Code of Conduct

Question What does Caron mean by "restoring" perfumery?

I saw this on Caron's website:

"True to the French High Perfumery tradition, today Caron has risen successfully to the challenge and restored the art of perfumery. Now there’s every excuse to succumb to the return of genuine perfumes."

I know this looks like empty advertising copy, but I think the wording looks interesting.

I initially thought it might mean that Caron are restoring their perfumes to what they once were, but it's so vague it could mean anything.
    Last edited by sean-dt; 23rd April 2010 at 01:09 PM.

Default Re: What does Caron mean by "restoring" perfumery?

Disingenuous marketing speak for 'reformulating'???
    Last edited by soirdelune; 23rd April 2010 at 12:54 PM.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

It could mean what Soirdelune said or it could mean that Caron perfume is 'different' and 'special' from what is generally out on the fragrance market ?? Hard to tell .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 23rd April 2010 at 03:29 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yeah, I don't think that they'd condemn their recent products...they've most lkely adding this Advertising statement in order for us to think more and more about it's context. Thus succumbing us to a foisted win!! :P

And hell it WORKS!!!

:P

Love you all!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

hmmmm, I'd hope it means they look at perfume as an art form rather than go with what most of the market is doing, but who knows really.

Blog Entries

If they really want to restore perfumery the first step would be to dump the IFRA, put a disclaimer on the bottle and start making great perfumes using quality ingredients and yes, that means Oakmoss and the like. Words are meaningless without action.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 23rd April 2010 at 04:42 PM.

I don't like the use, or misuse, of the word "succumb" in here. Maybe it's a missed subtlety in translation, if the original copy was not in English. Perhaps they meant "revert" or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    I saw this on Caron's website:

"True to the French High Perfumery tradition, today Caron has risen successfully to the challenge and restored the art of perfumery. Now there’s every excuse to succumb to the return of genuine perfumes."

I know this looks like empty advertising copy, but I think the wording looks interesting.

I initially thought it might mean that Caron are restoring their perfumes to what they once were, but it's so vague it could mean anything.
    What is old is new again...

Remember the marketing of Coke Classic (soft drink)? After so much "new" thinking, what is "old" becomes chic again.

Advertising copy, I would venture to guess.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sean- I think you saw this in their 'high perfumery' section. My take is that they are describing their urn fragrances. In the past, I think perfumes were filled from urns on site for customer use. Today they are mass shipped in small bottles.
    With their urns you pick which size bottle you want. I'ts a different buying experience, and it only available at three (??) sites world wide.

I'm surprised that this line isn't more common than it is. I think they've had bad press of late, but I've yet to smell a stinker from them.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

What N_Tesla said.

Basenotes Plus

I would like to think it means they are going to restore any of the scents they're tampered with to the original formulations.... I can dream, can't I?

Maybe it is a translation issue.

It's a translation from the French. As a rule, I find that French perfume houses don't seem to use professional translators: it always seems as though someone in-house said "Hey, I speak English!" and they gave it to him/her. And as no one there is a native speaker, they aren't aware that the translation sounds a bit off... All this to say that "succumb" is directly from the French "succomber", as in "give oneself over to temptation", a common verb in the purple prose of perfume ad copy.
    And, no, I don't think it's got anything to do with restoring formulas: what they're saying is that they've got classic perfumes and a new website. The urn perfumes are still available in Paris though it's been years since I've bought anything from them...

I'm sure everyone's right, and it doesn't mean anything. I just thought it was an interesting choice of words for the front page of the website.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    If they really want to restore perfumery the first step would be to dump the IFRA, put a disclaimer on the bottle and start making great perfumes using quality ingredients and yes, that means Oakmoss and the like. Words are meaningless without action.
    I agree. And I also think it's PR, plain and simple.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I think it means "we're reformulating (again) and you WILL like it as it is all there is" !!!

Reine

This house seems to have suffered from some bad PR lately. In my book it is aobut to tip the scale away from Guerlain as the best perfume house ever. i just tried Pour Une Femme parfum last night, and have not been that ecstatic about a perfume since I don't know when, actually.

HOpefully i'll find a Caron I don't like soon....
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org