Code of Conduct

Default Atelier Orange Sanguine

I saw this at luckyscent and it intrigues me a little bit since they describe it as long lasting.

Also, the fact that it is a Cologne Absolue (15% concentration) is interesting as well.

Anyone else make cologne absolues?

Default Re: Atelier Orange Sanguine

I have been wearing all of the Atelier Colognes and they hew to the construction of a cologne while lasting much longer due to the higher concentration. All five of these fragrances have a lovely brightness to them.
    I am wearing Orange Sanguine today.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I have been wearing all of the Atelier Colognes and they hew to the construction of a cologne while lasting much longer due to the higher concentration. All five of these fragrances have a lovely brightness to them.
    I am wearing Orange Sanguine today.
    Thanks! I will try them.

Are the bottles spray or splash?

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Thanks! I will try them.

Are the bottles spray or splash?
    They are all sprays. One thing is that luckyscent is now carrying them and you can order samples from them pretty economically and try the line out.
    Let us know what you think after you've given them a try.

Sur la Plage

I tried them at Nordstrom. I liked Trefle Pur and Bois Blonds the most.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I tried them at Nordstrom. I liked Trefle Pur and Bois Blonds the most.
    Was there one you didn't like Joe?

I really like all five fragrances and think four out of the five are very different. The only real overlap I experienced was with Grand Neroli and Orange Sanguine but the differences when compared side by side are pronounced to my nose.

I didn't find them particularly longer lasting, and they're somewhat derivative of other scents. Orange Sanguine, for instance, smells very similar to John Varvatos's Artisan. The Tea scent (I forget the name, Oolong something?), smells a lot like Bvlgari Pour Homme. While each of these has different notes, the overall feel of them are too similar to these other scents for me to pull the trigger.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Sur la Plage

Was there one you didn't like Joe?

I really like all five fragrances and think four out of the five are very different. The only real overlap I experienced was with Grand Neroli and Orange Sanguine but the differences when compared side by side are pronounced to my nose.
    I didn't dislike any of them. The others I thought were OK, but didn't really grab me. I probably liked Oolang Infini the least - but I am not big on light tea fragrances (i.e. the Bulgaris).

A good friend of mine is absolutely crazy for Orange Sanguine and bought a bottle of it.

Edit to my first post - I tried them at Neiman Marcus, not Nordstrom.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Shucks, was hoping that the Oolang would be different, especially since they are all supposed to have an orange note like traditional cologne. Based on the notes, the other scent I'm interested in is the Bois Blonds; orange, wood and musk... yum! I'm definitely going to have to get some samples.

I love this line and I'm glad it is being discussed.
    I have been wearing Trefle Pur everyday since I got it last week. Clean, fresh and easily lasts 20 hours plus. It is always there but is never overwhelming.
    The whole line intrigues me simply being riffs on the Eau de Cologne theme.
    Insofar as "spray or splash" goes, the box it came in says the spray is removable. I haven't tried it since I like the spray.
    Last edited by loungeboy; 23rd April 2010 at 05:06 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm extremely interested in this line. Can anyone give small reviews? From note lists I'm particularly interested in Bois Blonde and Trefel Pur, but I'll take reviews on any of them.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Thumbs up Re: Atelier Orange Sanguine

Because all of these frags are based on Eau de Cologne I'm guessing you'll find them all familiar in some way.
    The box for Trefle Pur simply says:
    1. Clover absolute
    2. Violet leaves
    3. Patchouli Moss
    Trefle Pur is very much a citrus frag with a very fresh (hinting at green) thread running through it. It is clean smelling without at all smelling like chemicals.
    It is also smooth as silk. Not a sharp note anywhere.
    I often wear Acqua di Parma Colonia to get my dose of citrus but in comparing the two ADP is so much more floral than Trefel Pur.
    My SO says this smells like me and it reminds him of that citrus masterwork TOVA FOR MEN. It certainly has that "fresh out of the shower" similarity.
    It too reminds me of something that took me a while to get. I'm playing with ancient history here but at times I get whiffs of the original NINO CERRUTI from the 80's.
    The longevity here pretty much blows everything I own out of the water. The only things that come close are some fragrance oils I have.
    It proved its worth the other day: applied before work at about 6am it was still with me after an hour of Pilates at 8pm. And even though I was hot and sweaty I still smelled pretty great. LOL.

