Code of Conduct

Default Is there a niche version or alternative to Givenchy's Pi?

Pi by Givenchy is perhaps the first fragrance that really made me take perfume seriously. I constantly go back to it, although at times I do find it a bit linear after constant wearing. I would really love to find a niche alternative to it , something that displays the same notes and characteristics , yet has perhaps a superior ingredients. I have read in an earlier thread praising Pi that Imperial Opopanax by les Nereides shares similar qualities, although in some reviews I read on this fragrance it has been compared to the scent of chlorine which I don't find in Pi. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Is there a niche version or alternative to Givenchy's Pi?

Amouage - Epic, G. Nejman - Le Professionnel, Parfum d'Empire - Eau de Gloire share similar notes mainly myrtle, patchouli, myrrh so maybe worth sampling.

I think Rochas man is similar but more sophisticated
    Evenstar

Maybe you could try and sample Shalimar Edp, the transistion from opopanax to vanilla is fantastic
    Knize Ten !

I haven`t smelled anything like Pi, atleast nothing that I would consider to be at the same time similar and superior ingredients wise.

My suggestion is that you will find a bottle of Pi *Eau de Parfum*. It is rare yes, but not impossible to find. For starters, try some google.

I once had a bottle of this EdP, but I dropped it and it shattered into dozen pieces. (true story)
    Pi EdP is available in 30ml bottle only, it is more concentrated than EdT, more refined and rich especially when it comes those vanillic woody notes. It is less sweet and "mature", if you will...

I myself prefer EdT version of Pi, though. I love it as long as I don`t overspay.
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 26th April 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: hoono enklanti

I dont know about those Eau de Glrie recommendations...
    After all, Pi is one big, fat vanilla. So the best way might be to check out niche vanillas.
    The ones popping to (my) mind are for starters:

Havanna Vanille (l'artisan)
    SDV (Guerlain)
    Tobacco Vanille (tom ford)

Did you try these?

If you like Pi then I'd recommend you try Jaipur Homme. It's a very sophisticated vanilla based scent that I find more complex and versatile than Pi.

I agree that you need to try some Rochas Man. I really couldn't tolerate Pi, but I really like Rochas Man. Many basenoters seem to agree that it is a great frag and gets many compliments. When I smell Pi, I think of Cotton Candy. Rochas Man gives me the impression of a gourmet chocolate.

acier aluminum or royal delight by creed both are sweet. to me RD smells like root beer.

Havana Vanille is quite close to Pi ,in my opinion.

I didn't notice the similarity to Imperial Opoponax but yes, it is true thay do have something in common (I have a bottle of it).
    Pi reminds me of Chergui and the more rare Jil Sander Background.

Serge Lutens Une Bois Vanille ( I hope I spelled that right !). I like it better. Okay, it is not powdery like Pi. But just buy it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I have Imperial Opoponax and it doesn't remind me of Pi.

The one that reminded me of Pi is Zegna Colonia, but it has citrusy topnotes.

I have tried and owned both Rochas Man and Jaipur Homme. With Rochas Man, I find absolutely no similarity to Pi. I find them different altogether. To me, Rochas is almost a pure gourmand whereas Pi is a more classic oriental. As for Jaipur Homme, I find it smells very dated and not nearly as pleasant as Pi. I have also tried Guerlain's SDV and Tom Ford's TV, but yet again not similar. The mentioning of Imperial Opopanax, Shalimar Edp and Serge Luten's do intrigue me. I wonder which of those, if any, most closely resembles Pi.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Serge Lutens Une Bois Vanille ( I hope I spelled that right !). I like it better. Okay, it is not powdery like Pi. But just buy it.
    + 1, word for word.

Wifey, who owns UBV was the first to comment on its similarity with my Pi. And she has a keen nose.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!