Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default An inexpensive Chergui clone...

So I was at Marshalls yesterday, and I came across a particular fragrance that I thought was quite wearable. It was kind of reminiscent of Gucci Envy and Burberry Brit, but not exactly the same. The longer I had it on, the more I realized that it smelled more like a fragrance I knew I had tried recently, but just couldn't remember the name. A few hours later, it hit me: Chergui. This fragrance smells JUST LIKE Chergui!!!

I have not yet compared the note chart, but I am certain they share a few common notes. These two are very very very similar.

What's the fragrance? Lanvin's Arpege Pour Homme.

Chergui fans, if you are looking for a Chergui substitute, do try this one! You won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by Larwiz; 23rd April 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Default Re: An inexpensive Chergui clone...

Does no one else agree with my assessment? If you've tried both, please comment. I know I am not alone!

I found Bvlgari Black somewhat similar, however I haven't really given Chergui a proper wearing, I've only tried it on my wrist.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Do you mean Arpege pour Homme or the original Lanvin Arpege?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Institution

IMO there is nothing on the planet that smells like Chergui.

Bvlgari Black, to me, doesn't smell a whole lot like Chergui.

Arepege Pour homme, Stereo. My bad for the confusion. Have you tried it?
    Mike, Arpege Pour Homme IS like Chergui. Trust me. Aquire a sample and then get back to me. Money back gauranteed!

I just received Chergui today from a fellow Basenoter. It reminds me of Kenzo's Jungle L'Éléphant, but not as sweet.

I have both... APH on left and Chergui on right hand... I don't really smell what you are smelling, they are very different as far as I can smell. Perhaps the dry downs will converge more.

Basenotes Plus

Having returned the bottle, I still have a few official sample sprays of Chergui. And of course, Arpege pour Homme is one of my favorites (also my wardrobe icon). How do they compare? Apart from the sweet spicy thing they both got going on in the sillage, I find them distinctively different. Perhaps you'd care to share which aspects you find most similar?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 23rd April 2010 at 05:06 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Arepege Pour homme, Stereo. My bad for the confusion. Have you tried it?
    Mike, Arpege Pour Homme IS like Chergui. Trust me. Aquire a sample and then get back to me. Money back gauranteed!
    I used to own a bottle of Arpege Pour Homme (someone gave it to me as a gift). I sold it.

I don't smell the similarities. I'm sure you do, and if so, great - enjoy it! Not for me though.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd April 2010 at 05:19 PM.

I actually think Richard James Saville Row has similarities.

Nothing quite like Chergui.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I have both... APH on left and Chergui on right hand... I don't really smell what you are smelling, they are very different as far as I can smell. Perhaps the dry downs will converge more.
    Let me know how they dry down. I am not imagining things. The two are very similar. I have a sample of Chergui, though, I'll admit, I haven't worn it in about a week. But I am still very familiar with the scent. And though I don't have a sample of Arpege ph, I was able to apply a generous amount on my skin this week, and walk around with it for a little. And almost the entire time, it smelled JUST LIKE Chergui to me. In fact, what was most frustrating was not remembering the name (Chergui), because I knew the scent was familiar, but I just couldn't remember which scent it smelled like. I don't know what the exact notes are, and am not confident I could put into words what the similarity is. But they both have a similar stuffy/powdery grourmand smell. It's like a powdery vanilla and maybe leather note. I am NOT imagining things. This weekend, I will see if it is still there, and if it is, I will wear it side by side with my sample of Chergui, and I'll see if my opinion remains.

Many women seem to think that Rykiel Woman not for men EdP is very similar, but I agree that there is nothing really close, but adding vanilla extract to the Richard James frag might be the way to go. I'd like to try this but my vanilla extract has corn syrup in it, and you can definitely smell the corn, so I'll have to get some pure vanilla extract at some point.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I found Bvlgari Black somewhat similar, however I haven't really given Chergui a proper wearing, I've only tried it on my wrist.
    For the record, I TOTALLY get the BVLGARI Black comparison. In fact, I have done an old side-by side, and I defy anyone in possession of both Chergui and Black to try this and find them wholly dissimilar.

As for the original poster's conclusion, that one I cannot smell.

