Code of Conduct

Default Field Notes from Paris by Ineke: Tobacco, patchouli and vanilla

Every once in awhile, the good-natured ghost of the Comte d'Orsay prods me with a gentle tap of his scented gloved hand. He suggests I do again what every self-respecting dandy must do: have a little fun by making a gamble or wager.

Now the good Comte enjoyed hazards (dice) and whist (cards) and liked a little advantage against the house. One *can* calculate odds, you know...

Well, I am interested in buying Ineke's Field Notes from Paris unsampled. I have read the reviews and notes, so this is not a totally blind buy. I am also soliciting advice. This is listed as a women's scent in the archives but many of us here cite it as a unisex. It has top notes of bergamot, lemongrass and coriander seed, followed by tobacco flower (nicotiana alata), black pepper, cedarwood and patchouli. The drydown has notes of amber, tonka bean, vanilla and beeswax.

To me, this sounds dreamy!

I would appreciate any help, as I do not want a pouting ghost on my hands.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26131032.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 23rd April 2010 at 07:46 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Field Notes from Paris by Ineke: Tobacco, patchouli and vanilla

I really like Field Notes from Paris and will probably buy it in the future. I think it's definitely unisex, and Ineke agrees on her FAQ page.

One suggestion that I would make is to purchase the Deluxe Sample Collection from her website. It costs $25 dollars and comes with a $25 dollar coupon to use on a full-bottle purchase. Or, if you're pretty sure you're ready to buy Field Notes unsniffed, I'd go ahead and buy the samples first anyway and then redeem the coupon for the bottle. You'll get her beautifully presented box of samples essentially for free that way.

Sur la Plage

I tried the entire line recently and Field Notes From Paris was by far the standout of all of them - and definitely unisex.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    I really like Field Notes from Paris and will probably buy it in the future. I think it's definitely unisex, and Ineke agrees on her FAQ page.

One suggestion that I would make is to purchase the Deluxe Sample Collection from her website. It costs $25 dollars and comes with a $25 dollar coupon to use on a full-bottle purchase. Or, if you're pretty sure you're ready to buy Field Notes unsniffed, I'd go ahead and buy the samples first anyway and then redeem the coupon for the bottle. You'll get her beautifully presented box of samples essentially for free that way.
    Thank you for the suggestion! That IS a tempting offer and I just might be tempted. Wow--this is a nice way to gamble and may even pay out better when you get excited by something in the package. Plus a nice coupon to buy. This is a win-win situation.

petruccijc, thank you for the recomendation. I swooned when I saw the Field Notes *notes* with tobacco and vanilla, patchouli and citrus.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I realize I'm a bit late to the party. I bought Field Notes blind and I could not be happier, definitely my favourite of the Ineke line as well. The staying power is excellent and it's just so SMOOTH. You will not be disappointed.

I, too, bought Field Notes blind (after looking at the note, though...) and found it to be a wonderful scent.

I also bought her samples from her Web site, which offers the $25 USD towards a full-bottle purchase from her site. You can't lose.

I also like the Derring-Do and will eventually buy another bottle of Field Notes. After My Own Heart is a wonderful lilac floral scent with an old Victorian feel--perfect for a lady's mouchoir...

Basenotes Institution

Is FNFP very tobacco prominent?

Nathan Branch @ nathanbranch.com did a beautiful pictorial and review recently on this much praised fragrance. You might check his archives for this info.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is FNFP very tobacco prominent?
    Mike, the tobacco flower is strong in the opening and middle, but warms down to the patch and vanilla.
    Last edited by Primrose; 10th May 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I, too, bought Field Notes blind (after looking at the note, though...) and found it to be a wonderful scent.

I also bought her samples from her Web site, which offers the $25 USD towards a full-bottle purchase from her site. You can't lose.
    I'm glad to hear that you went for it. Field Notes will definitely be my second Ineke bottle at some point in the future.

