Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Blown away by........... Azzaro pH!!

Wow, this stuff gave me a totally different impression of the Azzaro house. Not only that but I'm sure many may get a different impression of me when they see that I'm siding with this oldie. Oldie but goody without doubt is Azzaro pH. I don't particularly despise fragrances from the 70's and 80's.. it's just that many are very hard to wear for me.

As soon as PH hit my skin I said to myself -- this is gonna take a while to get used to. Although the opening reminded me very much of Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford, does anybody else feel this way? The dry down took a completely different turn, a turn for the best. It got sweet, I smelled a very pleasant vetiver, patchouli, and some lavender from the top; then later on some sandalwood. Excellent oldie that totally blew me away. Superb in every stage, from its Grey Vetiver like opening to its fantastic dry down, I now see why some of you guys are fascinated with this stuff. Sillage is perfect and "in the zone" and longevity is excellent as well. My one complaint is about 2-5 minutes into the fragrance it turns into a very sharp pine that was just bugging the hell out of me, I was praying that it would go away and it actually did quickly! After that it's like it transformed into something more modern. It actually reminded me of Drakkar Noir in some ways, though nothing like the scent except for maybe the lavender. It has that same sort of build quality with the strong intense 80s like opening then calms down significantly.

My overall impression of Azzaro pH: masterpiece.

Cool Re: Blown away by........... Azzaro pH!!

Glad you found this!
    Some consider it the best men's Fougère, ever.

The painful 2-5 minutes is worth it. On me it lasts 5-10. I believe it's flennel crashing against anise but I'm not sure.
    It does have monster sillage. If Blenheim Bouquet and Vintage Tabarome express aristocratic disdain, Azzaro feels more like a union leader with underworld connections, a pro boxer, or a self made millionaire.

Highly recommended while playing poker and raising it up.
    If any of the players ask what you're wearing, shrug and say you forgot-- but you think it's Acqua di Gio

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: Blown away by........... Azzaro pH!!

An overall pleasant scent that I find myself never getting tired of.

it is a mature scent and very strong, i like bois du portugal that i think is strong and mature but also refined if you like azzaro ph you will like bois du portugal if you do not already.

I could do without the first 45 minutes, but after that it's a pretty amazing fragrance. And I'm not a fougere fan or a fan of 70s scents in general. Everyone should try this.

I recently purchased a 1.7 fl oz bottle of this at a killer price. I am very impressed with this juice, it is a nice frag, with a refined presence. I have worn this for the past 4 days, and just love it! I have also received many compliments from the ladies.... = )

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    I could do without the first 45 minutes, but after that it's a pretty amazing fragrance. And I'm not a fougere fan or a fan of 70s scents in general. Everyone should try this.
    intense as hell aint it? i thought i saw satan and life flashing before my eyes smelling it.

I just bought a couple of 'vintage' cheapies, including Azzaro pH, Paco Rabanne pH and Quorum. Of the 3, I only like Quorum. I don't get anything modern about Azzaro or Paco at all; they just remind me of old barbershops and hot towels. If you like this, you should try Aramis too.

The drydown of Azzaro pH is amazing. I like it more than Rive Gauche pH which is sort of the modern version of Azzaro pH.

Welcome to the Azzaro Pour Homme fan club, Cologneist. You're wearing one of the all time greats. It is one of the most perfectly balanced masculine fragrances ever made, IMO, vintage or current formulation. Enjoy.

Just remember that it's very common to think that a frag is incredible on the first wearing, and then by the third to think that it's not nearly as good as you thought it was. This has happened to me so many times that I often avoid a "full" wearing for a week or more after receiving the sample or bottle.

