Code of Conduct

Default Feeling overwhelmed by the selection.

Hi, so right about now i feel like there is too much out there for me to sample. I feel like it would take me a life time to test and understand every possible fragrance there is. I'm feeling like i need to focus on one thing and expand my knowledge in that area.

Has anyone ever felt like that? I love this hobby but latley its beggining to feel like a chore rather than a luxury.

I have a question for Mr. Guerlain, is that why you chose to stick with guerlain, or was there another reason?

Default Re: Feeling overwhelmed by the selection.

It would help if you gave us some idea of where you're at right now. Do you know the difference between an aquatic and an oriental? If so, do you understand the difference between a fougere and a chypre? If you know you don't like one kind of frag, then you can eliminate the ones that are similar. If you know you dislike a note, you can see if reviewers say that the note is strong in a particular frag that interests you. You can ask questions here, as you have done, but be specific !

It depends on what decade interests you with regards to fragrances. If it is the 21st century, that can indeed be overwhelming, as many of the lesser perfumes have yet to be discontinued, presenting you with a large selection. If it is the 20th century, you may be surprised how limited the selection really is when you start to look. Many fragrances from that period have been discontinued - only the best remain.
    Last edited by Asmo; 23rd April 2010 at 10:30 PM.

Embrace your hobby , theres no hurry to try everything all at once . Im still a newbie and have much to learn , its great fun .... enjoy

I personally have never felt that way. At least, not yet.

i guess it kind of feels like i have to exhaust every single possibility before i can truly say A HA, there it is! this is the answer i've been looking for, my search has now ended.
    I guess this hobby has become an unquenchable thirst, never to be satisfied. i wonder if psychology has a name for this possible syndrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
    i guess it kind of feels like i have to exhaust every single possibility before i can truly say A HA, there it is! this is the answer i've been looking for, my search has now ended.
    I guess this hobby has become an unquenchable thirst, never to be satisfied. i wonder if psychology has a name for this possible syndrome?
    You'll never find the "answer." However, it sure is fun enjoying all there is to be had. I say don't feel overwhelmed - just jump in and enjoy everything there is to be offered. It truly is a fun experience!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I'd say enthusiasm.

on that note:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthusi...type%29#Sevens

I could certainly see someone becoming obsessed with it, and I may have been borderline at some point too (LOL). However, it sounds like you are one the frag "Holy Grail" quest, but I no longer concern myself with this kind of idea. In fact, it is only if I don't wear a frag for a couple of weeks that I can really appreciate it. Fortunately, I recognized early on that a rotation that never gets boring is what I'm seeking, not "perfection" or anything all that close to it. The first wearing or two is often incredible, followed by a certain amount of "letdown," but if you have a big rotation there is much less of one.

I was just in San Francisco for a few weeks, where there is an enormous selection of fragrance on offer, particularly niche and exclusives that aren't available outside of major world-class cities. I smelled hundreds of fragrances there. I bought none, and carried on my fairly routine purchasing scheme of one bottle a month, averaging my spending less than a 100$ total on what really is my only hobby. ( I figure - I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't have expensive tastes in most things, why begrudge myself that? )

When I first joined Basenotes I felt in a rush to own a "wardrobe" of fragrances, and acquired a number of bottles I've since regretted. I felt I had to sample everything in a few months. I've since slowed down a lot, because ultimately - there is no hurry. Fragrance isn't going anywhere.

Enjoy the exploration process. We've all learned what we know now bit by bit, and there's always so much more to know than any of us can.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The French call it l'embarras du choix, "the burden of choice." For me, it's hard not to choose all of them, at least the good ones. Have no fear; the perfumers will keep putting out new ones, reformulating old ones, and "reviving" discontinued ones. My guess is, if you're like a lot of us on Basenotes, you're in it for the long haul!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 24th April 2010 at 09:02 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Well like someone else mentioned here. You don't have to sample EVERYTHING. Narrow it down to the genres you like.

Dixon, i know exactly how you feel. It’s Basenotes fault and a shortcoming of the internet. Everytime i read something interesting here – a suggestion for something i might, a great review, etc. – there’s no way to smell it right now. I can’t just download the fragrance, i have to sample it. Curiously enough, it’s easier for me to sample niche frags (in europe). But the gap between reading about something i want to try and receiving a sample is annoying – on the other hand finally receiving a batch of samples is awesome.

Yeah, OCD. I feel the same way.....

well obviously you haven't sampled Kouros yet
    Knize Ten !

I'm sure it varies for everyone. For me, after about six months I slowed way down and became much more discerning.

You learn a lot about frags in here, and more importantly you develop an ability to truly distinguish what you like.

But in the beginning, it was discovering a whole new world and a bit overwhelming indeed.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 24th April 2010 at 11:23 PM.

My advice is to sample the 'most reviewed' fragrances (see the review directory main page on BN). Then sample what seems good to you, and leave it at that. There are way too many fragrances out there, and it would take years to sample them all.

Otherwise, it might be a good idea to think about what you want in a fragrance, like fresh VS spicy VS musky (or all of the above) and then create a thread or search the database in search for the kind of thing you want. That way you won't have to sample everything.

Finally, even though it may seem like there is always a better fragrance around the corner, the truth is that whatever you like right now is probably just as good as what you find next, granted you like what you already own or have sampled.
    Sales thread here