Code of Conduct

Default romantic fragrance for men

hey guyssssss!
    i need your help over here. i need to gift a scent to someone really special
    tell me any scent with the most romantic fragrance ever.
    thanks

Default Re: romantic fragrance for men

Kind of a difficult question to answer directly, but if I had to (which I feel I have to) I'd go with Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur. Breathtaking.

I would recommend Caron's Troisieme Homme, a lovely lavender floral, or even Versace The Dreamer, with its drydown of tobacco. Both are easy to find online.

If you want to buy something pricey, try Guerlain's Habit Rouge, a divine citrus/floral/leather (esp. in the hard-to-find EDP) or Mouchoir de Monsieur, a dreamy, refined lavender.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    Kind of a difficult question to answer directly, but if I had to (which I feel I have to) I'd go with Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur. Breathtaking.
    + 1
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

This can be a tricky question, because cologne is a very subjective thing. If you want something sexy to your nose, than certainly sample it first if possible. However, I can try to lead you in the right direction by recommending what I consider to be romantic, sexy frags. Maybe go with Rochas Man, if you want something like chocolate. Some women really adore Dior's
    Fahrenheit. Definitely sample it if you can. These two are especially good in cooler weather. For a sexy summer frag, maybe something like Azzaro Chrome or Cool Water.

All I know is I get sooooooo many comments directed at me every single time I wear Dunhill Desire (the original red one)...it's not even close to being one of my favorites, but it happens like clockwork. When I wear it, women notice! I call that pretty romantic ;-)
    Last edited by arlecchino; 23rd April 2010 at 07:21 PM.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I had one revealing discussion with a mature, but still very attractive and extremely elegant female sales assistance of a niche frags store and she told me that she is adoring the scent of Endymion by Penhaligons, almost up to the point on addiction, on her man (and, almost on any man) during any romantic occasion. Well, maybe she just wanted to make rather pricey frag more marketable and also tried to give me some free dating tips, but something in her whole expression, mannerisms and demeanor showed me that it was not a mere empty, utilitarian commercial discussion and that she was really convinced about what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I would recommend Caron's Troisieme Homme, a lovely lavender floral, or even Versace The Dreamer, with its drydown of tobacco. Both are easy to find online.

If you want to buy something pricey, try Guerlain's Habit Rouge, a divine citrus/floral/leather (esp. in the hard-to-find EDP) or Mouchoir de Monsieur, a dreamy, refined lavender.
    I think the suggestion for Caron's Troisieme Homme is very good. A good time will be had by all.

le male, acier aluminum can be romantic in a dirty sexy way, obsession, well those are a few that i can think of off hand

PawelL

Try Fendi Theorema. I know it's been discontinued but I'm sure you can still find it online. Rest assured, it's just the right measure of masculine romantic.
    Best regards,
    P

I'll throw in with Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier (aka Habit Rouge EdP). Caron's Third Man is very nice as well.
    PG L'Ombre Fauve.

But honestly, don't know enough about his tastes, age range, your tastes. Is it a boyfriend or husband? Is just a man friend you want to gift? Lots of variables.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 23rd April 2010 at 09:09 PM.

Gatsby

44% of the reviewers on Fragrantica rated Ungaro III 'intimate'.

My choice would be Mauboussin Homme EDP. It is superb!

Kiehls Musk
    Ungaro III as well
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    All I know is I get sooooooo many comments directed at me every single time I wear Dunhill Desire (the original red one)...it's not even close to being one of my favorites, but it happens like clockwork. When I wear it, women notice! I call that pretty romantic ;-)
    I stopped wearing that out a while ago after reading so many comment that it is a romantic scent. But I like it in the spring/summer, so I may give it a few wears this week.

Usually romantic fragrances are light fragrances or maybe suave and warm, with a lot of depth and character, try Dior Homme, you'll adore it if you're a romantic type rest assured.
    Other colognes that strike me as romantic are: L'Homme by YsL, Versace The Dreamer, A Taste of Heaven by Kilian, Back to Black by Kilian (I think because my girl wears it) + From my experience you can give a fragrance any meaning you like and you can associate it with anything, that's what I like about them.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Chanel - Antaeus

Strong and sensual but refined and mysterious at the same time.
    Knize Ten !

