Code of Conduct

Default Un Bois Vanille vs Aomassai

I just got a sample of Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens, and I was taken aback by how much I loved it. I thought I wouldn't like it because I prefer darker fragrances, but this is just so sweet and comforting but yet not cloying (in small amounts).

I read that Aomassai by Parfumerie Generale is a strong sweet burnt caramel scent, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried them both? I hope that burnt caramel will give it more masculine. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Un Bois Vanille vs Aomassai

Own the Lutens and have tried the PG. I rate both highly but really is caramel more masculine than vanilla?

They are both very high quality (IMO) quite sweet, (but not cloying) gourmands - not mutually exclusive - you could own both if you have a sweet tooth.

Dependent

I own and use both. Aomassai - hazelnut toffee/burnt sugar (plus other notes) - isn't as sweet, creamy, or thick/heavy as UBV, and does feel a little oily (come to think of it, a number of PG scents feel that way to me). Chances are, if you don't find UBV to be feminine, you wouldn't find Aomassai to be either. I agree with Mr. R, they're not mutually exclusive. Both are very good scents, though personally, there are a couple of vanilla-centric scents I prefer over UBV.

Hope this helps...

Thanks. I'm hoping that Aomassai would be more masculine because I'd imagine that the slightly bitter tinge of burnt caramel would make it dirtier. Personally, I think if people feel that Pure Malt is perfectly fine for a guy to wear, I don't see why Un Bois Vanille would be a problem. I just ordered a sample of Aomassai, but I'm scared that I will like it because it might mean that I'll have to get both fragrances! *sigh*

Well, good things come in 3's, so when you've picked up the Lutens & PG you might like to check this one out - not a personal favourite but it may address your particular craving.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128654.html

Basenotes Institution

Both are good. Both are unisex and will wear comfortably on a man. I own neither, though, not because I don't like them but because I would rarely wear either in the warm climate here in Miami. But maybe one of these days, I will buy decants of these to have for cool evenings. Especially the Aomassai...it's so wonderfully comforting.

Oh man! $225 for 75ml?! Whao... I think I'm going to get a sample of Spiritueuse Double Vanille first. Actually, I thought I was set with vanilla based orientals like L'instant pH and Jaipur pH, but I just couldn't believe how much I kept sniffing my wrist after applying Un Bois Vanille. I just hope I don't love it too much that I end up buying all these fragrances!