I almost picked this up the other day. I'm gonna have to go back and get it. I went with a blind buy of deseo for men and was pleasantly surprised. Cool bottle and pretty good smell. Haven't worn it yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I just bought a couple of 'vintage' cheapies, including Azzaro pH, Paco Rabanne pH and Quorum. Of the 3, I only like Quorum. I don't get anything modern about Azzaro or Paco at all; they just remind me of old barbershops and hot towels. If you like this, you should try Aramis too.
    Thanks Aramis has been on my test list for a while, I hope to one day find it in like a Marshall's or something and with an open box so I can hopefully get a whiff; I never see samples of it, and it's not something I would buy blind.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Welcome to the Azzaro Pour Homme fan club, Cologneist. You're wearing one of the all time greats. It is one of the most perfectly balanced masculine fragrances ever made, IMO, vintage or current formulation. Enjoy.
    LOL, I want a bottle now <adds to wish list> It's truly a masterpiece. I'm a bit shocked though to see your wardrobe icon is Azzaro though and not Paco Rabanne.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Just remember that it's very common to think that a frag is incredible on the first wearing, and then by the third to think that it's not nearly as good as you thought it was. This has happened to me so many times that I often avoid a "full" wearing for a week or more after receiving the sample or bottle.
    You're absolutely right, but the thing with this is that I've actually worn it twice now, the first time I was actually less pleased than now. This time it was something amazing. Like that perfect versatile powerhouse I've been looking for.

Congratulations to join the "old men scents" club, there are many other gems to discover.
    By the way, there is also a Azzaro ph Intense version.

I've also recently discovered the glory of Azzaro PH!! - It really is superbly crafted and well balanced - just the right amount of projection and sillage. I like it best on warm days where you feel like you're wrapped in a warm orange glow - it feels very sunny and mediterranean - I feel like I've being missing out on something very special...!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the ApH Fan Club! ApH is indeed a reference frag, like Mitsouko, i suppose. Azzaro is a frag that changes peoples' mindsets about age, datedness, etc.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    LOL, I want a bottle now <adds to wish list> It's truly a masterpiece. I'm a bit shocked though to see your wardrobe icon is Azzaro though and not Paco Rabanne.
    I put Azzaro and Paco Rabanne on equal footing, though if you pin me to a wall and force me to choose one, I'd pick Paco Rabanne simply because it has a greenness that Azzaro does not have. The two are so close in my book it doesn't even matter.

Actually I picked Azzaro over Paco for an icon simply because it looked a little cooler.

Huge congratulations for discovering and loving this magnificent scent! Its such a wonderful feeling when you find a fragrance that you just 'get'.

Apart from smelling just great from start to finish (I don't get the 'difficult' opening that others allude to) Azzari PH just exudes natural confidence. I actually feel calmer and more self-assured when wearing this. Sort of relaxed in my own skin. I'm a firm believer that you should wear any fragrance you like whenever you like. Life's too short to worry about whether a fragrance is too young or mature etc. But I would caveat that by saying that Azzaro PH's sweet spot age-wise is your 30s. It sits just perfectly.

Unlike others I find this very wearable in summer. Just one spray is fine. Its powerful but used in moderation I personally don't find it overwhelming.

I also love Paco Rabbane PH and Quorum. Again, if they are very carefully applied, one or two sprays maximum, then they are all terrific.

Azzaro PH is a steal here in the UK. 100ml for £19.99. Quorum can be found for under £10. Last time I bought both of these I joked with the SA that 'I expect you don't get rid of many of these'. She was totally uninterested and bored but replied that both were very steady sellers. Interesting because I never smell these on anyone else in London.

Basenotes Plus

Congrats for discovering this gem. It is a man's cologne from the old school that's for sure... Love it!

My #2. It is the ambergris effect. If you want to try something alike but with a honeyish, mossy and tabaccoish try Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.
    Or if you want to experience the same drydown as Azzaro PH, buy GIT.
    Last edited by steve_123; 27th April 2010 at 07:55 PM.

^^ Yup I love GIT, I get that great subtle longevity from the ambergris as well, I think I may need to try Paco Rabanne and see what all the fuss is about. Ya think it'd be a safe blind buy if I like Azzaro pH and Drakkar Noir, but I dislike Quorum, Brut, Grey Flannel?

DN is probably the least like those because it doesn't have any woodiness, grassiness, or vetiver, but I still love the strong lavender powerhouse opening and the beautiful sweet dry down.

As far as Azzaro pH's opening goes, honestly, I liked that best -- it very much reminded me of Grey Vetiver's opening which is something I've been looking for. I actually wish Azzaro's opening lasted longer!

