Code of Conduct

Default Old Spice smells like manure

Seriously guys
    so I got a bottle of Old Spice Original, put some on, and the first thing I smelled was...manure. Feces.
    Anyone else get this feeling? Put aside all nostalgia please. I live in an area where everyone did not grow up with their dads wearing Old Spice. I don't want to come off with a shit (literally) first impression.
    Your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Old Spice smells like manure

No I have never smelled manure in Old Spice!?! Where'd you get your vintage orignal Ole Spice from? Sounds like the bottle has been exposed to some raw, maybe ruinous experiences that may have transformed the scent.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think Old Spice smells like manure. But I do think it smells better than a lot of the manure being sold as fragrances these days.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like Devin...

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you bought an expired batch?

I've never had a fragrance that smelled like manure (though some people say that eau d'hermes and terre d'hermes are close)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Try Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories....
    Last edited by silverbullet; 23rd April 2010 at 03:11 PM.

my butt sweat is actually starting to smell good to me. must be from trying all the musky stinkers.

Post Thanks / Like

No, nothing even close with Old Spice. But I believe this can be a matter of personal skin chemistry. I've tried several wearings of Jazz from numerous bottles, and I got a strong fecal note from all of them. I suggest you try a different bottle of Old Spice from a different source. If you get the same results, you'll probably want to take Old Spice off your wish list. Or make like a die-hard BNer and just tell people you like the "animalic" note in your Old Spice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

RJR -
    Last edited by silverbullet; 23rd April 2010 at 03:13 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    RJR -
    +2. I have never had that association from Old Spice.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it kind of smells like a barn, but not manure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    +2. I have never had that association from Old Spice.
    My dad wore it when I was a child, but I always related it to a sailor...

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I like more modern sailors :

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I like more modern sailors :

But of course you do.. what a surprise We need a trip to Millennium, Eh?

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Old Spice...... Manure?

Thats quite a stretch. Normal Old Spice (original, reformulated, whatever) could hardly be associated with anything fecal or animalic, except the fecal reference is just a figure of speech for "not nice".
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    No, nothing even close with Old Spice. But I believe this can be a matter of personal skin chemistry. I've tried several wearings of Jazz from numerous bottles, and I got a strong fecal note from all of them. I suggest you try a different bottle of Old Spice from a different source. If you get the same results, you'll probably want to take Old Spice off your wish list. Or make like a die-hard BNer and just tell people you like the "animalic" note in your Old Spice.
    RJR.....I also believe this could be the problem.....I get these type of results from Kouros.....It's either a skin problem or a bottle gone bad.....Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I can get fecal notes in some scents but in all the cases they morph for the better. Sometimes this is evident in scents that have been manufactured time ago, and in those with some type of synthetic musk. Among these last scents and among those I can remember, I have to mention Jazz, R&G Pour L'Homme and Moschino pour Homme. So far, this did not happen to me with Old Spice.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I've never noticed any notes in Old Spice that are even remotely fecal. Did you purchase an older vintage bottle, or is yours fairly new stock? As others have said here, sample some Old Spice from another bottle or two, and then make your final assessment. Then let us know if you still smell that purportedly nasty, animalic note.

i use the old spice original scent body wash, and it smells good IMO... and their cologne "O.S signature" isnt half bad for 15 bucks

Post Thanks / Like

I never got a Fecal note from Old Spice in 30 Years, must have a bad bottle

Post Thanks / Like

I've never smelled anything like manure in Old Spice. It could be your own olfactory sense of smell; people do smelll things differently from others.

For example, my wife tells me that she thinks Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes smells like rotten eggs or farts. What the hell?!?
    Last edited by shamu1; 25th April 2010 at 03:24 AM.

Ah...

My dad wore that and Lucky Tiger Rose (think he still does) and he was in the Seabees... and cute as can be. (my "family and friends" photo album has a pic of him and my mom about the time he was in the Navy...)

As to the manure... my association with manure (that's a combination of words you won't often see) comes from growing up around animals, and the smell of manure (horse and cow) and hay, grass, and the smells of the animals themselves is quite pleasant to me. When an animal eats grass, hay, and oats and nothing else, the smell of their manure is not "foul" as it it in dogs, cats, pigs, or humans. This was driven home to me in my home garden recently by the smell of well-decomposed grass clippings that had a consistency and a smell just like cow manure... there was an ammonia quality when these were turned, probably because of the anaerobic way they were composted (in black plastic bags) but once that passed, it was green, grassy, and very STRONG but not foul. Even horse and cow urine, which obviously has a different composition, is not all that horrible (unless it's stockyard-strong)...

(now that i've lectured on my rural childhood scent experience... and on why I love men in uniforms) (smiles)...
    Last edited by actiasluna; 25th April 2010 at 05:26 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

fountain

imo it's actually a nice cologne

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

By any chance you didn't try in on in the middle of your morning 3 S's did you? (Sh*t, Shave, Shower)

Return it.

My Dad also used to wear Old Spice. I just picked up a small 2 bottle set.The after shave smells different and does'nt last long. The classic colonge smells sorta like the Old Spice my Dad used to use. The DNA is there but not quite the same.Too bad they had to mess with the workin mans classic.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, thread title made me laugh. I wouldn't say it smells like poo though, but it does kind of smell like hay, or a barn. It's sort of animalic and quite spicy, and rather distinguished too. When people ask about things that smell like it, there are limited choices. For me personally, I don't find it horrible, it's just to bleh. Bland and boring, not enough there and never evolves.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never smelled dung, feces or manure in any fragrance I have smelled. At least in my part of the world (California, USA) our manure and feces doesn't smell good. Not sure where the sh*t smells like cologne, but I'd sure love to travel there. On the other hand, hyperbole isn't very valuable as a critical tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Ah...

My dad wore that and Lucky Tiger Rose (think he still does) and he was in the Seabees... and cute as can be. (my "family and friends" photo album has a pic of him and my mom about the time he was in the Navy...)

As to the manure... my association with manure (that's a combination of words you won't often see) comes from growing up around animals, and the smell of manure (horse and cow) and hay, grass, and the smells of the animals themselves is quite pleasant to me. When an animal eats grass, hay, and oats and nothing else, the smell of their manure is not "foul" as it it in dogs, cats, pigs, or humans. This was driven home to me in my home garden recently by the smell of well-decomposed grass clippings that had a consistency and a smell just like cow manure... there was an ammonia quality when these were turned, probably because of the anaerobic way they were composted (in black plastic bags) but once that passed, it was green, grassy, and very STRONG but not foul. Even horse and cow urine, which obviously has a different composition, is not all that horrible (unless it's stockyard-strong)...

(now that i've lectured on my rural childhood scent experience... and on why I love men in uniforms) (smiles)...
    Ditto: I grew up in a farm town in West Texas and the whole "barn smell" to me are good memories like volunteering at Therapeutic Horsemanship of El Paso and being around mentally/physically handicapped kids and four legged creatures.

Old Spice is great, my worst experience with a cologne is OP Juice..........ack.ack.ack.ack.......cough..cough. ....."is that rotten fruit I smell?".............

No.....this has never happened to me.....Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Shulton Old Spice has a warm vanilla floral smell.

P&G Old Spice has a powdery floral with a hint of licorice smell.

Both are classics that I enjoy from time to time.