Code of Conduct

Default Scotch whisky-ish?

Had a stressful day today. Came in and the wife poured me a snifter of my favorite scotch - Laphroaig 15 years. Smoky, peaty, and boozy, with a hint of leather and lavender. Reminds me of something out of the movie Gosford Park.

Are there any scents that remind you of whisky? Derby is one that I can recall. Unfortunately, it is now so exclusive and expensive, I might as well pour a bottle of Laphroaig on me.

Aramis is another. But I've heard it has been reformulated.
    Last edited by Texican; 18th April 2010 at 01:52 AM.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: Scotch whisky-ish?

Nice wife!

Pure Malt reminds me of whiskey.

Cumming?
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Demeter has some scents specifically targeted towards smelling like booze, as said in another thread.

One that I have/had that smell like liquor:

Tommy Bahama- Set Sail St. Barts.
    DKNY- Red Delicious
    Sean John - I Am King
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Champaca Absolute by Tom Ford smells like cognac to me, but at the same time it kind of smells chemical and like blowing bubbles :/

Pure Malt is probably gonna be a popular one amongst this thread.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 18th April 2010 at 02:11 AM.

Try Le Dandy by Parfums D'Orsay (OK, I know...I know...) It has a very boozy note--like when a dandy takes a stiff drink after a long stint at the gaming tables.

Also try Ambre Russe by parfums d'Empire. Very boozy note inspired by Russian nobility and vodka. A divine amber and a favourite of mine. Ambre Russe has been compared to Le Dandy.

I these don't work, pour some Talisker or Glenfiddich on yourself!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I don't have any suggestions but I just thought I would compliment the OP on his taste in whisky.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 18th April 2010 at 04:05 AM.

I think Fille en Aiguilles has a bit of that smoky peatiness in it.

Le Labo Patchouli 24 (I think 24) has some incredible smoky notes, but think more Lagavulin than Laphroig.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Cumming has a whiskey note but I don't think it smells like whiskey, though I wouldn't know since I don't drink. Another one to check out is Fumidus for the scotch/cigar smell.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 18th April 2010 at 04:52 AM.

I actually don't drink much whiskey, but I always have a bottle of Talisker or Ardberg around for entertaining, and I actually don't think Pure Malt smells like whiskeys, mainly because I don't know any whiskey that is so sweet. There might be a shade of booze from Pure Malt, but the OTT sweetness really blows any similarity to actual whiskey away. I'm actually also looking for a scent that has the smooth, sophisticated and warm feel of whiskey/cognac, which is why I bought Pure Malt, but it's just not it.

Caliber 12 to me smells like an aged whiskey.

+1 on the Fumidus. If you've ever smoked a cigar with a glass of whiskey, this is as close as it gets (there's also vetiver in there).
    Sales thread here

I think Dzongkha by L'Artisan has whisky-ish top notes.
    Evenstar

We were visiting some friends who had some Lagavulin (a very nice Scotch Whiskey) in the house. It had me associating to La Via del Profumo's Cuba Express. www.profumo.it

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    +1 on the Fumidus. If you've ever smoked a cigar with a glass of whiskey, this is as close as it gets (there's also vetiver in there).
    +1 too..

Pure malt is close to what you want. There's not enough "dirt" in it, but it certainly does evoke scotch. I have a bottle that I now wish I hadn't bought. To me not a very pretty scent.

Laphroaig is one of my favouites too. If you don't mind a side of Iris with your Scotch, TDC's Bois d'Iris is very reminiscent of whisky. More 10yo Jura than Laphroaig however...
    Last edited by hilaryjane; 18th April 2010 at 12:33 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Texican: Trust me, you need to try Fumidus by Profumum

I perceived both Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligons and Zino by Davidoff as boozy, slightly earthy, intoxicant spicy, all in all- to my nose- very close to good quality scotch

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Texican: Trust me, you need to try Fumidus by Profumum
    I agree with Mike 100%. This is EXACTLY what you're looking for, but it will cost you megabucks.

How 'bout Miller Harris Vetiver Bourbon?

I am in total agreement with the Profumum Fumidus recs but the price is definitely up there. For something less complex and much cheaper you might want to try Portland General Store's Whisky. it is available on Etsy for $25 it smells more like Maker's Mark than Laphroaig but it might do the trick for you.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I have had only a sample of Fumidus, and I agree that it has a whisky-ish smoke thing going on, the result of the type of vetiver oil used, at least in part, no doubt. However, I think if you're looking for peat, you're looking not only for smoke but also for salt and iodine. I get these things from Fumidus, but I also get them from the less spendy Annick Goutal Vetiver. It does not have as much smoke as Laphroaig does, but it does carry wood notes, salt, iodine, and a whiff of smoke along with an earthy, grassy vetiver (which I think again yields the impression of a good Islay). To me, most boozy frags come across very sweet, and Laphroaig carries only a touch of sweetness from the residual char and American whiskey in the used bourbon casks in which it is aged. Additonally, Scotch does not smell particularly boozy to me, not in the way that rum and cognac do.