I remember trying PR sometime ago, but far before my nose became more experienced, and several hundred fragrances have been sniffed since then.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 27th April 2010 at 10:33 PM.

Try Taylor of Old Bond Street's Shave Shop aftershave. It goes very well with Azzaro PH!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    ^^ Yup I love GIT, I get that great subtle longevity from the ambergris as well, I think I may need to try Paco Rabanne and see what all the fuss is about. Ya think it'd be a safe blind buy if I like Azzaro pH and Drakkar Noir, but I dislike Quorum, Brut, Grey Flannel?

DN is probably the least like those because it doesn't have any woodiness, grassiness, or vetiver, but I still love the strong lavender powerhouse opening and the beautiful sweet dry down.

As far as Azzaro pH's opening goes, honestly, I liked that best -- it very much reminded me of Grey Vetiver's opening which is something I've been looking for. I actually wish Azzaro's opening lasted longer!

I remember trying PR sometime ago, but far before my nose became more experienced, and several hundred fragrances have been sniffed since then.
    Think of Paco Rabanne as Azzaro PH with green notes and more oakmoss. It does smell a little like Quorum, but not as strong; don't worry, I've always loved Paco R and I used to hate Quorum years ago, so you don't need to assume you won't like PR if you hate Quorum.

Welcome to the Club Cologneist. And You're right, I do have a different impression of You

so is it safe to say if I love Green irish tweed dry down (that kinda sweet, green almost floral smell), azzaro pH is a good blind buy?

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    so is it safe to say if I love Green irish tweed dry down (that kinda sweet, green almost floral smell), azzaro pH is a good blind buy?
    Not really, at least I don't think so. GIT is very GREEN, Azzaro is more of a classic powerhouse. I think what was meant is that they have a similar structure. The ambergris note is very versatile and allows for a subtle dry down to last longer. I'm not 100% sure but I think ambergris when used as a note smells like sandalwood and some other stuff, but the real purpose of ambergris is to slow down the absorption process and allow for the other notes to seep into the base and ultimately increase their longevity. So I'd say if you look at the note pyramid for Azzaro and it looks like something you like then go with it. With Azzaro all of the notes listed are quite detectable, there are no other accords. (except for the sharp pine turn which quickly vanishes)

Azzaro still has that big powerhouse opening, that has "1980" written all over it, so if that's not your thing you may wanna avoid it. While at the same time, that huge opening doesn't last that long, and 20 minutes in it starts to turn into something more modern, more versatile and more inoffensive. I think every fragrance enthusiast needs to try this. With that said -- try it before you buy it.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 28th April 2010 at 08:19 AM.

Basenotes Institution

So prompted by this thread, I decided to crack into my sample of APH that I've had lying around, and wear it today.

Back story: My brother wore this as his signature scent, my whole life growing up. My brother and I are the only two siblings in my family. We are 11 months apart (he's older). We were never close growing up, probably due to the fact that we are wildly different (in looks, style, personality, etc). Smelling APH, it's virtually impossible to not conjure up the image of my brother and our teenage years together (fighting over who's going to drive our parents car; tagging along with him and his friends and him ignoring me; basically him being a d*ck to me, cause I was his pesty little brother). In addition, one year in high school I did a oral report on the subject of perfumery. No lie. I spent about 30 minutes talking about the differences between EdC and EdT, how fragrances are made (I made a simple jasmine EDT out of alcohol solution and jasmine essential oil), the pyramid of notes, etc. I took some fragrances to school to help spray on class participants. My report went quite well - I got an A+! After class, on my way to my locker to lock all of the fragrances up and go to my next class, I dropped the bottle of Azzaro Pour Homme on the floor of the busy high school hallway and it shattered in a million pieces and the smell of APH filled that particular wing of the school for about 2 months. Seriously. Every time I walked by, I could smell APH in the hallway of the school, I would feel a little stupid.

So, needless to say, I do not have positive olfactory experiences with APH.

