The best are the aouds. Go with the favorites being mentioned. Plus, Aoud Roses Petals is breathtaking. The non-aoud line is great too but pales in comparison IMHO. The least impressive of the Montales to me have been the "musks" (e.g., Musk to Musk, Ginger Musk, Dew Musk, etc.). Except the White Musk and that one is good.
    Enjoy! Start somewhere...you'll get a sense of which way to go soon.
    RM

Many of the Montale ouds explore the opportunities created by the house oud accord and several varieties of rose. In other words, they're not very widely separated in olfactory space. Black Aoud is a good one to start with. If you like it, you'll like most of the others. It's just a question of focusing in from there.

Oud Cuir d'Arabie is something of a standout, too - it's a lovely combination of Montale oud, a very legible suede, and a sort of horsey barnyard odor. Top notch. Aoud Leather tones down the oud and removes the barnyard component.

The one Montale oud that I've tried that doesn't smell like the others is Original Aoud. To me it smells like a boiler-type humidifier badly in need of descaling. I didn't care for this one, but Steam Aoud tinges the standard Montale oud with a taste of Original Aoud to great effect.

Montales worth a try Black Aoud , Royal Aoud and maybe a bit feminine but Red Aoud has a wonderful chocolate note up top that I love

PG's Aomassai and Cadjmere and L'Ombre Fauvre

Montales:
    Black Oud - Rose, patch, oud. Classic Montale.
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie - Difficult scent. Oud and leather. Not for everyone, but do try it.
    Red Oud - Gourmand oud with iris, chocolate, saffron. Good.
    White Oud - Saffron, vanilla, oud.

Parfumerie Generale:
    Cuir d'Iris - Leather and iris. Awesome.
    Felanilla - Saffron, iris, vanilla, banana.

Only one PG -- L'Ombre Fauve. Okay, maybe a few others : Harmatan Noir, Querelle and Louanges.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Just a few suggestions..

PG - L'Ombre Fauve - Amber, Musk, Woods, Incense, & Patchouli

Montale:

Black Aoud - Red rose, Aoud, Labdanum, & Sandalwood

Blue Amber - Italian Bergamot, Bourbon, Geranium, Coriander, Patchouli, Vetiver, Amber, & Vanilla

Aromatic Lime - Galbanum and Myrrh, Vetiver, Sandalwood and Patchouli leaves.

Fougeres Marine - Fern, Lavender, Geranium, Patchouli, Oakmoss, & Musk
    Last edited by silverbullet; 23rd April 2010 at 03:53 PM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Too much love for Black Aoud :P

Aoud Cuir d'Arabie if you want a very strong and diffirent leather scent. Very very strong, dry, smoky, seductive, and manly. We have leather, oud, tobacco here.

Greyland ( cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, pepper, rose, musc ) if you want a romantique but still masculin scent. Smoky, woody, warm, dark, complex, and mature.

Red Aoud is not so dark and strong as Black. Red is delicious, sweet, creamy. Very romantique, very beautiful.

Mukhallat is fruity and vanille. If you like strawberry, you're gonna surprise when you test Mukhallat. Very sweet, very strong. Enjoyble. And diffirent.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Only one PG -- L'Ombre Fauve. Okay, maybe a few others : Harmatan Noir, Querelle and Louanges.
    Hey Amit, does L'Ombre Fauve last on you? I find that even if I give myself 10 sprays, it's more or less history in about an hour. I tried spraying it on fabric and it disappears there just as fast as it does from my skin. This makes me rather sad, as otherwise, it's such an amazing fragrance.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th April 2010 at 03:30 PM.

Dependent

Ruggles, my experience is similar. Gone under 2 hours. Not entirely gone, but it's just such a light smoky vanilla base after - all that nice soapiness/muskiness doesn't seem to last long enough. Beautiful scent, no question.
    Last edited by MFJ; 24th April 2010 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Hey Amit, does L'Ombre Fauve last on you? I find that even if I give myself 10 sprays, it's more or less history in about an hour. I tried spraying it on fabric and it disappears there just as fast as it does from my skin. This makes me rather sad, as otherwise, it's such an amazing fragrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Ruggles, my experience is similar. Gone under 2 hours. Not entirely gone, but it's just such a light smoky vanilla base after - all that nice soapiness/muskiness doesn't seem to last long enough. Beautiful scent, no question.

Guys, do not be deceived by it's 'disappearance' -- that scent lasts long. I routinely get asked/complimented by guys/gals who typically breathe in deeeep and ask the few folks around as to who's wearing that 'darn sexy scent'. So far it's always turned out to be me wearing the L'Ombre Fauve.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Montale recommendations are:
    Black Aoud it is a classic rose/oud combo and it is very strong but if strong doesn't bother you it is something to try for sure.
    Blue Amber is another envelope pusher as it is a facet of amber that pushes the edgy almost medicinal attribute of amber. i love it and it is one of my favorite warm-waether scents.
    Red Vetyver is Spicy grapefruit and warm woods and is another amazing non-oud form montale.

Parfumerie Generale Recommendations are:

Querelle has one of the more unique openings of any fragrance I own Pierre Guillaume's use of black caraway is brilliant
    Aomassi is one of the best gourmand fragrances available anywhere
    L'Ombre Fauve is another great one and I do not have longevity issues with it.
    Papyrus de ciane might be the best green fragrance I've ever tried.

You've got a lot of good suggestions it will be interesting to see which you choose and what you think.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 24th April 2010 at 04:49 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/