Oh jeez, that sounds great. I'm going to have to order a bunch of samples from the LS.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

I got a sample of Orange Sanguine today. WOW!!! This stuff is brilliant. Not since Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma have I smelled an orange fragrance that smelled so wonderfully natural and energizing. It really does smell (as the ad copy suggests) like you've been squeezing fresh orange juice at breakfast. I can't wait to wear this again, this week. I highly recommend lovers of orange notes to check this one out. Very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I got a sample of Orange Sanguine today. WOW!!! This stuff is brilliant. Not since Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma have I smelled an orange fragrance that smelled so wonderfully natural and energizing. It really does smell (as the ad copy suggests) like you've been squeezing fresh orange juice at breakfast. I can't wait to wear this again, this week. I highly recommend lovers of orange notes to check this one out. Very impressed.
    I've got a sample of this coming this week too; I can't wait to try it out. Have you tried any of the others from this line?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I've got a sample of this coming this week too; I can't wait to try it out. Have you tried any of the others from this line?
    Not yet. My arm was already coated with 3 scents, when I encountered all 5 of the Atelier's.

A shame they're so expensive, though...

Not yet. My arm was already coated with 3 scents, when I encountered all 5 of the Atelier's.

A shame they're so expensive, though...
    It seems like the Orange Sanguine only comes in 200 ml bottles. $145 for 200 ml isn't too bad, but it might be nice if there were smaller ones available.

This was discussed on another Atelier thread.
    This fall they will be releasing all five fragrances in 30mL travel sizes.
    I wish they were doing it now because I think all five fragrances are excellent warm-weather fragrances and Atelier would get much more people wearing their colognes.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    It seems like the Orange Sanguine only comes in 200 ml bottles. $145 for 200 ml isn't too bad, but it might be nice if there were smaller ones available.
    Well maybe not these days, in the fragrance world where everyone-and-his-mother is jumping on the luxury fragrance bandwagon. But years ago, coming out with 5 scents at once, with all of them around $150 a bottle, was absolutely unheard of. These days, it just seems to be accepted (and dare I say, expected) that people will pay this much $ for fragrances. IMO it's just greedy and it's hard to swallow that, even when the fragrance is wonderful like Orange Sanguine is.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th May 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Basenotes Institution

This was discussed on another Atelier thread.
    This fall they will be releasing all five fragrances in 30mL travel sizes.
    I wish they were doing it now because I think all five fragrances are excellent warm-weather fragrances and Atelier would get much more people wearing their colognes.
    Wonderful news.

Orange Sanguine, my SOTD, is just making me grin from ear-to-ear. Happy by Clinique has met it's match.

Well maybe not these days, in the fragrance world where everyone-and-his-mother is jumping on the luxury fragrance bandwagon. But years ago, coming out with 5 scents at once, with all of them around $150 a bottle, was absolutely unheard of. These days, it just seems to be accepted (and dare I say, expected) that people will pay this much $ for fragrances. IMO it's just greedy and it's hard to swallow that, even when the fragrance is wonderful like Orange Sanguine is.
    Perhaps I am mistaken, but I think that when a house releases five fragrances at once, they are hoping that potential buyers will fall for one of them, rather than expecting that most of us love/buy all of them. It is an attempt to get to a level of success all at once, rather than gradually. Not sure of the risk vs. the benefits. I guess we will know more for this house as time progresses.

To be fair, $150 for 200ml of a niche fragrance is actually not too expensive; works out to be less than $40 for 50ml, which is still much cheaper than Creed, Serge Lutens, Amouage and other niche houses.

I liked Orange Sanguine, but I generally prefer somewhat blended scents, so I prefer Bois Blond and Tefle Pur over Orange Sanguine. Plus, they project and last longer than OS.