I did happen to pick up a mini of Dior Homme off the internet one day. I dabbed a little on my arm after it came in the mail.
    Later that night, I had my wife sniff my arm to see if she would like it. Her response was something along the lines of, "Ewww, powder!" If this is something that is to be enjoyed by you and your special someone, then I would recommend going to a deparment store, or better yet, a specialty shop that only carries fragrances. Let the sales person help you test out different things. It would also be nice if the guy felt good wearing the frag as well. Depending on your taste, romantic could involve anything from chocolate to oakmoss. Read some internet cologne reviews. Apparantly, there is a very fine line between smelling sexy and smelling like cat urine.

Jean Patou Prive PH.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 24th April 2010 at 01:52 PM.

My personal favorites in the romantic category right now are Kenzo Power and Hypnose Homme. Kenzo Power is fresh and comes with a warm cuddling middle and base. Hypnose Homme is more mysterious and dangerous.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Ok...I may draw some flak for this but Thierry Mugler A*men is an incredibly romantic scent on a man. If the harsh opening is a cause of concern, which it is for most haters, Pure Malt is a fantastic alternative.

Please do let us know what did you choose in the end and why?

Chanel - Antaeus
    Last edited by arda; 17th June 2011 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I stopped wearing that (Dunhill Desire) out a while ago after reading so many comment that it is a romantic scent. But I like it in the spring/summer, so I may give it a few wears this week.
    I really liked this when I bought it a few years ago. I took it back a couple of days later because it had the worst longevity of any fragrance I've ever purchased, right up there with Baldessarini cologne. Do you guys get any staying power with this whatsoever?
    Last edited by Naitch; 24th April 2010 at 10:29 PM.

To Natch: it use to last on my skin...

Bvlgari BLV, Tom Ford Noir de Noir, Paris Hilton for Men, Kenzo Power or Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Seas, Gucci PH II also
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 24th April 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeGoddess View Post
    hey guyssssss!
    i need your help over here. i need to gift a scent to someone really special
    tell me any scent with the most romantic fragrance ever.
    thanks
    Hail Perfume Goddess!

You will now have 27 different opinions

Personally, I found Malle's Musc Ravageur better suited to women, though I'm sure some women love it on a man they love. I gave my bottle away to an old flame. What the hell I owed her one, she helped break up my marriage.

Ditto Dior Homme. I sense a strange " lipstick " smell, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who does. I think it would have been a great signature scent for Lauren Bacall in the 1940's.

Don't even me get started on Le Male or Versace's Dreamer.

Nevertheless, my recommendation would be those that are (or lean towards) the oriental category.

Ah! But which ones?

Chanel: Antaeus
    Chanel: Egoiste
    Biagotti: Roma Uomo
    Creed: Baie de Genièvre
    Mont Blanc: Individuel (if you can't afford BdG )
    Nicole Miller: Nicolle Miller for Men (vintage formula)
    Tiffany: Tiffany for Men
    Richard James: Richard James
    Guerlian: Habit Rouge

All 5 star scents with the exception of Individuel, a 4.5, possibly better suited to the G.Q. crowd.

Getting funky:

Down and dirty with a lot of class:

Hermes: Eau d'Hermes
    Serge Lutens: Muscs Koublaï Khän

+ The decadent sophisticated: Creed Acier Aluminium.

And I feel a complete cad and ladykiller with Aramis Havana, but I can't in good conscience recommend it as " romantic. "
    It can be, of course--but that's not its primary function. (Some would say the same thing about Roma)

One more non-sweet non-oriental aqua which is very romantic--by the seashore:
    Creed: Erolfa

Naturally, this is all simply my subjective, personal and infallible opinion.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 25th April 2010 at 01:31 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Body Kouros
    L Instant
    Safari
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys for such a lovely replies. You have provided me with a loong list so now it is more hard to decide i am planning to buy all