Code of Conduct

Default Number of sprays for a light aquatic

My usual fragrance of choice tends to be strong and long lasting, like John Varvatos or Burberry London, however since it's gotten towards spring / summer, I picked up a few samples of fresh aquatics to wear, most notably True Religion and Bvlgari Aqua. I absolutely LOVED True Religion, so I got a bottle of it, however I've noticed that it often doesn't last very long with just one spray to each wrist or backhand. I have fairly dry skin, which tends to exacerbate the problem, however the fragrance is still short lived to begin with.

I've always followed the "no more than 3 sprays" rule, but that's usually because I wear heavier fragrances as noted above. Would it be overkill to bend that in the case of a spring / summer fragrance like this? I've tried spraying two sprays on each wrist in my own privacy and I've noticed that it seems to last much, much longer on me, however I'm not sure how that would be perceived by others - we all know how that can be.

TLDR: Is 5 sprays (two on each wrist, one on the neck / chest) too much for a short-lived fresh aquatic like True Religion? Or will that not be overkill?

Default Re: Number of sprays for a light aquatic

Only you would know how many sprays are enough for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Only you would know how many sprays are enough for yourself.
    /Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
    /Agree
    /disagree completely. How many stories are in this forum about over-applying without realizing it? Your nose gets accustomed to the fragrance and you don't notice it any more, but everyone else in the room will. The worst judge in the world for whether you've applied too is your own nose =P

Instead of wearing a lot of it in the morning (or whenever), consider carrying a small bottle to re-apply.

Most aquatics actually last a lot longer than they are typically given credit for here. I wouldn't go more than 3 sprays of Bulgari Aqua, for instance. It easily lasts all day on me. Versace PH is a 2 spray max scent for me - it lasts 12+ hours easily.

Aquatics are 'light' and b/c of that I think they are easier for our noses to lose track of, but most of them are quite strong and project very well.

For a first wearing, I'd start with 2 sprays of any scent (applied to the mid chest or lower to avoid olfactory fatigue from overexposure to the nose), and adjust it from there (except Montales, of which I would aim to do a 1/2 spray if possible! )
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 23rd April 2010 at 10:45 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Something like AdG I'd do 5+ which isn't a lot really. Virtually all aquatics react in a more intense way based on application.. you always need more. I'd say 5 is normal, 10 would be a lot but still ok.

I do 4-5 for summer fragrances like Versace Eau Fraiche, AdG, etc. Haven't smelled true religion but if its anything like those than that should be a good amount.

Bvlgari Aqva isn't a weak aquatic. I use it for Spring and Summer too and when I first start wearing it again I use 1-2 sprays. After a while I may wear 3 but people will notice as we have gotten used to it. A little body heat doesn't hurt to bring the scent back to life. Had a girl at work comment on my cologne after moving some boxes.
    Regards to places on the body to spray I stay away from the neck. It is too close to my nose and ruins scents for me. Can alway put some behind your knees after your chest and elbows.

Sur la Plage

As many as YOU think is appropriate.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Most aquatics actually last a lot longer than they are typically given credit for here. I wouldn't go more than 3 sprays of Bulgari Aqua, for instance. It easily lasts all day on me. Versace PH is a 2 spray max scent for me - it lasts 12+ hours easily.

Aquatics are 'light' and b/c of that I think they are easier for our noses to lose track of, but most of them are quite strong and project very well.

For a first wearing, I'd start with 2 sprays of any scent (applied to the mid chest or lower to avoid olfactory fatigue from overexposure to the nose), and adjust it from there (except Montales, of which I would aim to do a 1/2 spray if possible! )
    I must say I 100% agree with everything SoS says (except about the Montales which I haven't tried). Bvlgari Aqva is good for me for a full day at 2-3 sprays. Sorry, I haven't tried True Religion, but I'm going to have to seek it out.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Something like AdG I'd do 5+ which isn't a lot really. Virtually all aquatics react in a more intense way based on application.. you always need more. I'd say 5 is normal, 10 would be a lot but still ok.
    I have applied 5 of AdG, but recently discovered that I enjoy it SO much more in lesser quantities. I now do 2 max on this one too, and have a renewed love for it. I had stopped wearing it because it did go "dryer sheet" on me and got a bit cloying. Not with only 2 sprays though.

spray ,babe,spray
    I loooooooove aquatics on men

Dont worry, My nose is sensitive to overspray but I use 5-6 sprays with fresh stuff like Aqva, ADG or Gucci 2 no prob. 2 on chest, 2 on neck and 2 on wrists.

Fresh fragrances doesn`t last very long on me, so i use 5 spray of Creed Erolfa, 5 spray of GIT, and 8-9 spray of Millesime Imperial..

Cool Re: Number of sprays for a light aquatic

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Instead of wearing a lot of it in the morning (or whenever), consider carrying a small bottle to re-apply.
    +1

( And it's not a bad idea to ask someone you trust if they can still smell it on you after you think it's disappeared.)

Take Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes. (I'm not fond of the concentree version) You could spray it 10 times and it'll still vanish in two hours, max. Though I grant that for the first half-hour you'll be . . . um overwhelming (?)

But this fragrance begins and ends as a citrus, despite the oakmoss and patchouli base notes; so the small bottle-reapply solution works well.

Dealing with Jicky, it would be a different story entirely, as it ends in strong balsamic notes. You'd need almost infinite patience to re-apply since you'd have to wait for the balsamic notes to vanish completely or wear a fragrance 'backwards' just to keep it going as it dies down on your skin.

I haven't the foggiest as to True Religion; may Zeus forgive me, but if it's in the Hermes camp: go with the small bottle solution.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 24th April 2010 at 03:43 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Trial and error. Do you have a friend who can give you objective feedback? Not all aquatics are created equal. For example, when I wore 3 sprays of AdG to work, nobody thought it was offensive. When I wore the same amount of sprays of Versace Man Eau Fraiche to work, I was almost run out of town with pitchforks and shovels.

Experiment with it, and get feedback from people.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 24th April 2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

never have a standard norm, but although 4-8 sprays will do in my case, there are some light aquatics where a generous application of 10+ is not wrong