Wearing it today, though, I am able to break it down and smell it objectively as what it is: a classic men's fougere. Sweeter and heavier than my favorite, Rive Gauche Pour Homme. More sophisticated than Yatagan. I think the trick, wearing it today, is to apply very little. The scent asserts itself from just a tiny application and it doesn't require much juice to really pump out some serious projection. When I used to smell it in the past, I had no idea about ambergris or lavender...but of course now all of those elements present themselves in vivid detail and blend together creating a unified theme.

I am by no means a man's man. Let me clarify that: I work out, I am fairly masculine looking (facial hair, hairy chest) but I am equally in touch with the softer sides of my personality (my extreme emotional sensitivity; allowing myself to cry when I need to). I feel just as comfortable in a huge, indolic, white-floral feminine fragrance like Joy by Jean Patou as I do in APH...but of course the APH just feels more genuine on me. Stronger.

About a couple months ago, my father visited me here in Miami and I had to pick him up at the airport. I sat in front of my wardrobe, for a few minutes, trying to figure out what SOTD to wear. Something that wasn't too strong, smelled serious and perhaps said, 'Hey Dad, you did a good job raising your son!' Of course, fragrances don't convey these types of words to the people who smell them. But still, it was important for me to pick something that spoke to one of the most important men in my life.

I ended up wearing Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Now, wearing Azzaro Pour Homme today, I think this would be an equally good choice.

Basenotes Plus

That's some high school story, Mike. Wow! I wish I was as cool but I think I was more of a fighting fantasy geek with a penchant for doodling... But thanks for sharing.

What Bigsly said earlier seems to ring a little true. As good as ApH is, it does not get as much wearing these days for me...not that I don't love it, just that now that I'm back among younger crowd (early-to-late 20s) in an institution of learning, it does smell a little conservative sometimes.

Was it the new bottle or formulation you did try ?

I did read here at last that azarro will update ph last or this year.

The last time i try it i did recognize that Rive gauche Ph which i am using, isn´t much similar too it. I could own both.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    ...I did read here at last that azarro will update ph last or this year...
    Azzaro released Azzaro Pour Homme Elixir. A flanker yes, but from what I have read about it, it's an entirely different fragrance.

In addition, Azzaro put out a brand new advertising campaign this year for Azzaro Pour Homme - with the face of Enrique Iglesias.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I dropped the bottle of Azzaro Pour Homme on the floor of the busy high school hallway and it shattered in a million pieces and the smell of APH filled that particular wing of the school for about 2 months.
    Great story Mike! Just be thankful it wasn't Giorgio Beverly Hills Men or Kouros you dropped otherwise you'd still be able to smell it today!!

Great story Mike. Yeah, I agree that olfactory experiences can really evoke memories, both good and bad. For me, Azzaro pH reminded me too much of the colognes that my dad used to wear as well as country club changing rooms, things I want to distance myself from. Mind you, I have nothing against my dad or country clubs, just that me as a person is not like my dad and I don't like golf.

I bought this about a month ago and my wife and my secretary each really liked it. Old school for sure, but it just flat-out smells good. And two sprays is plenty.

The three main reasons I love APH so much are:

1. It smells perfectly balanced
    2. Exudes an aura of warmth perfectly
    3. Exudes cool-headed self-confidence

That about says it for me.

Great story Mike. Well put Shamu. Although I've only worn it a couple times now, I can say it's something I truly enjoy. Similar to my story with Fahrenheit.. First time I tried it I was impressed, second time.. more impressed then I finally bought a bottle and have been in love ever since. I doubt APH will replace my pride and joy, but it's like the story of Fahrenheit's growth on me is repeating itself. This has happened with a couple other fragrances as well, but is ever so rare. APH (like Shamu said) is perfectly balanced, a little goes far, perfect sillage, perfect longevity. I'd say most can agree that APH's structure is simply ideal, whether you like the smell or not is another story. A fragrance becomes more than just a fragrance when you put it on and every time it just gets better and better. A handful have given me this experience, I'm now finishing off my sample of APH today and wearing it now (third wearing) and it's better than the first 2 times!
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 28th April 2010 at 09:47 PM.

Great story Mike. Cologneist, Keep trying these Classics Bro, You might find another Gem or two