Basenotes Plus

On another thread, I read about Cherryblossomdiva on e-bay offering a roll-on oil of a "Chergui type" frag and ordered some; dang it actually works as a copy, probably more so for women because the sweet notes are more prominent.
    I also have a d/c frag from the 80's called Vallee des Rois by Mira Takla (I think I must be the only person on BN who ever mentions this frag). It's a floriental, but the heart notes have similar notes to Chergui

But the similarity between Chergui and APH- and have found no similarity between the two to my nose.
    Ditto on Rykiel Woman.

I like threads like this- I always think the OP is opening up good discussion whether people agree or not.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 23rd April 2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Nothing quite like Chergui.
    Play-Doh.

Half-joking. I liked Chergui, but the drydown went all Play-Doh on me. Eck! I know this is a negative cultural association, and Basenoters who didn't have an American childhood may not have any idea what I'm talking about, but there are a handful of fragrances out there (L'Artisan has one) that smell too much like the famous childrens' modeling clay to be wearable.

I also get the (vague) similarity with Bulgari Black, but to my nose, Black is uncomplicated, more linear (totally linear, actually), and far easier to wear.

I love the idea of Lutens' range, but too many of them weigh a ton and have syrupy, medicinal, or food-spice notes that I find totally off-putting. Cloy-o-rama!

Bvlgari Black sucks! I'ma be honest. Chergui is not bad, but if I were the perfumer behind Chergui, and I saw mentions of similarities between Chergui and Bvlgari Black, I would not be happy.

I am really surprised that so far no one has made the connection between these two. To me, the two are very similar. Lemme see if I can find the notes on these two...

Maybe your chergui sample is off
    that could be a possibility
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I don't get any similarities either.

Believe it or not though, the only thing that I've smelled that even remotely resembles Chergui, is this cheap vanilla body spray called Vanilla Swirl by Calgone. I know a girl who wears it, and whether it's due to body chemistry, lying about her fragrance or something else, the sillage smells just like Chergui.

Edit: I have to specify though, that it doesn't smell anywhere near as complex or as wonderful as Chergui. Chergui is some kind of wonderful, and quite unique too.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 24th April 2010 at 12:56 AM.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I don't get any similarities either.

Believe it or not though, the only thing that I've smelled that even remotely resembles Chergui, is this cheap vanilla body spray called Vanilla Swirl by Calgone. I know a girl who wears it, and whether it's due to body chemistry, lying about her fragrance or something else, the sillage smells just like Chergui.

Edit: I have to specify though, that it doesn't smell anywhere near as complex or as wonderful as Chergui. Chergui is some kind of wonderful, and quite unique too.
    To be honest, I was quite underwhelmed with Chergui. I thought it was OKAY, but definetely not worth the hype that it gets on these boards. I have it on my left hand right now, and it is SORELY pailing in comparison to the lovely L'Air du desert marocain on my right hand. I thought Taur would have been another overrated fragrance, but it turned out to be lovely. I'm trying to figure out how to get a decant of this stuff. I'm happy to find another fragrance that is actually worth the hype...

Chergui's notes:
    Honey, musk, leather, incense, tobacco leaf, hay sugar, amber, iris, rose, sandalwood, sap, resins.

Arpege Pour Homme's notes:
    Nectarine, Pink Pepper, Seville Orange, Neroli, Nutmeg, Iris, Maté, Jasmine, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Precious Woods

Interesting enough, the only common note is sandalwood. But I find the notes in Arpege to be much more alluring on paper than those in Chergui. I may mess around and just buy the darn thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    For the record, I TOTALLY get the BVLGARI Black comparison. In fact, I have done an old side-by side, and I defy anyone in possession of both Chergui and Black to try this and find them wholly dissimilar.

I said exactly the same thing. Chergui has a signature Lutens note to it (as in some stages it's quite similar to Fumerie Turque without so much tobacco/smoke), and Bvlgari Black contains some of the same notes. The main difference to me is the BB topnotes and the longevity. Chergui has BB beat in that area, but I do find them quite similar... and the Chergui drydown has definite comparisons with the new tire and leather notes in BB. For the money... I'll overspray BB and "hoard" Chergui! (but then I like them both and often layer BB with Bandit.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 24th April 2010 at 01:52 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Larwiz, I have on Arpege pour Homme as my SotD. I just cannot see the similarities. I also feel they ( the two fragrances) have different textures. Arpege pour Homme being powdery and Chergui not at all. But, you may certainly see the similarites.

