Code of Conduct

Thread: 212/Mugler

Default 212/Mugler

Does anyone have any recommendations for scents that falls somewhere between 212 Men and Mugler Cologne? I'm sure there's some out there, but I'm relatively new to fragrance.
    I was thinking maybe Bond No 9 Grammercy Park.

Default Re: 212/Mugler

I have both, so I think I have an idea of the vibe you're shooting for. Definitely a green type frag, but maybe a bit soapy as well? How about Liz Clairbourne Sport or Perry Ellis America? Maybe a nice vetiver like Calvin Klein Truth?

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I have both, so I think I have an idea of the vibe you're shooting for. Definitely a green type frag, but maybe a bit soapy as well? How about Liz Clairbourne Sport or Perry Ellis America? Maybe a nice vetiver like Calvin Klein Truth?
    I think Liz Claibourne Sport might be the one out of that list that comes closest.
    I'm looking for a citrusy, green, slightly spicy and SLIGHTLY soapy scent.
    It's not that I dislike 212 or Mugler, but I really like my previously stated scent. Mugler is nice too but it just does not last on me. I've actually mixed 212 and Mugler for kicks, and it's pretty nice. Sort of dampens the sharpness of 212.

I don't remember Mugler Cologne that much, but you could try Azzaro Chrome or Bulgari eau parfumée au thé vert

Another possibility would be to try 212 splash or 212 on ice. These offshoots of 212 still retain qualities of the original, but give it that more summery feel.

Oh Yeah! Chrome is great too! Saw that one mentioned earlier. I once heard Chrome described as smelling like having taken the best shower ever. I totally agree! Some say too metallic, but I love it on hot days, and so do a lot of the ladies that have smelled it on me!

I want to keep the metallic note segregated to 212 Men. Looked at a review of 212 Men on Ice, and the guy mentioned L'eau D'issey. Seems kinda busy for what I want, but the Yuzu, Asian influence is intriguing for me because I lived in Japan for about 3 years. 212 Men on Ice seems like it might work too, though the review I saw said it wasn't anything special.

Blog Entries

Viktor & Rolf Antidote may be worth sampling. Also (though I've not yet tried it), I've seen Paul Smith Story described as similar to Mugler Cologne. I'm looking to sample this one myself. It could be on the 212 Men side of Mugler, just not sure.

I love both Mugler and 212 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by westpac690 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for scents that falls somewhere between 212 Men and Mugler Cologne? I'm sure there's some out there, but I'm relatively new to fragrance.
    I was thinking maybe Bond No 9 Grammercy Park.
    Both of these scents are pretty green (while 212 is partly aquatic) but bright and uplifting green. Gramercy Park is similar but even more green but still very uplifting and a unique fun green fragrance. Chrome is more of a musky floral citrus and I don't detect any green in it. Guerlain Vetiver is something you might like. Original Vetiver and Paul Smith Story are very similar as well.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I sampled Paul Smith story and didn't like it at all. It had this thing about it that reminded me of mowing the lawn... weeds and all. I disliked it so much that I've resisted the urge to buy a sample of Mugler cologne as I've seen it compared to paul smith story so often. I'm a frag newb tho so take anything I say with a grain of salt. Still under 20 frags sampled/purchased.That said I'd purchase chrome if not for the metalic vibe so many enjoy about it. Outside of loving Eau Sauvage and Guerlain Homme ( neither of which I own $$$) I'm still pretty lost as to what to do for a summer scents.
    Last edited by Rastamojo; 24th April 2010 at 06:27 PM.

I think that Mugler Cologne is something that every cologne fanatic should sample. I believe that samples are relatively easy to find on ebay. I don't really see how anyone could draw many comparisons to this and Paul Smith Story. I own a small bottle of Story, and I think it has a very earthy type smell. Mugler is a cleaner smell. It's something that you might like if you wished you could concentrate the smell of a soap like Irish Spring into a fragrance. Even though I'd probably never be a poster child for Paul Smith Story, I really believe that Paul Smith Extreme should be a staple in every man's collection.

How about something that leans more towards the citrus? Something that is mainly lemon-lime, with green/grass in the background??

I got that one covered! Try some Eau de Rochas. You can get a .34 ounce mini from Fragrance Shop for 9.99 and free shipping. A lemon/lime opening with a vetiver drydown. I got a mini myself. This stuff is not discussed much, but I urge you to check out the positive feedback on this one. Again, I think this one works better in hot weather, with the lemon/lime, but I think it would be a great investment and solid addition to you collection.

Blog Entries

L'eau par Kenzo - the yuzu (japanese lemon if I understand correctly) is wonderful.