I found the whole line to be cheap and unoriginal. Field Notes and Derring Do were the best, but the packaging and bottles (which are quite nice) totally out-do the scents themselves.

I was gonna suggest not to buy it blind, regarding the first post, but hey! Glad to hear you like it in the end. Love it when blind buys turn out better than expected.
    Sales thread here

Blog Entries

I'm just biding my time on FNFP. Great scent, and highly recommended. I also like Derring-Do.

I wanted to love Chemical Bonding for the name, but.... "no dice"!

How does Field Notes compare with other Tobacco Scents, like Tobacco Vanille and Tonka Imperiale?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    How does Field Notes compare with other Tobacco Scents, like Tobacco Vanille and Tonka Imperiale?
    Field Notes is a more blended scent and does not have the tobacco predominate. The tobacco is more floral and unlike By Killian Back to Black or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, which smells like treated pipe or cigar tobacco.

Field Notes is a more blended scent and does not have the tobacco predominate. The tobacco is more floral and unlike By Killian Back to Black or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, which smells like treated pipe or cigar tobacco.
    Primrose, it looks interesting! I like tobacco scents, but Ineke site doesn't ship to Brazil, even the samples

A year and a half later, how do you feel about it Primmy?
    I recently got this in a swap.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    A year and a half later, how do you feel about it Primmy?
    I recently got this in a swap.
    hedonist, this is the only scent from the Ineke line in which I have a full bottle.

I like the idea of a small niche company being a success, and I understand her scents are now found in the more luxe department stores. I wish her well. So far, no commercial nastiness like one sees from the likes of Bond No. 9, who went after small artisan perfumers like Anya McCoy and Liz Zorn, or Parfums D'Orsay, who went and copyrighted a generic word like "dandy," thereby obliging Guerlain to remove Arsene Lupin Dandy from their shelves and re-release the scent, which was an exclusive.

I understand the Ineke line ventured to make some scents for Anthropologie stores, as did Le Labo. No knowledge of how these scents fared commercially to the average Anthropologie customer. (The store sells an eclectic blend of home decor, jewellery and women's clothing.)

I wear Field Notes from time to time in warmer weather, but, again, it's not like the full tobacco of By Kilian's Back to Black, Fumerie Turque or even Habanita. The tobacco is blended with more citruses and florals.
    Last edited by Primrose; 29th January 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks for the insight Primrose.
    I probably would never have bought it for the price they sell it here ($200). I got it in a swap for a perfume I did not find very appealing.

I do like it though. I may not be enamored with it but its nice. Scent (who needs to be more active on BN!!!) said it smelled a bit generic and I agreed but the coriander accord is good.

for swap/sale:

A little bit more orange blossom for me than I'd prefer, but still a quality scent, and one that can definitely be worn by either a man or woman.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

I found it eventually too sweet and artificial smelling. The picture I had in mind was coffee with lots of milk in it.

I had high hopes for this one but found it rather unappealing. 10/10 for presentation though.

hedonist, this is the only scent from the Ineke line in which I have a full bottle.

I like the idea of a small niche company being a success, and I understand her scents are now found in the more luxe department stores. I wish her well. So far, no commercial nastiness like one sees from the likes of Bond No. 9, who went after small artisan perfumers like Anya McCoy and Liz Zorn, or Parfums D'Orsay, who went and copyrighted a generic word like "dandy," thereby obliging Guerlain to remove Arsene Lupin Dandy from their shelves and re-release the scent, which was an exclusive.

I understand the Ineke line ventured to make some scents for Anthropologie stores, as did Le Labo. No knowledge of how these scents fared commercially to the average Anthropologie customer. (The store sells an eclectic blend of home decor, jewellery and women's clothing.)

I wear Field Notes from time to time in warmer weather, but, again, it's not like the full tobacco of By Kilian's Back to Black, Fumerie Turque or even Habanita. The tobacco is blended with more citruses and florals.
    What did Bond.No9 do in going after Liz Zorn?

are any reliable online retailers carrying this brand?