Currently, I am underwhelmed by both. Still, they are decent fragrances.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Aww Surfacing! When I saw that you posted, I thought for sure you would come through with a cosign! lol It's all good though. Tommorow I'ma do a side by side and see if I still feel the same. But I know I was instantly reminded of Chergui when I tried it the other day. Looks like I'm in the minority...

IMO FCUK Connect is the ghetto synthetic version of Chergui

At first, I thought "no way, they're nothing alike." But then I applied a little Arpege PH on my arm for a reappraisal and I'll be doggone if it really doesn't bear more than a passing resemblance to Chergui. It's nowhere near as rich and deep as Chergui, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. And now I think I appreciate Arpege PH a bit more. Very interesting.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 25th April 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Not inexpensive in the least but, another fragrance which I'm finding to share some with Chergui (albeit much brighter) is Parfumerie Generale Bois Blonde.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    i have both... Aph on left and chergui on right hand... I don't really smell what you are smelling, they are very different as far as i can smell. Perhaps the dry downs will converge more.
    hey stranger

Just to clarify for everyone, is this the one you refer to Larwiz?

Aww Surfacing! When I saw that you posted, I thought for sure you would come through with a cosign! lol It's all good though. Tommorow I'ma do a side by side and see if I still feel the same. But I know I was instantly reminded of Chergui when I tried it the other day. Looks like I'm in the minority...
    Guarenteed, the next time you make a post refering to a possible comparission of 2 fragrances, I will do the "PLUS ONE !!" for ya
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Djamison66 View Post
    At first, I thought "no way, they're nothing alike." But then I applied a little Arpege PH on my arm for a reappraisal and I'll be doggone if it really doesn't bear more than a passing resemblance to Chergui. It's nowhere near as rich and deep as Chergui, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. And now I think I appreciate Arpege PH a bit more. Very interesting.
    Finally, I got 1 cosign!!! lol I knew I wasn't imagining things! lol So maybe you can articulate the similarites between the two a little further. What is it that makes them similar?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Just to clarify for everyone, is this the one you refer to Larwiz?
    Yes Dullah, that's the one! And for about $20 for a 50 ml bottle, I think this is a much better deal than Chergui! Despite what the majority in this thread say, I would demand that anyone considering Chergui atleast TRY this one. Definite similarity!

They bth have a certain "sweet charm" to them, and their levels of sweetness are close, but you don't find a large difference, given the nectarine-fruitiness (similar to Lauder pleasures) topnotes of Arpege, and the dense depth of Chergui, along with a "smoky powdered sugar" note, noticably absent in Arpege, which has a different type of dry/powdery olfactory texture, more like course ground baking spices than fine like powdered sugar or smoke ?

I personally found arpege to be in the vein of Polo Double Black, which I also like.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 27th April 2010 at 03:23 AM.

Finally, I got 1 cosign!!! lol I knew I wasn't imagining things! lol So maybe you can articulate the similarites between the two a little further. What is it that makes them similar?
    I don't know if I can articulate it. Maybe it's the soft, sweet, creamy, powdery structure they have in common? I can't rightly say.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 27th April 2010 at 12:15 PM.

Djam, I think you nailed it. It's that sweet powdery note they share. It's a sweet thick and almost humid smell. This may sound strange, but Chergui's scent gives an impression of actually having tangible texture, like when there is very high humidity and the air actually feels thick and musty. Chergui and Arpege share that.

I sniffed it only once, briefly, but Body Kouros reminded me of Chergui. I'm sure fans of either or both would be horrified. Just sayin. . .

Body Kouros is good in it's own right, but I don't detect any resemblance to Chergui.

Arpege pour Homme and Chergui do not have any link at all imho.

And yes, Chergui also reminds me instantly of Kouros, and to be more accurate, Body Kouros.

It has a lil bit similar opening notes to Body Kouros but they diverge widely as the fragrance develops
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Hey Larwiz---Ever since I stumbled across this thread a while back where you asked if anyone had noticed a similarity between Apege pour Homme and Chergui, I had been intereseted smelling ApH just to see, especially since I LOVE Chergui, but can only afford a few 1ml samples from time to time. Based on the discussion you started, I figured that if I nabbed a bottle of ApH that could keep me going until I got my hands on FB of Chergui. Yesterday, I managed to get my hands on a 1 oz. bottle of ApH at TJ MAxx for $9.99. I spritzed it on when I got home and while it seemed a little thin compared to Chergui and a little something was missing, I could see what you were saying about the similarities...the skeleton of Chergui is there. I'm obsessive when it comes to perfume and I just had to know what the differences and similarities were between the two so I looked up the notes to both. There was definitely an overlap in many of the notes, but I noticed that there was no Amber listed for ApH even though it may very well be there in small amounts. I decided to do an experiment: I took some Ambre Extreme (by L'Artisan Parfumeur) which is a pretty linear Ambre scent and applied it to my wrist. I then layerd the Arpege pour Homme over it and BAM! I got something so similar to Chergui, including the "hay" note that I think I can be adequately satisfied until I can get my hands on a decent amount of real Chergui, because like Mikeperez said, there's NOTHING like Chergui.