Anyway, Fumidus and Annick Goutal Vetiver are both worth a shot IMO.

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 18th April 2010 at 03:37 PM.

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Tim McGraw Southern Blend has a whiskey note. It's not bad IMO for a Wal-Mart type frag.

Fumidus.

/Thread

Oops repost.
    Last edited by warlandsboy; 18th April 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I have had only a sample of Fumidus, and I agree that it has a whisky-ish smoke thing going on, the result of the type of vetiver oil used, at least in part, no doubt. However, I think if you're looking for peat, you're looking not only for smoke but also for salt and iodine. I get these things from Fumidus, but I also get them from the less spendy Annick Goutal Vetiver. It does not have as much smoke as Laphroaig does, but it does carry wood notes, salt, iodine, and a whiff of smoke along with an earthy, grassy vetiver (which I think again yields the impression of a good Islay). To me, most boozy frags come across very sweet, and Laphroaig carries only a touch of sweetness from the residual char and American whiskey in the used bourbon casks in which it is aged. Additonally, Scotch does not smell particularly boozy to me, not in the way that rum and cognac do.

Anyway, Fumidus and Annick Goutal Vetiver are both worth a shot IMO.

Regards,
    T
    Annick Goutal Vetiver = Caol Ila

I feel that Vintage Tabarome and a glass of Lagavulin go hand in hand.

Im going to go out on a limb and suggest Le Labo Oud which definatly has a whiskey note about it

Basenotes Institution

I have had only a sample of Fumidus, and I agree that it has a whisky-ish smoke thing going on, the result of the type of vetiver oil used, at least in part, no doubt. However, I think if you're looking for peat, you're looking not only for smoke but also for salt and iodine. I get these things from Fumidus, but I also get them from the less spendy Annick Goutal Vetiver...
    I agree with TBoner. It was Basenotes member scentemental who first made the vetiver connection, to Fumidus. He said that the scent smelled just like unrectified vetiver oil. The small family of vetivers that also come across as peaty, harsh, iodine-rich and 'dirty', might work for you. In addition to the Goutal, I would add Vetiver by Etro and Les Nez's discontinued, limited edition Vetiver Exercise No. 1.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th April 2010 at 08:02 PM.

Hmmmm, and what's wrong with just pouring some great old Scotch all over You're chest Texican?

Opium Pour Homme maybe.

I get these things from Fumidus, but I also get them from the less spendy Annick Goutal Vetiver.
    Cool! Thanks for the recommendation! Fumidus I can't find, but Goutal I can

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Cool! Thanks for the recommendation! Fumidus I can't find, but Goutal I can
    Be warned: the Goutal Vetiver doesn't have a classic whiskey accord. Rather the iodine accord of certain single malts.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    Be warned: the Goutal Vetiver doesn't have a classic whiskey accord. Rather the iodine accord of certain single malts.
    Yes, I'm going to agree with this 100%. Although I've found "whiskey" note in many of the aforementioned fragrances, Fumidus is the only one that is like a true dram to me. And while the others might have a smoky note or a malty note or slightly lavender/heather/chalk notes but Fumidus is scotch for the skin and worth every penny over Annick Goutal. In fact, it's a slightly chilly and rainy day today - I might have a spritz of Fumidus when I get home!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

I totally second Le Labo Oud 27, especially if Laphroaig is what you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Im going to go out on a limb and suggest Le Labo Oud which definatly has a whiskey note about it

For me, the first that comes to mind is Baldessarini Ambré.

Amouage Tribute Attar. Rich, dense, smoky. Beautiful.

I was just at CB I Hate Perfumes in Williamsburg over the weekend and he has a non-commercial perfume you can buy there called whiskey that i think smells more like an islay single-malt than a whiskey. It is pretty true-to-life and would probably make great layering!

Smh78

check my fragrance blog: http://thehortusconclusus.blogspot.com/

Nothing spells Scotch whisky like Essence of John Galliano (Diptyque)

Is is a room spray but still very practical in personal use as well.
    It is smoky, peaty, dry, tarry and full-bodiedly malty with semi-sweet undertones. Lasts a long time on skin and on clothes as well, depending on how you like to use it.