Code of Conduct

Default Your favorite summer oriental fragrances.......

Apart from 1970s/1980s powerhouse fragrances, my favorite general category of fragrances are the orientals. I live in northern Illinois, USA, and the summers here get rather warm and humid, although nothing even remotely similar to central African, southeast Asian or Australian heat/humidity.

Since our group has members from almost every continent, I am curious to know which oriental fragrances all of you prefer in the intense summer heat (and even if only for 6 weeks or so, we all experience at least a degree of hot, humid weather).

In the hottest, most humid weather, I am able to comfortably wear the following from my wardrobe:

Apparition Homme Intense by Ungaro
    Carven Homme by Carven
    Plus Plus Masculine by Diesel
    DNA for Men (original) by Bijan
    Corduroy by Zirh
    Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast
    Guess Suede by Guess
    Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme
    Mauboussin Homme by Mauboussin
    Signature pour Homme by ST Dupont
    Yatagan by Caron
    Witness by Jacques Bogart (I have been told that this one is 'sublime' in the heat, from a B-noter whose opinion is to me, as good as gold! I can hardly wait to give it a go!)

Please let us know which oriental fragrances you can get away with wearing on the hottest, most humid days of your summer.
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 26th April 2010 at 10:55 AM.

Default Re: Your favorite summer oriental fragrances.......

I generally don't wear orientals in the hot weather, but if I had to pick one, probably Ted Lapidus Pour Lui.

I wear Bijan... I also want to try DNA and Witness, but nobody sells samples.

If you had never smelled Bijan Men and Bijan DNA (original) before and someone gave you samples without telling you the names, could you have guessed they were made by the same designer, SillageMonger?
    Last edited by Asmo; 26th April 2010 at 11:44 AM.

Long hot humid summers here and I flip from Citrus / Fougere / EdC style to Orientals from time to time:

PdN New York
    Amouage Reflection Man & Epic Woman
    Mazzolari Lui
    MPG Eau des Iles & Santal Noble
    Chanel Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
    I wear Bijan... I definitely want to try DNA and Witness, but nobody sells samples.

If you had never smelled Bijan Men and Bijan DNA (original) before and someone gave you samples without telling you the names, could you have guessed they were made by the same designer, SillageMonger?
    Not a chance, Asmo!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have lived all my life here in the West African tropics where it is hot and humid almost all year round, and enjoyed all my frags since the mid '70s. These include all the frags in my wardrobe (current collection and used-to-own). Actually, it was here on BaseNotes i became aware of the "phenomenon" of certain scents for certain seasons. Thank goodness i am not so constrained.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
    ...If you had never smelled Bijan Men and Bijan DNA (original) before and someone gave you samples without telling you the names, could you have guessed they were made by the same designer, SillageMonger?
    The only thing they have in common is the Brand name. I am certain Mr Bijan had nothing to do with DNA. A really sad decline of the house after the Bijan Men era.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 26th April 2010 at 12:02 PM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I have lived all my life here in the West African tropics where it is hot and humid almost all year round, and enjoyed all my frags since the mid '70s. These include all the frags in my wardrobe (current collection and used-to-own). Actually, it was here on BaseNotes i became aware of the "phenomenon" of certain scents for certain seasons. Thank goodness i am not so constrained.
    Very happy to hear this perfaddict! So I'm not nuts because I love to wear orientals in the summer heat?

I would suggest Jaipur Homme. It's a light oriental, so it should be wearable in the summer.

Oriental Lounge

Hermès Equipage.

Habit Rouge edc.

I prefer to wear Salvador Dali's Laguna in the summer. Even though it's an oriental, it has a tropical vibe to it that goes really well with warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    I prefer to wear Salvador Dali's Laguna in the summer. Even though it's an oriental, it has a tropical vibe to it that goes really well with warm weather.
    Agreed. Laguna Homme's got that crisp salty oceanic note that really balances the sweet tonka base. I've also gotten a lot of compliments from women on Laguna Homme.

I also second Habit Rouge EDC. I can't imagine wearing the other incarnations of HR in the heat, but the EDC is pretty nice in the summer when worn with semi-formal attire.

I also like Helmut Lang EDC in the summer, but I have to be careful how I wear it (and this applies to the Habit Rouge also). If I put it on after I get out of the shower while my skin is hot, it's like a huge powder bomb, and I don't like it. If I use it as a pick me up when I need to be refreshed, it's an awesome fresh vanilla/musk scent.

Carroll's Royal Briar
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Armand Basi homme
    Opium pour homme Eau d'Orient
    But I also will wear Kouros and M7 on summer nights, when it's cooled off a bit.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

OPIUM POUR HOMME EAU D'ORIENT. Heck, it even has Orient in its name.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I think Armani Code (2004), by Giorgio Armani, fits the bill as a light oriental, perfect for summer. At night, I would give L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (2004), by Guerlain, a chance.
    And don't forget that Allure Homme Edition Blanche (2008), by Chanel, is considered an oriental, and Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge (2002), by Jacomo, a light A*Men (light Body Kouros for me). I also recommend Ferré for Him (2007), by Gianfranco Ferré, although techinically it is a Woody Floral Musk, but smells like a light oriental for me.
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 27th April 2010 at 05:53 AM.

I look forward to lots of Chergui this (hopefully hot) summer. I like it better in warm weather as it then develops into something really rich and radiating but still airy.

Thanks, guys, for all of the great suggestions!

The two I thought of immediately has been mentioned: Guerlain's Habit Rouge and L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme.

Armani Code and the new A*Men Sunessence edition Orage d'été

Dior Homme Intense
    Opium pH EDP
    Every time is perfect time, I don´t give a damn for seasons....