Hey Ms Roch...very interesting. :-) I'm glad your layering was successful, and I'm glad you found some similarities in the two. I know I definetely did.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Having returned the bottle, I still have a few official sample sprays of Chergui. And of course, Arpege pour Homme is one of my favorites (also my wardrobe icon). How do they compare? Apart from the sweet spicy thing they both got going on in the sillage, I find them distinctively different. Perhaps you'd care to share which aspects you find most similar?
    What? can you return bottles?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    What? can you return bottles?
    Opened bottles can be returned to both Marshalls and TJ Maxx.
    to Ross, only if unopened
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Chergui and Bulgari Black are very similar indeed. I find that Chergui has more emphasis on honeyed hay, whilst Bulgari Black has more emphasis on rubber.

I also own Arpege PH, and I find it a more different beast. Lighter, more powdery.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I'm dying to smell CHERGUI!!!!!!!!!! I own BB and imo, it's one of the greatest frags I own. Sorry, I can't really be involved much in the convo since I've never smelled either of the two scents in question...lol.
    ***Top (favorite) 5 Frags in my Own Personal Collection***
    5. Man Eau Fraiche by Versace
    4. Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana
    3. La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2. Bvlgari Black by Bvlgari
    1. Angel Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Youtube Fragrance Reviews... with a twist at the end! www.youtube.com/user/jaironhoward
    FOLLOW ME!!! www.twitter.com/JaironHoward

MY WARDROBE: http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/

I also have APH and I like it. I believe I just got a sample of Chergui, or however it's spelled, in a collection and will compare. LOL.

I've returned bottles to Ross... but I also have a delicate way of opening the packages and found a special way to reseal them that is virtually undetectable unless you really really look hard. Of course you can't do it to them same package twice so if you screw it up, it's toast. I even returned one to a store in a mall that the guy looked it over pretty close and didn't see it. They didn't have a cash back policy but swapped it for a frag I liked.

Memory is a tricky thing, especially with scent. Nothing beats having them side by side to compare. Even a day apart can muddle the mind.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Sorry for going off topic, but I tried Chergui a few days ago at BG... The tester juice was the original (dark brown) juice, which I quite liked. I'm assuming that if I decide on a full bottle, I'll end up with the green reformulated juice. Is the reformulated juice that different? Is it still worth getting?

Thanks...

both scents are milky in a way.. but Chergui is way drier and greener.. i dotn see a resemblance...the only other scent which i found to be relatively close in sillage is, Tauers Vetiver Dance..

Thread summary: atleast 10 people compared Arpege Pour Homme and Chergui and found no similarity, and atleast 3 people (me included) compared the two and did see some similarity.

I have wondered how do you pronounce Chergui? I have been thinking it's like how that famous iconic singer from the 60s/70s must have gotten when she met Sonny Bono....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I don't see very many similarities between Chergui and Bulgari Black either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I have wondered how do you pronounce Chergui? I have been thinking it's like how that famous iconic singer from the 60s/70s must have gotten when she met Sonny Bono....
    I think it's something like "share" and "gui(tar)".

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post

I own both and NO in my opinion not close. Two different types of sweetness.......
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

I don't personally smell the resemblance between Chergui and LApH

I've only owned Arpege pH, so it may be too soon to speak on this, but based on just the notes, I can't see how these two could be anything alike. Arpege pH is a very simple composition.. citrus and vanilla that's very creamy.

Does Jacomo Rouge smell like Chergui?
    I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me. I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's. No time is better than the present.

If Bulgari Black smells like Chergui does Midnight in Paris EDP smell like both? I've never sampled Midnight in Paris, but I've read of the comparisons to Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Note even close. Jacomo Rouge would be more similar to Le Male or Reflection Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    IMO quite different.